Can I refuse body scanner at airport?

rnalswls2

The modern scanners they use in the UK and USA are not accepted as safe in many countries. Many European countries won't use them for that reason. If I was pregnant I would opt out and get a pat down , wipes for explosive residue etc . 

I opted out of the scanner at LAX on a domestic flight only because you can if you want to. They are not compulsory. The TSA people remained polite, asked me to stand aside whilst everyone else was snaking through. The TSA staff shout "opt out opt out at 7" something like that. After about 15 mins somebody finally comes and does a pat down. I got the impression that if you opt out the TSA are in no rush to process you so don't do it if you are running late.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

As I'm planning to be pregnant every month

Is that a typo? Even if it says you can refuse in the Thai airport security regs, in reality you'll likely be met with a blank stare when you say you don't want to be wanded or scanned. Guaranteed that if you then tell them you are pregnant and wary, they'll come back with mai pen rai, no prompem or similar.

You should really talk to a physician. In all likelihood, you are exposing yourself to more radiation in the plane than via these new scanners.

Tell them you are pregnant and if they force you get the name and their ID number of the operator, his Supervisor and Airport Security Officer.

Call a Police Officer over and tell the Officer you want to file a criminal/ terror complaint against the idiots.  If he refuses get his badge number.

Take their pictures as well and record the conversation without them knowing it.  In most cases it is legal if you are a party to the conversation.  

If they ask why tell them you will be filing a criminal/terror complaint naming all parties individually, followed  by a wrongful death civil complaint if warranted.

You might warn them that in most cases Corporations will not pay defense costs for gross negligence.  They will have to sustain that expense themselves.

Tell them if they own property they probably should start looking for a rental!

3 hours ago, samsensam said:

if you're pregnant and worried about body scanners get a letter from a doctor, show it politely and calmly to a member of immigration staff, female if possible.

What a good idea for those who have a bomb up their 'arris......:whistling:

1 hour ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

The modern scanners they use in the UK and USA are not accepted as safe in many countries. Many European countries won't use them for that reason. If I was pregnant I would opt out and get a pat down , wipes for explosive residue etc . 

I opted out of the scanner at LAX on a domestic flight only because you can if you want to. They are not compulsory. The TSA people remained polite, asked me to stand aside whilst everyone else was snaking through. The TSA staff shout "opt out opt out at 7" something like that. After about 15 mins somebody finally comes and does a pat down. I got the impression that if you opt out the TSA are in no rush to process you so don't do it if you are running late.

Thanks. Well as long as I know, USA has such a rule to request "pat down" by law and it will be accepted. However I'm not sure if Thailand has such a rule like that... 

5 hours ago, Oxx said:

This statement is extremely unhelpful.  The machines do not use X-rays - they use a non-ionising form of radiation, similar to radio waves which pass through our body all the time.  (It's the ionising aspect of X-rays that makes them dangerous.)  As such there is no "dose" to receive.  The machines pose no health risk.

Actually, it seems George may have a point. Here, for example, is a company that sells "Full Body X-Ray Scanners" for airports and other areas: http://security.adanisystems.com/products/adani-people-screening/

You are pregnant, congratulations,

You are pregnant and are worrying about a body scan?

You are pregnant and worry about the effects of the radiation?

You not worry about that 

In the US, pilots and flight attendants have been officially classed as “radiation workers” by the Federal Aviation Administration since 1994. Staff regularly working on high-latitude flights are exposed to more radiation than workers in nuclear power plants. Despite this, the airlines don’t measure the radiation exposure of their staff, or set safe limits on the doses they can safely receive. 

(Source http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131113-the-supernova-inside-your-plane)

You ever have thought about what happening when you fly?

When you fly you are higher in the atmosphere, meaning closer to the horrible radiation of space 

and also closed the radiation that is normally filtered out.

The body scan does not add to the equation in this.if not even penetrate the body. So it is safe to enter. 

