Family suspect cover up in death of American expat in Hua Hin

rooster59

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes Mr. P this reinforces my thinking that nothing has or will change. It must be a lonely job to stand on top of the mountain and spout out all the goodness that is happening in the land. You should take a personal interest in this case to show your words cover one and all and not a selected few. If the police could just stop building up their personal hierarchy in a corrupt system and do some real policing we would sing their praises to the stars. The threats made to Mr. Johnson were inexcusable. 

Maybe the Brit who just left the country because he was sued by a Thai Food company; for labor abuse could take up the cause ?

8 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

The autopsy shows that he was beaten up. Unless he beat himself up, it's homicide. 

If the killer was a foreigner, the police wouldn't want to cover it up. 

You got me on the last one, maybe it was on old lady who did it. 

The autopsy does'nt show when he was beaten up or if it was directly related to his death.

Did you even read the thread?

Eye witnesses say he was beaten up several days before he died... How an earth could you conclude a homicide from this thread?

3 hours ago, gemguy said:

That is because the police are hardly trustworthy individuals and the fact that over the years hundreds of foreigners have died here in Thailand and they died by way of murder while very few of the cases are investigated and solved..

The police call them suicides more often than not and very seldom do they ever seriously investigate the crimes ..even when the perpetrators are known or the case is far from difficult to solve.....while the police try to ignore the evidence and ignore the concerns of the family or relatives or friends and loved ones.

Now, on the other hand ...if there is money involved and money to be made by the police ...then you can obtain a degree of interest on the part of the police.  

Cheers

And no doubt that this would be yet another case of a Foreigner being murdered in Thailand, had Pitty Sing not informed us of the facts .

The RTP s investigation standards may not be up to Western standards , but journalism is also a reason for peoples misunderstandings, shoddy reporting . Stories are not followed up and I get the impression that journaalist will turn up to a crime scene and ask the first policeman that he sees what happened and the policeman will just say what he thinks probably happened and this is reported as a fact .

We only get to see one media report of a death and theres usually just minimal information in those reports and so people try to work out what happened and come to the wrong conclusion .

Yes, there have been some suspicious deaths , usually on the islands, but to say there have been 100 s of felangs murdered is a gross exaggeration 

21 hours ago, Grubster said:

Well I can tell you that in the west they would have treated this with caution and would have not ruled out homicide until much evidence was gathered and an autopsy was consistent in all ways. That is the kind of thing that the US embassy should care about with their citizens. I believe there would have been a much different out come in the double brit murder case had their embassy bothered to see how things were going day one. 

So do you believe that zero investigation was the appropriate response to a death involving head trauma on a relatively young man. Why would they deny the showing of any photo's if no worries of wrong doing.

No, I don't think that 'zero investigation' would have been the way to go, and it wasn't.  Enquiries were made, an autopsy was performed and the investigation is not yet over.

20 hours ago, cracker1 said:

James was a friend of mine who I met in Pattaya about 10 years ago. Our paths crossed many times since and last was Samui 3 or 4 years ago.

He was a very good man and always so happy and "talkative". I am extremely saddened to learn today of his tragic passing.

RIP mate !

If you were such good mates perhaps you could explain then why he was so dreading going back to the university?

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

And no doubt that this would be yet another case of a Foreigner being murdered in Thailand, had Pitty Sing not informed us of the facts .

The RTP s investigation standards may not be up to Western standards , but journalism is also a reason for peoples misunderstandings, shoddy reporting . Stories are not followed up and I get the impression that journaalist will turn up to a crime scene and ask the first policeman that he sees what happened and the policeman will just say what he thinks probably happened and this is reported as a fact .

We only get to see one media report of a death and theres usually just minimal information in those reports and so people try to work out what happened and come to the wrong conclusion .

Yes, there have been some suspicious deaths , usually on the islands, but to say there have been 100 s of felangs murdered is a gross exaggeration 

If Pitty Sings post is an example of the 'media writing' as taught at WUT, then the Thai media and what passes for journalism here is still safely in a dark age. I am not saying that certain persons at WUT colluded with the local police but their haste to 'do the right thing' for one of their apparently more respected lecturers doesn't really do him or his family any favors at all.

