Sterling Account

i hope someone answers as i'm wondering the same thing.  mine is USD at BB on silom rd in bkk.  also, where will you be applying for your 'renewal', chaeng wattana ?

awhile back i read a thread here where someone had some trouble getting the 'renewal' as part of the money was in USD and part in THB.  at the time, i wasn't paying much attention (i wasn't 50 yet) and can't remember the outcome or where they had applied.

19 minutes ago, lelapin said:

I have a 20,000 pounds in my sterling account at Bangkok Bank. Can this account be used when applying for my retirement visa renewal.

Some immigration offices will accept foreign currency accounts to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement (it is not a visa).

It requires a letter form the bank stating your account balance in Baht on the date the letter is written.

• Like 1

i would like to get the bank letter the day before i go to chaeng wattana (CW).  then, update my bank book at the bangkok bank at CW.  so the date of the letter would not match the date of my visit to CW (day before) but the balance noted on the letter would match the balance on the bank book with the same date as my visit to CW.  (maybe i have to pay a 'fee' for this slight variance from policy).

i'm getting into these fine details as i want to get out of CW as fast as possible.  i've been many times and always prepared for a long stay but prefer to avoid if possible.  i realize 'fast' and CW don't really go together. 

there must be someone on TV that has been through this process (foreign currency account, bangkok bank silom rd, extension of stay at CW).  i hope they can provide some commentary.

3 hours ago, buick said:

i would like to get the bank letter the day before i go to chaeng wattana (CW).  then, update my bank book at the bangkok bank at CW.  so the date of the letter would not match the date of my visit to CW (day before) but the balance noted on the letter would match the balance on the bank book with the same date as my visit to CW.  (maybe i have to pay a 'fee' for this slight variance from policy).

i'm getting into these fine details as i want to get out of CW as fast as possible.  i've been many times and always prepared for a long stay but prefer to avoid if possible.  i realize 'fast' and CW don't really go together. 

there must be someone on TV that has been through this process (foreign currency account, bangkok bank silom rd, extension of stay at CW).  i hope they can provide some commentary.

What has your comment to do with the question I originally asked.

I have a "Foreign Currency" account in English Sterling with the SCB head office Bangkok and when it came showing  finance for my "Extension To Stay" Retirement Visa I had to have the funds in my Thai currency account "800,000 Baht" also with the SCB for three months before my Visa application; on the day of my Visa application I had to get a letter from the SCB stating the finance details and show my updated SCB Passbook.

This was confirmed by my wife who is a SCB Manager and deals with this daily ! 

OP - in post #2, i asked if you were doing your extension of stay at CW ?  some immigration offices (reportedly) accept foreign currency rather than thai baht.  in post #3, ubonjoe brings up the topic of the bank letter.  post #4 includes questions related to the letter/process of the extension of stay at CW and is directed not only at you (assuming you go to CW) but whoever might read the thread.  i'm sorry if you feel i hijacked your thread.  i asked these questions in my own thread and no one responded.  so i'm trying to gather the info via somewhat related posts (like yours).  it sounds like you have a foreign currency account (like me) and are getting an extension of stay (like me).  so we are going through the same process, etc...  not sure we need to limit the discussion to just the foreign currency topic, if we do, let me know and i'll create my own threads with single questions.  being a newbie here, i'm not sure what the best approach is.

11 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

I have a "Foreign Currency" account in English Sterling with the SCB head office Bangkok and when it came showing  finance for my "Extension To Stay" Retirement Visa I had to have the funds in my Thai currency account "800,000 Baht" also with the SCB for three months before my Visa application; on the day of my Visa application I had to get a letter from the SCB stating the finance details and show my updated SCB Passbook.

This was confirmed by my wife who is a SCB Manager and deals with this daily ! 

as ubonjoe stated, some immigration offices do not require the transfer into THB.  one of these offices may be CW.  can you confirm which immigration office you used ?  i see you have your account in bangkok but it appears you might live in chiang mai (and if true your wife probably lives there also and processes stuff for the CM office not CW in bkk).  thanks in advance for clarification. 

4 hours ago, buick said:

as ubonjoe stated, some immigration offices do not require the transfer into THB.  one of these offices may be CW.  can you confirm which immigration office you used ?  i see you have your account in bangkok but it appears you might live in chiang mai (and if true your wife probably lives there also and processes stuff for the CM office not CW in bkk).  thanks in advance for clarification. 

Our family home is in Chiangmai and we also have a condo in Bangkok because my wife works at the SCB Head Office, SCB Plaza Bangkok 

I process all my Visa / "Extension To Stay" Retirement Visa and Multi Entrance Etc. at the Thai Immigration Bureau, Chaeng Watthana Government Complex. I can process my documents in BKK as I can prove an address in BKK and Chiangmai 

If I was to submit my documents at the Immigration Bureau Chiangmai it can take as long as 21 days to process and you have to allow 21 days to process "JUST IN CASE"  

I hope this is as clear as mud ! 

13 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

If I was to submit my documents at the Immigration Bureau Chiangmai it can take as long as 21 days to process and you have to allow 21 days to process "JUST IN CASE"  

There no such requirement in Chiang Mai to apply for an extension of stay. They do it on the same day you apply.

I think you are confusing extension applications with one to convert to a non immigrant visa. 

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There no such requirement in Chiang Mai to apply for an extension of stay. They do it on the same day you apply.

I think you are confusing extension applications with one to convert to a non immigrant visa. 

Yes you are correct . . . I had to allow 21 days for my "Non Immigrant Visa" from a 60 day "Tourist Visa" at the Immigration Bureau Chiangmai . . . All my other Visa applications Etc. I've done in Thai Immigration Bureau, Chaeng Watthana Government Complex Bangkok; so much easier !

Thank you for the correction