I not understand why you are questioning the body scanner and no the actual flying.

When you are in the city you are expelled tot the electromagnetic field that are proven the at they can be worse for the unborn child as well for human.

You have your smartphone in your purse and that will be around the whom. there are many electronics or electricians that have problems that are related to the exposure of electromagnetic fields.

Your home will have nice wifi baby cam, WIFI, introducing electromagnetic fields that are not there. and all technology is so new we not know the long term effects at all.

Like most Thai houses your Thai house will be made of concrete and you have it air conditioned for your convenience. therfor not well enough ventilated so not ventilated well enough

causing the build up of poisonous radon gas. that causes long problems and even can cause aggressive form of long cancer as is shows in recent European studies.

about the body scanner 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_body_scanner

Starting in 2007, full-body scanners started replacing metal detectors at airports and train stations in many countries. Two advantages of full-body scanners over a physical strip search are that it is quicker (takes only 15 seconds) and that people do not have to physically remove their clothes. In some cases, a clothes-on pat-down is offered as an alternative to a full-body scan. A pat-down is also often used as a follow-up when a suspicious object has been detected by a scan.

Some passengers and issue advocates have objected to having pictures of their naked bodies displayed to screening agents or recorded by the government. Some critics have called the imaging virtual strip searches without probable cause, and some have claimed they are illegal and violate basic human rights.[7] In 2007, a U.S. federal appeals court ruled in a lawsuit brought by the Electronic Privacy Information Center that even the naked-picture version of the technology was a reasonable and constitutional search.[8]

In the United States, pursuant to the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, all full-body scanners operated in airports by the Transportation Security Administration must use "Automated Target Recognition" software, which replaces the picture of a nude body with the cartoon-like representation.[9]

about Radiaion in flight (source http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131113-the-supernova-inside-your-plane)

Cosmic radiation exposure levels during flights vary according to altitude, latitude and the space weather at the time. Typically, passengers flying from London to Chicago could expect to be exposed to around 4.8mrem, and those travelling from Washington DC to Los Angeles would be exposed to close to 2mrem. This compares to an airport body scanner which delivers around 0.1mrem and a chest X-ray that can vary between 2mrem and 10mrem.

As people travel more often and further away, frequent travellers should be aware of their exposure levels, says Mike Lockwood, professor of space environment physics at Reading University in the UK. “No need to panic, but cosmic radiation should not be ignored,” he says.

Edited by Autonuaq

51 minutes ago, rnalswls2 said:

I always use priority pass, which is on a ground floor but there's a body scanner as well, I just used it yesterday. 

There is one but you can refuse.

I normally refuse and they let me use the normal metal detector port instead.

Phuket has/had them also but only for international departures.

I don't know yet if this is still the case in the new temporary domestic building.

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

George he's not calling you ignorant in an abusive way.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

It would have been better if he had said

I am not an expert, but I am also not ignorant of the facts

That would have come over much better

Not being involved, not really my business, just my opinion

So I am out of here 55555555

Travelers with older Pacemakers refuse the scanners. The people doing the scanning are well aware of this and very accomodating with the pat down. My new Pacemaker is supposed to OK with MRI but I probably will opt for the pat down anyway. Don't see how pregnancy would pose a big problem.

3 hours ago, rnalswls2 said:

I always use priority pass, which is on a ground floor but there's a body scanner as well, I just used it yesterday. 

interesting, ive never  seen it, saw  them upstairs  once though, ill have to  look out  for it next time

As  a frequent  flier, female and/or intending pregnancy perhaps you  could consider this link and  many others similar.

Given the  abundance of mostly inconclusive information  I believe  scanners at airports are of  low concern. For those who still use conventional photographic film rather than digital I have  never  heard of  any  genuine issue involving  security scanners which surely  would be any negative indicator..https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15172873

10 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

Personally I prefer to be molested by the airport security than be subjected to the Radiation cancer ray boxes that the other sheeple prefer. 

