any beaches near bangkok

sspacer

50 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Needles float?

The syringes do. However, the needles can and do break off and lie in the sand. People step on them and are injured. They also step on broken glass, discarded  metal andvarious other trash items.

15 minutes ago, Truscott said:

Koh Si Chang

Water quality  is questionable.
Because Thailand refuses to properly monitor  water quality and to publish the results,   visitors will never know when they are swimming in Somchai's turds, industrial effluent flushed from the factories or toxic waste dumped into the ocean in accordance with Thai custom to pollute and to blame it on non Thais.

12 hours ago, Truscott said:

Koh Si Chang

Prime example of why I sigh and often don't bother posting a good reply on here.

First hand knowledge is beaten down with nonsense by those who "must know everything".

Sad really.

Edited by smokie36

18 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The syringes do. However, the needles can and do break off and lie in the sand. People step on them and are injured. They also step on broken glass, discarded  metal andvarious other trash items.

Water quality  is questionable.
Because Thailand refuses to properly monitor  water quality and to publish the results,   visitors will never know when they are swimming in Somchai's turds, industrial effluent flushed from the factories or toxic waste dumped into the ocean in accordance with Thai custom to pollute and to blame it on non Thais.

Why would you make such a misleading comment, as you have obviously never been to Koh Si Chang.

For the last 10 years I have visited Koh Si Chang around 9 to 10 times per year and I have never seen a turd or any pollution in the water.

During my visits the water at the beaches is always crystal clear  and is comparable to how the beaches looked on Koh Larn back in the early 90s (before the Chinese and Japanese tourists had ruined it).

In fact the water quality is so good around Koh Si Chang that there is a marine biology research center there, which is used by Thai universities to research marine biology as well as training marine biologists from all parts of the world.

Do you think that they set up the center to study floating turds?

If you have any information on a better beach so close to Bangkok or in fact any clean beaches that you have actually been to and that fit with the OPs requirements, please feel free to advise the OP but please don't post BS answers just to try to look as if you have knowledge on the matter, it makes you look pathetic.

Edited by Truscott

56 minutes ago, Truscott said:

Why would you make such a misleading comment, as you have obviously never been to Koh Si Chang.

For the last 10 years I have visited Koh Si Chang around 9 to 10 times per year and I have never seen a turd or any pollution in the water.

During my visits the water at the beaches is always crystal clear  and is comparable to how the beaches looked on Koh Larn back in the early 90s (before the Chinese and Japanese tourists had ruined it).

In fact the water quality is so good around Koh Si Chang that there is a marine biology research center there, which is used by Thai universities to research marine biology as well as training marine biologists from all parts of the world.

Do you think that they set up the center to study floating turds?

If you have any information on a better beach so close to Bangkok or in fact any clean beaches that you have actually been to and that fit with the OPs requirements, please feel free to advise the OP but please don't post BS answers just to try to look as if you have knowledge on the matter, it makes you look pathetic.

I agree.  On my 5 trips to koh chang, i have always been astounded by the clarity of the water, especially on the half day boat trips where they visit 4 islands.  admittedly, I have not been there for 6 years. 

Nearest beach for snorkeling definitely islands around Pattaya. Around 1 - 1.5 hour drive and 20 minute by boat out to different islands. Although there is not much to see as its mostly half dead corals and common small fish, in rare cases you will see a turtle. Nothing to see in Hua Hin.

Edited by mike324

2 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

I agree.  On my 5 trips to koh chang, i have always been astounded by the clarity of the water, especially on the half day boat trips where they visit 4 islands.  admittedly, I have not been there for 6 years. 

It seems you are talking about Koh Chang in Trat province. Koh Si Chang is good for a day trip from Bangkok, but Koh Chang is too far, two days at least.

23 hours ago, Thainess said:

No it's not. The sea is cloudy and filled with raw sewage, condoms and discarded drug addict needles.

Jomtien beach is even worse. I tried snorkeling once, had to fight a pair of red men's shorts to get out of the water. I STILL feel soiled every time I think of that swim . . .

3 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

So unless you like hookers and fast food you will not find nice snorkeling in Pattaya

And that's Pattaya's main problem .... every time I go snorkelling, I'm forced to swim through hookers and fast food. It's amazing the things that get dumped in the ocean here.

Very nice beaches at Bang Saen, a few kilometers South from Chon Buri. Cleaner that Pattaya. I haven't been for many years so don't know if they have many beer bars now, but think not -- it's a family-type resort. Chon Buri is roughly 100 km from Bangkok, about an hour's drive.

19 hours ago, smokie36 said:

Prime example of why I sigh and often don't bother posting a good reply on here.

First hand knowledge is beaten down with nonsense by those who "must know everything".

Sad really.

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments as there are a few simpletons who have little to do other than to make facile, dullard like  comments on genuine enquiries and issues of concern . That said Thai Visa is still a great forum for info on virtually everything of importance ( except on the political front !) as well as information sharing and where to go for this ,that and the other. In these unsettled times hats off to the Thai Visa team and the moderators (who I dont always agree with) trying to make it work.

13 hours ago, tonray said:

The nearest real beach is the Cha-Am/Hua Hin area. Not sure about snorkeling in the Gulf but about 3 hours by car/van from BKK. I love to swim there.

At present , this is not a good strip to snorkel in, owing to an abundance of jelly fish. Try the western seaboard south of Krabi/ Satun.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jarse said:

At present , this is not a good strip to snorkel in, owing to an abundance of jelly fish. Try the western seaboard south of Krabi/ Satun.

If we are going that far I like Koh Kradan...at certain times you can swim with the turtles there....just lovely.

Edited by smokie36
Spelling as usual

16 hours ago, swissbie said:

It seems you are talking about Koh Chang in Trat province. Koh Si Chang is good for a day trip from Bangkok, but Koh Chang is too far, two days at least.

you are correct.  i was referring to Koh Chang.  I am not familiar with Koh Si Chang.

On 11/26/2016 at 8:18 AM, tonray said:

The nearest real beach is the Cha-Am/Hua Hin area. Not sure about snorkeling in the Gulf but about 3 hours by car/van from BKK. I love to swim there.

Bang Saen is a lot nearer, bus from Ekamai is about an hour forty.

On 11/25/2016 at 0:55 PM, Truscott said:

Koh Si Chang

It is a good suggestion but a bit tight on a day trip. Depending on starting point it would be around a couple of hours to Sri Ratcha and then about an hour over on the ferry. Just miss one ferry and it could be nearly an hour for the next one. Best bet would be to come down the night before.