9 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

If you were such good mates perhaps you could explain then why he was so dreading going back to the university?

From the reports, it sounds like he was depressed and liked a drink and had   "disapeared" before

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If Pitty Sings post is an example of the 'media writing' as taught at WUT, then the Thai media and what passes for journalism here is still safely in a dark age. I am not saying that certain persons at WUT colluded with the local police but their haste to 'do the right thing' for one of their apparently more respected lecturers doesn't really do him or his family any favors at all.

Pitty Sing didnt state his/her status , although it appeared he/she is involved with WUT in some capacity .

What are you suggesting the "right thing to do" is ?

Keep on investigating until the "real" cause of death was found ?

It very much appears to be a clean cut case and no suspicious circumstances .

10 hours ago, sanemax said:

The hotel workers stated that the abrasions were there two days before he died , which shows that his leg abrasions were nothing to do with his demise .

And? He could still be beaten up. 

1 hour ago, onthesoi said:

And... You claimed it was a homicide based on the fact he was beaten up.

Nobody is disputing he was beaten up several days before he died.

Please try to keep up with yourself!

I remember what I said. You simply don't agree with the connection between the beating and his death. 

Please try to keep up with me. 

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Pitty Sing didnt state his/her status , although it appeared he/she is involved with WUT in some capacity .

What are you suggesting the "right thing to do" is ?

Keep on investigating until the "real" cause of death was found ?

It very much appears to be a clean cut case and no suspicious circumstances .

Pitty Sing stated, "I am a worker at the uni..."

The bit about the acting Rector summonsing certain concerned staff and coercing them to sign 'cease and desist' statements regards the pictures. Not your usual school business now is it?

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Pitty Sing stated, "I am a worker at the uni..."

The bit about the acting Rector summonsing certain concerned staff and coercing them to sign 'cease and desist' statements regards the pictures. Not your usual school business now is it?

That was because they didnt want his photos being passed around amongst the pupils at the School , which is quite understandable .

The School also didnt want bad publicity about one of their teachers going AWOL and drinking fighting and dying

7 hours ago, bark said:

Maybe the Brit who just left the country because he was sued by a Thai Food company; for labor abuse could take up the cause ?

You should have put "investigating" in between the words "for" and "labor" - people might get the wrong idea! (The semi colon helps, but doesn't do the trick!)  

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Just like the Hua Hin police and TAT.

The teacher didnt work for the Police , so they wouldnt get any bad publicity .and it wouldnt effect TAT .

If you are still implying that he was actually murdered , you are not backing your opinion up with anything credible as deviance .

You ust think that he was, even though all the evidence points to that he wasnt , but you just think that he was and thats good enough "evidence" for you

47 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

47 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I don't agree with a certain poster on many aspects of this case, but I don't agree with cherry picking parts of the text that suit you, especially when it makes the point ambiguous :-

The School also didnt want bad publicity (about one of their teachers going AWOL and drinking fighting and dying)

And by the way, I see no evidence that the person concerned had been fighting - evidence that he had probably been beaten up - but apparently according to a certain poster these injuries were caused by him falling down after sustaining a heart attack, and was dead before he hit the ground - or was it because he'd been "drinking and fighting and dying"? I'm confused! 

3 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

I remember what I said. You simply don't agree with the connection between the beating and his death. 

Please try to keep up with me. 

I'll try to keep up with you....

You can help me get up to speed by providing a source for the bit in bold?  Then I will decide if I agree or not.

Otherwise I might get confused again and think you're just making things up.

31 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I don't agree with "a certain poster" about certain aspects of this case, but I don't agree with "cherry picking" parts of a statement to suit your argument, especially when it deliberately makes the statement sound too far reaching i.e.:-

"The School also didnt want bad publicity"  (about one of their teachers going AWOL and drinking fighting and dying)

As it stands now, I have ceased discussion with "a certain poster", but you might like to ask him to verify whether the teacher died as the result of a heart attack, and fell down, causing numerous injuries to his face and body, or was it because he'd "gone AWOL, and been drinking, fighting, and dying" I'm confused! 

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The teacher didnt work for the Police , so they wouldnt get any bad publicity .and it wouldnt effect TAT .

If you are still implying that he was actually murdered , you are not backing your opinion up with anything credible as deviance .

You ust think that he was, even though all the evidence points to that he wasnt , but you just think that he was and thats good enough "evidence" for you

I have not implied he was murdered. That is the remit of others. I consider for someone who was well loved and respected at his place of employment, his initial disappearance was kept very low-key, the subsequent discovery of his body even less commented and the actions of his employers and rush to cremation just a bit questionable.

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

I don't agree with a certain poster on many aspects of this case, but I don't agree with cherry picking parts of the text that suit you, especially when it makes the point ambiguous :-

The School also didnt want bad publicity (about one of their teachers going AWOL and drinking fighting and dying)

And by the way, I see no evidence that the person concerned had been fighting - evidence that he had probably been beaten up - but apparently according to a certain poster these injuries were caused by him falling down after sustaining a heart attack, and was dead before he hit the ground - or was it because he'd been drinking and fighting? I'm confused! 

Nothing ambiguous about the bits I cherry picked.

The school doesn't want bad publicity and if they had a staff member with a history of behaving in a way that could make them liable, I am pretty sure they would have let him go. But they didn't so that's their problem.

The Hua Hin police doesn't want bad publicity because like all Thai police they thoroughly investigate all incidents to the complete satisfaction of the law. Apparently they have reopened their investigation so that's their problem.

TAT doesn't want bad publicity because Hua Hin has taken a few licks recently so that's their problem.

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I have not implied he was murdered. That is the remit of others. I consider for someone who was well loved and respected at his place of employment, his initial disappearance was kept very low-key, the subsequent discovery of his body even less commented and the actions of his employers and rush to cremation just a bit questionable.

The school doesn't want bad publicity and if they had a staff member with a history of behaving in a way that could make them liable, I am pretty sure they would have let him go. But they didn't so that's their problem.

The Hua Hin police doesn't want bad publicity because like all Thai police they thoroughly investigate all incidents to the complete satisfaction of the law. Apparently they have reopened their investigation so that's their problem.

TAT doesn't want bad publicity because Hua Hin has taken a few licks recently so that's their problem.

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Then why did you "cherry pick" it? Your quote as it stands is a bit obvious, don't you think? i.e.

... The School also didnt want bad publicity...

Tell me when any school wants bad publicity? (about anything!)

Why didn't you quote line in full, as you have now given your reasons for the school not wanting bad publicity on this particular subject?

28 minutes ago, sambum said:

I

And by the way, I see no evidence that the person concerned had been fighting - evidence that he had probably been beaten up - but apparently according to a certain poster these injuries were caused by him falling down after sustaining a heart attack, and was dead before he hit the ground - or was it because he'd been "drinking and fighting and dying"? I'm confused! 

His black eyes and a cut to his head were most probably caused by him falling as he died . The scrathes to his legs were from a few days previously and they bare unexplained (Maybe a motorbike accident , dogs?)

Black eyes a cut to the head do not cause death

There is no evidence that he had either been fighting or that he had been beaten .

No on has claimed that he was either fighting or he had been beaten by anyone .

He had scratches on his legs from unknown,, he had a heart attack , fell over and hit his head

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

His disappearance was headline news, it wasnt "very low key" , his death was also headline news , not sure how you can claim that headline news is "very low key"

Bodies are usually cremated after three days , nothing rushed about his cremation either

30 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

I'll try to keep up with you....

You can help me get up to speed by providing a source for the bit in bold?  Then I will decide if I agree or not.

Otherwise I might get confused again and think you're just making things up.

This guy 555

28 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

No it wouldnt make them liable at all !!!!!!

Teachers are expected to be professional , respectable and reliable .

Having one of the schools teachers going AWOL and just not turning up for work one day without explanation is a bad reflection on the schools professionalism 

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No it wouldnt make them liable at all !!!!!!

Teachers are expected to be professional , respectable and reliable .

Having one of the schools teachers going AWOL and just not turning up for work one day without explanation is a bad reflection on the schools professionalism 

... or possibly an indictment of their poor selection and review processes.

Lord knows the Thai education pool is a pretty shallow one with a lack of oversight but that isn't unique to the education system. It's endemic in many, many aspects in LOS.

Archived