Never had a problem with refusing, although probably means that they will make the radiation doses compulsory for all travellers soon......

Ridiculous, that we have let our soceity come to this, but we can all thank the Islamers for that.

Well now, you're a piece of work, aren't you?  A tin-foil hat conspiracy nut (you kind of gave it away with your use of the "word" "sheeple") AND a knee-jerk Islamaphobe!  Let me guess...you're a racist too? Congratulations!

Edited by Saastrajaa

54 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

As  a frequent  flier, female and/or intending pregnancy perhaps you  could consider this link and  many others similar.

Given the  abundance of mostly inconclusive information  I believe  scanners at airports are of  low concern. For those who still use conventional photographic film rather than digital I have  never  heard of  any  genuine issue involving  security scanners which surely  would be any negative indicator..https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15172873

The link is utterly irrelevant being an article titled "In-flight radiation exposure during pregnancy".

Must try harder.

8 hours ago, Kabula said:

Tell them you are pregnant and if they force you get the name and their ID number of the operator, his Supervisor and Airport Security Officer.

Call a Police Officer over and tell the Officer you want to file a criminal/ terror complaint against the idiots.  If he refuses get his badge number.

Take their pictures as well and record the conversation without them knowing it.  In most cases it is legal if you are a party to the conversation.  

If they ask why tell them you will be filing a criminal/terror complaint naming all parties individually, followed  by a wrongful death civil complaint if warranted.

You might warn them that in most cases Corporations will not pay defense costs for gross negligence.  They will have to sustain that expense themselves.

And you start that process by telling them that you are pregnant when you don't know if you are or not?

Can't see that working so well in court, especially here. That's a lot of defamation and accusation, if you're only practicing at being pregnant............................:smile:

Just for clarity, and it is Thailand and not America we are talking about, i am assuming Kabua's post is tongue-in-cheek.

23 minutes ago, Oxx said:

The link is utterly irrelevant being an article titled "In-flight radiation exposure during pregnancy".

Must try harder.

Ox . The original post expressed concerns  about exposure to harmful  radiation  from scanning equipment at airports. I offer  no dispute in fact about such concerns.

However as the  op has stated she is a frequent flier who may possibly  fly onlong haul flights Iam  simply suggesting that as of as  muh  concern she has it  is worth considering the  aspect of  more relatively  long term exposure to  cosmic  radiation on such long term  flights.

How is that irrelevant in view of the concern about  exposure to possible radiation risk?

Just now, Dumbastheycome said:

Ox . The original post expressed concerns  about exposure to harmful  radiation  from scanning equipment at airports. I offer  no dispute in fact about such concerns.

However as the  op has stated she is a frequent flier who may possibly  fly onlong haul flights Iam  simply suggesting that as of as  muh  concern she has it  is worth considering the  aspect of  more relatively  long term exposure to  cosmic  radiation on such long term  flights.

How is that irrelevant in view of the concern about  exposure to possible radiation risk?

Try spelling my nick right, Dumbasstheycome - it's simply courteous.

The OP, to quote your words "expressed concerns  about exposure to harmful  radiation  from scanning equipment at airports".

As such your comments about "relatively  long term exposure to  cosmic  radiation on such long term  flights" is 100% off topic.

Just now, Oxx said:

Try spelling my nick right, Dumbasstheycome - it's simply courteous.

The OP, to quote your words "expressed concerns  about exposure to harmful  radiation  from scanning equipment at airports".

As such your comments about "relatively  long term exposure to  cosmic  radiation on such long term  flights" is 100% off topic.

:blink: As  you  wish.  lol

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:23 PM, Kabula said:

Then stand back while they laugh & applaud.  Maybe add something witty like, "' 'Be here all week [which you actually might be.], matinee half-price".  

Are you for real?

@OP:  If you're polite about it, you can probably just request a pat-down.