What can a person expect renting a house at 5,000 baht a month?

Scouse123

If you have 3 Farang interested why not up the price a little?

Surely the 5K price was for the empty house? Musta been a misunderstanding lol

Also make sure you have at least 1 full set of keys so you can replace lost ones.

Put a replacement key charge in the contract and charge for a "man" to go to town and get the replacement(s).

Same for any other replacement items costs, include the man who fixes it!

We have a 3 bed two story house in a gated Moobaan about 80K west of BKK which my wife rents out.

Price was 7k/month, now 8k and rented to Thais.

Renters often stop paying the rent the month or so before they intend to leave so have a clause in the contract about how much notice they (or you) should give.

This would be why posters suggest a deposit of 2 mths rent (to cover damage and unpaid electricity etc)

PLUS 2 months rent.

Best of luck

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I know roughly the area you mean.  I think it's a reasonable price, you might get a little more, but I would let it go for the price you have already assessed and can then be more fussy about vetting your potential tenants.

The area is between a rock and a hard place for people who might want social life in the city.  On the one hand it's not far if you get to know a decent tuk tuk driver, but if you're going out for a drink then your own transport is not really an option any more.  The police have smartened up and become more random in their locations and times for testing.  It can be quiet in town, and several people say it's because they can't risk driving in for a drink (this has nothing to do with safety, just whether they think they can get away with it or not).  If you (the tentant) have some local friends then a nearby mom&pop shop is proving quite popular these days.

If you land a tenant that doesn't drink, or that is gregarious enough to set up his little patch of home on the planet, then location may be of no concern to him, especially since it's not far from Big C/Hospital etc.

Edited by Shiver

I rent for 5000 baht in Isaan, nice three bedroom house, good kitchen, three bathrooms and aircon in main bedroom, great landlady. We supplied all furniture. We do minor repairs such as get aircon cleaned, septic tanks cleaned. I do the grout in the tiles in the bathrooms and kitchen, simply because I can and it improves the house and keeps everything clean and up to date. We do the cutting of trees and other necessary gardening. 

The house was initially cleaned by landlady but needed some major cleaning which I undertook, no problems as it was left poorly by previous farang.

It depends if you are going to be a good landlord or not in terms working with your tenants or not regarding giving them some space as our landlady has and trusting us.

many places for 5000 baht you get free water, air, and lots of space for a bed!!!

the walls might be invisible and it feels like you are living outside, but you are not!!!

try issan, 87.53 km from Laos.....ask for M......tell them you were sent by CIZ

you will get pool, aircon, bed, and live like a king!!!

but must pay 200 years in advance....

Greetings Viewers....

I just can't quite understand how you all seem to have such high budgets living in this cheap country!?? Most of you seem to be bringing your western style lifestyles over here.In Pattaya you can still find a nice condo for 5,000 baht a month ( and if you look hard enough some will come with a pool ) Chiang Mai and Northern parts of Thailand 5,000 baht is not a bargain for a house! It's the normal! 

C. S x

1 minute ago, canarysun said:

Greetings Viewers....

I just can't quite understand how you all seem to have such high budgets living in this cheap country!?? Most of you seem to be bringing your western style lifestyles over here.In Pattaya you can still find a nice condo for 5,000 baht a month ( and if you look hard enough some will come with a pool ) Chiang Mai and Northern parts of Thailand 5,000 baht is not a bargain for a house! It's the normal! 

C. S x

Exactly the same as I am saying like you .

Just now, canarysun said:

Greetings Viewers....

C. S x

Cause I got cash & a job. 

You can not find a 3 bed 2 bath detached house in pattaya for 5k. You might be able to find a 'room' for 5K. 

Show me multiple listings for a house for 5K anywhere. 

7 hours ago, georgemandm said:

You are paying the right amount for surin that price is nominal your rent .

and your power bill is nominal, my friend has a big home out side surin and pays more for power then you like about 10,000 a month but big home lots of water pumps has pool and big garden to water.

i said on here 2 months ago it was a lot of money for thailand power  compare to Australia and was run down for saying it was  expensive .

so now I not say much on Tv to many , not say what I want to say .

Hey George, don't be afraid to speak your piece man! Just as long as you don't get too too personal and start insulting people. ( even though it might be well deserved sometimes ) It ain't such a big deal getting "run down" for expressing your opinion, just as long as you don't go running your mouth saying things that can really get you in trouble, or put in jail. ( which would probably be also trouble ) After all, we still live in a free country. Yeh, well okay. That part might be bullchit, but you know what I mean. 

8 hours ago, georgemandm said:

and your power bill is nominal, my friend has a big home out side surin and pays more for power then you like about 10,000 a month but big home lots of water pumps has pool and big garden to water.

i said on here 2 months ago it was a lot of money for thailand power  compare to Australia and was run down for saying it was  expensive .

Nearly $A400 a month, which is a big power bill here. Your friend must run several air conditioners round the clock as well, though who am I to judge what some people are able to do and pay for.

10 hours ago, Strange said:

I have a 3 bedroom 2 bath indoor kitchen for 5k baht a month in Surin Province but I rent from an awesome English dude and have been for 2 years. No deposit, just the house, no furniture, and I do all the upkeep, repairs, and I've done a few upgrades to the place that he gets to keep free when I move out. We have an understanding thats mutually beneficial. 

3 Aircons, 12k BTU, 18K BTU, 18K BTU, Big Fridge, 60" LED TV, 4k watt hot water heater, ceiling fans, the whole deal. I just paid my electric bill yesterday - 5,460 Baht. 

I don't even try to go native its hot as balls. 

I don't know how hot your balls get but this is winter.I even put a t shirt on these days.How do you survive April/May.

9 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Tell your mate to go solar,no batteries.

8 hours ago, georgemandm said:

You can live here as long as you like but I put it from us $ to thai  bht and it works out to around 6700 could be a little more but not much more .

someone I know is paying it now .

i been going to that s??t hole surin for 7 years and if you are to pay more then 10,000 are month you need your head read.

And why is Surin a s...hole,are you an expert on dunnys.

11 hours ago, DUS said:

I´d love to ask how you can rack up such a bill but then this thread would just turn into yet another "but I pay much less/more than you do" tirade by tens of TV members. So I better shut up now....

;)

No need for a tirade; try running two a/c 24/7

9 minutes ago, smotherb said:

No need for a tirade; try running two a/c 24/7

Exactly. 

54 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

I don't know how hot your balls get but this is winter.I even put a t shirt on these days.How do you survive April/May.

My balls get pretty warn. I don't go native. I don't mind the heat, Im from a climate very similar to Thailand but we still use central air-conditioning. I do the same here as I can't stand humidity/warmth/heat inside the house. Furniture gets all sticky, mosquitos inside the house, nope I'm good. Been coolish at night/early morning but still hot in the daytime and I still got the air on 24.

I have plenty of BTU's for any month of the year. 

13 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

A house for 5,000 baht? My electricity bill is around that for a 1br condo in Bangkok. 

I would  expect a prison style housing. A bed, a roof and a fireplace in the middle of nowhere.

is  it  open plan with 36000 btu aircon and 500m2?

5000 b a month in sakon area every where..nice small estate near me...new 3 bedrooms house 5000 b.....smaller 2 bed room single storie..with gardens etc 4000b...all with air con...fiber optic true ....good friend of mine has a huge 6 bedroom 6 bathroom en suite.in a lovely location with a lovely lake outside the house....the owner carnt give it a way was empty for 3 years my friend pays 4000b a month..and fully furnished....

" I wish to rent to foreigners and have three interested in it. "

The standard Thai "mansion" (one room studio) is equipped with:

1 ) Queen size Thai Bed with ultra firm "foundation", which Thai people sleep on without a mattress top.

2) Wardrobe to put clothes inside.

3) Wifi

4) Water machine (5B/liter)

5) Washing machines (20, 40, 60 B depending on size)

6) Area with clothesline to hang up wet clothes

7) A/C, Cable, TV, Small refrigerator, Covered parking (optional)

No furniture is needed.  Thai people sit on the floor on bamboo mats and use low tables to eat off.

All this can be obtained for 3000B/month.

A house should cost more, naturally.

That's a good deal, probably.  Depending on who the neighbors are ?

5 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

That's a good deal, probably.  Depending on who the neighbors are ?

Id be more concerned with the neighbors in a Thai style apartment setting like you describe above rather than a detached house with a perimeter wall. 

Many and varied answers... mine would be that they should expect sweet FA... and get just that... four walls, a roof and door, not nessesarily one that locks

youd probably be better of spending a bit on extra furnishings and chasing 20k

but... location location location.

Rent depends upon where you reside. The farther you get from the farang ghettos the cheaper it is. A friend of mine has a furnished two-bedroom, two-bathroom, 3-level split with large kitchen and carport in the middle of a large city for B3,500/mo.  

23 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

A house for 5,000 baht? My electricity bill is around that for a 1br condo in Bangkok. 

I would  expect a prison style housing. A bed, a roof and a fireplace in the middle of nowhere.

Really? That is strange as I live in a detached 3 bedroom bungalow with a fairly large garden for 3,000 a month plus utilities. In a Bkk suburb too. You need to get out a bit more.

Rents are not determined by size or for a Lesser  degree by location. Rents are determined by what the Tennant is willing to pay. Also I'm afraid to say Wether your a local or a farang.  house in village near us (not ours another landlord) for rent thai price 4500bht pm Farang price 6000 bht pm It is what it is.