Thailand Yacht Show organizers push to make Thailand Asia’s marine hub

webfact

Thailand Yacht Show organizers push to make Thailand Asia’s marine hub

Phuket Gazette 

pkt1.jpeg

A plethora of on-water toys will be on display at the Thailand Yacht Show at Ao Po Grand Marina December 15-18. Photo: Richard Dobson

PHUKET: -- Organizers of the second edition of the Thailand Yacht Show (TYS) to be held December 15-18 at Phuket’s Ao Po Grand Marina aim to inject millions of dollars into the country’s economy as they steam ahead to make Thailand Asia’s marine hub of choice for superyacht owners and marine leisure enthusiasts.

Held in partnership with the Thai government, TYS gives visitors the chance to try out a wide range of world-class yachts, boats and on-water toys with a lively social program.

Sponsored by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Tourism Authority of Thailand, in partnership with the Ministry of Transport and the Marine Department, December’s Thailand Yacht Show is set to welcome visitors from all over the region to view and try out a line-up of premier yachting, boating and luxury brands.

Following the success of the inaugural marine expo in February, many of the industry’s leading names are returning to Ao Po Grand Marina this December to show their support for Thailand’s new national boat show. 

Managing Director of the Thailand Yacht Show Andy Treadwell joined Minister of Tourism & Sports Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul and TAT Deputy Governor Noppadon Pakprot in Bangkok yesterday to announce the latest developments ahead of December’s show and to re-confirm their commitment to make Thailand the marine hub of Asia.

The potential economic impact for Thailand as a result of improved marine infrastructure is vast. It is proven that yachting tourists spend far more than any other tourism sector. On average, superyacht owners will spend between US$1 million and US$2 million (B35.45mn - B70.9mn) in the country in which the yacht is based for a season. 

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Thailand-Yacht-Show-organizers-push-make-Thailand/65904?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-11-25

1 hour ago, KimSamui said:

I am interested in this a s small boat owner.

When will piers for refueling and provisioning be available around Thailand?

I can count on one hand the number of places to do this without use of jerry cans or drums.

Are you saying you actually want to see some substantive action in the way of establishing a workable infrastructure ?   This is Thailand.  Grand gestures, sky blue ideas and big talk are more important than the actual execution of a plan. 

9 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

The marine business, along with the MMA & Muay Thai training business, are the only two sectors that I can think of that is making lots of money and is still growing.....

Marine I can imagine but does the Muay Thai training business really make any kind of interesting numbers? I'd expect it to be a tiny fraction of other industries.

8 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Marine I can imagine but does the Muay Thai training business really make any kind of interesting numbers? I'd expect it to be a tiny fraction of other industries.

Yes, of course it's smaller than the marine business, but, when Tiger Muay Thai arrived in Soi Ta-iad, Chalong, there really wasn't any other businesses there.

Now, on both sides of the Soi, which I estimate to be between one and two kilometres, are other training gyms, restaurants, juice bars, guesthouses and a dozen other kinds of business all to cater for the hordes of young people who are training. Go down that road day, or night and it's busy. There is a large overflow of benefit to other businesses in Chalong. Fattys restaurant jumps to mind.

Tiger is now a world-leader in MMA training and has had many "stars" from abroad who are professional fighters go to train there.

This business is so successful that Rawai (with mixed results) is trying to duplicate the phenomenon.

Yes, the marine industry is bigger, but, the fight scene is expanding a lot faster.

Edited by KarenBravo

Small industries naturally can expand faster than already big and established ones, it's not an indicator if they'll reach even close to the same size. How many people are training in Phuket and how much money are they bringing into Thailand?  Really curious what numbers we're talking. Anyways I'm all for Muay Thai training even though I'm not into MMA as I think that's really part of the culture and something that Phuket/Thailand are internationally known for - in a good way.

10 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Small industries naturally can expand faster than already big and established ones, it's not an indicator if they'll reach even close to the same size. How many people are training in Phuket and how much money are they bringing into Thailand?  Really curious what numbers we're talking. Anyways I'm all for Muay Thai training even though I'm not into MMA as I think that's really part of the culture and something that Phuket/Thailand are internationally known for - in a good way.

You're making this far too complicated.

I just claimed that two industries out of the many, are actually expanding and making money in these perceived tough times.

10 hours ago, eisfeld said:

You're making this far too complicated.

I just claimed that two industries out of the many, are actually expanding and making money in these perceived tough times.

On 25/11/2016 at 6:02 PM, KarenBravo said:

The marine business, along with the MMA & Muay Thai training business, are the only two sectors that I can think of that is making lots of money and is still growing.....

I hear the pharmacies and tattoo shops are doing well out of the Muay Thai guys and girls as well.  :whistling: