Micro pigs

Latis

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Out of curiosity, what's the point of keeping these micro pigs? Are they just "cute" pets with no use or is it because they're easier to get up on the grill when you're having a BBQ? 

• Like 2

for me I chose to keep 1 Mu-Ki Pra because it is native to here, doesn’t need antibiotics and shots. At least that is the plan. And I keep it to eat scraps and till soils.

Every year or two eat the pigs, plant in the pen for crops. Then start a new pen. Pigs consume and trample and break down so much green waste. Vigorous weeds you would otherwise need to burn after cutting can be thrown into pig pen to be eaten or tilled.

My pig also eats snails and grubs. two big pests on my property.

I just got mine 10 months ago and only money spent was on steel pipe and mesh 2000 baht. the rest of the pen built from trash.

I am thinking about crossing my Ki Pra with Mu Kret, but my Ki Pra is starting to warm up to me, so I think second generation will bond to me better.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2018 at 8:45 PM, surfdog said:

called Mu-Kret, very expensive and popular now as pets.

A slightly larger option is Mu-Ki Pra it is a wild pig bit mine is starting to accept me after 10 months but still very jumpy.

IMG_8927.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Do they grow to a large size as adults?  Where did you get yours from?

On 05/02/2018 at 6:27 AM, surfdog said:

where I picked up my

On 03/02/2018 at 9:15 PM, surfdog said:

for me I chose to keep 1 Mu-Ki Pra because it is native to here, doesn’t need antibiotics and shots. At least that is the plan. And I keep it to eat scraps and till soils.

Every year or two eat the pigs, plant in the pen for crops. Then start a new pen. Pigs consume and trample and break down so much green waste. Vigorous weeds you would otherwise need to burn after cutting can be thrown into pig pen to be eaten or tilled.

My pig also eats snails and grubs. two big pests on my property.

I just got mine 10 months ago and only money spent was on steel pipe and mesh 2000 baht. the rest of the pen built from trash.

I am thinking about crossing my Ki Pra with Mu Kret, but my Ki Pra is starting to warm up to me, so I think second generation will bond to me better.

u-KiPra for 300 baht, they also had big pink pigs they were raising. I don’t think I have enough kitchen scraps or built a strong enough pen for one of those.

Where can I get a couple of Mu-KiPra pigs. You're right, it's better to have native pigs

picked up mine out in trash jungle, where some squatters are living in some forest behind a cemetary which also is behind a landfill. Had to chase around 10 of them before finding a female.

I’ve seen on Kaidee and facebook for sale before, sometimes they are just called Mu-Pa, “jungle pig”.
หมูป่า
หมูขี้พร้า

Have someone fluent in Thai do a google search for หมูขี้พร้า you will find plenty of farms. There is usually a wait, since small timeframe between weaning and sale. I would expect the price to be much higher than 300. But since you know I paid 300, you can start to negotiate from that price.

Mine isn’t that big, but very fat! When you buy just ask to see the mother and father, you will see the size.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

no problem, glad I could help. Keep in mind the baby pigs can squeeze through the smal wire fence, so you need to rig up something the bottom for 2-3 months until large. Also they incredibly smart they will inspect the cage for a month or so to find any way to get out, flip over stuff to make chairs, bite the wire or string, etc. They are smarter than dogs when coming to escape. If they escape you need to corner them, they rarely bite but consider protection if older.

Start with 1 female, you can feed her kitchen scraps and grass, weeds, banana trees, Gratin Leaves, anything really. Chicken bones and fish heads once larger and teeth are strong.

Love my pig, and will start looking for a mate, I think I can handle 2 or more now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, surfdog said:

no problem, glad I could help. Keep in mind the baby pigs can squeeze through the smal wire fence, so you need to rig up something the bottom for 2-3 months until large. Also they incredibly smart they will inspect the cage for a month or so to find any way to get out, flip over stuff to make chairs, bite the wire or string, etc. They are smarter than dogs when coming to escape. If they escape you need to corner them, they rarely bite but consider protection if older.

Start with 1 female, you can feed her kitchen scraps and grass, weeds, banana trees, Gratin Leaves, anything really. Chicken bones and fish heads once larger and teeth are strong.

Love my pig, and will start looking for a mate, I think I can handle 2 or more now.

I think when it comes time to get another dog, I will be getting a pig instead :)

yeh do it, for me it was just a combination of things such as free concrete barriers donated from road renovatiom and so much wasted food on the property. Those two variables amd the price of the pig 300 baht, just couldnt say no.

Plus unlike a dog, if it becomes a problem just eat it!

• 7 months later...