Tesco 'stays committed to Thailand'

webfact

On 12/4/2016 at 3:11 AM, GinBoy2 said:

Yikes, talk about touching a nerve!

Hey man ,  have  you ever  tried  the  jelly babies,  in Walmart.

A  kid  with  a  gun ,  knows  best .555

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24/11/2016 at 5:10 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Good point. And I find it very odd that Tops, who quite obviously target foreigners with their stock and high prices, totally ignore Christmas items. No mince pies, no Christmas puddings. Nothing festive at all, except the Thai gift baskets.

If you are in BKK, M&S Central World had Christmas puddings a few weeks ago.

...and of course, TESCO along with the rest of them forgot about bringing in Frozen TURKEY Breasts from AUSTRALIA or NZ to compensate for the ban on Turkey Meat from the USA which presumably is still BANNED by the Thai Government.

7 hours ago, phetphet said:

Thanks. I'll be in Bangkok next week. I've usually found what I want at Villa, but M&S is another option. If I'm not too late by then. Just strange that Tops all but ignores Christmas.

M&S Central? Is that a food hall similar to the UK branches? Do they stick much (if any) by way of the cook-chill stuff you could get in the UK? Some of that stuff was quite decent for an easy bite at home following a long day out.

Just mindful of the fact that the M&S I've been to in CM (clothes version) is very expensive for the stuff they sell and what seems like a different line. None of the light weight casual wear you could get in the UK but plenty of thick heavy weight stuff (even if CM weather is cooler at night for 2-3 months of the year).

Posted using Tapatalk

On 06/12/2016 at 8:52 AM, SooKee said:

M&S Central? Is that a food hall similar to the UK branches? Do they stick much (if any) by way of the cook-chill stuff you could get in the UK? Some of that stuff was quite decent for an easy bite at home following a long day out.

Just mindful of the fact that the M&S I've been to in CM (clothes version) is very expensive for the stuff they sell and what seems like a different line. None of the light weight casual wear you could get in the UK but plenty of thick heavy weight stuff (even if CM weather is cooler at night for 2-3 months of the year).

Posted using Tapatalk

No cook chill stuff. It' basically carries a limited version of their men's and women's clothing lines, (men's shorts, shirts, trousers, underwear, jackets etc), and there is a small food section: jars of sauce , jams, bicuits, cakes, M&S Jaffa Cakes, and a small range of Christmas snacks and such stuff. As you say, not cheap.

But some familiar bits and pieces for those missing them.

On 06/12/2016 at 1:25 AM, Torrens54 said:

...and of course, TESCO along with the rest of them forgot about bringing in Frozen TURKEY Breasts from AUSTRALIA or NZ to compensate for the ban on Turkey Meat from the USA which presumably is still BANNED by the Thai Government.

Saw frozen turkeys in Tops here in Samui yesterday. Not sure of origin.

12 hours ago, phetphet said:

Saw frozen turkeys in Tops here in Samui yesterday. Not sure of origin.

Rimping Supermarkets here in CNX have been taking Advance Orders for Turkeys but at high prices.

Have NOT seen the FROZEN TURKEY BREASTS since last year and they say they don't expect any due to a Thai Government Ban on them out of the USA.

On December 3, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Ricardo said:

I just wish that their selection was a patch on what they offer in the UK, here in Chiang Mai, where we supposedly have 50,000 Brits living locally ?  Very very disappointing. :sad:

And why are their narrow-aisles always blocked with trolleys & gossiping shelf-stackers ?

I wonder if they'll ever set up some sort of customer-panel, to get feedback ?

When Tesco first opened in Thailand, the management team included a number of UK staff at the head office, and as such everything was well organised. Unfortunately they then started to replace those Brits with 

Local  staff and thereafter the standards has fallen. An example being the store at Ban Chang, Rayong. Very badly designed store, I believe a modified building from another trade. Plenty of space for packs of noodles and a few other items,yet no imagination in regarding to promoting alternative products.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/11/2016 at 10:02 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Very few Thai goods in UK stores. Care to back up your accusation with facts? Any?

On 24/11/2016 at 10:02 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Very few Thai goods in UK stores. Care to back up your accusation with facts? Any? From any source?

From any source?

I never made any accusations!!

I think someone else has already busted the "no Thai rice" myth.

Tesco was sourcing much of its chicken Fri. Thailand, although there was an exposé documentary on the slave conditions of the supplier that might have put an end to that. 

There are many other products from Thai suppliers in the Tesco world section of their UK stores. Although I know if no specific items, there stands a good chance that many items of clothing in the F&F range are made in Thailand. I have checked but the labels don't indicate the country of origin.