Suspected foot-and-mouth infection among cattle in Buri Ram

snoop1130

Suspected foot-and-mouth infection among cattle in Buri Ram

567_Sick.jpg

Cattle raisers in Buri Ram province have been told by the provincial livestock officials not to move the beasts of burden out of their original locations to prevent the spread of foot-and-mouth disease.

Buri Ram provincial livestock officials on Monday took random specimens of fluid from cattle in several parts of the province after it was discovered that more than 100 heads of cattle in Tambon Chumhed, Muang district, had fallen sick and several of them had died for suspected food-and-mouth disease.

The specimens will be sent to the central laboratory for foot-and-mouth disease in Nakhon Ratchasima province for tests, said veterinarian Mr Suriya Kakarawong on Monday.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/suspected-foot-and-mouth-infection-among-cattle-in-buri-ram/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-28

Buri Ram provincial livestock officials on Monday took random specimens of fluid from cattle in several parts of the province after it was discovered that more than 100 heads of cattle in Tambon Chumhed, Muang district, had fallen sick and several of them had died for suspected food-and-mouth disease.

It took more then 100 animals for these farmers to notice that something is wrong with their livestock?

He said raisers were told to immediately report to livestock officials if any of their animals fell sick.

So these officials tell the farmers to report any disease. What's if farmer Somchai gives a f*** about this advice or has no clue what this disease can do and how the first sign looks like?

Normally these officials must set a quarantine zone around this affected area to prevent any spreading.

Also, they must prohibit to pasture of these cattle on the fresh harvested rice paddy and prohibit to sell or transport these animals.

The second step must be to cull these animals before the virus can spread to other districts and get epidemic.

But what is applied in other countries may will not apply here.

I heard about this this morning, saw the news on Thaivisa and when I got back the vet was already here, vaccinating the cattle, ‎฿100.- / beast, 550 for five adults and two calves in our case. Apparently this new vaccination does away with the need for mass slaughter as was done in the UK in the past, of animals. The main problem I believe was the reduction in milk production which of course for most farmers here isn't a problem.

I must admit my heart missed a beat when I read the report initially.

Cow 1 (1)1.JPG

Cow 1 (2).JPG

8 hours ago, OttoPollmann said:

It took more then 100 animals for these farmers to notice that something is wrong with their livestock?

So these officials tell the farmers to report any disease. What's if farmer Somchai gives a f*** about this advice or has no clue what this disease can do and how the first sign looks like?

Normally these officials must set a quarantine zone around this affected area to prevent any spreading.

Also, they must prohibit to pasture of these cattle on the fresh harvested rice paddy and prohibit to sell or transport these animals.

The second step must be to cull these animals before the virus can spread to other districts and get epidemic.

FMD is a very contagious viral infection in animals. one cattle can infect dozens of other cattle and show symptoms at the same time. to find 100 cattle infected at a given moment is common. culling is not an easy decision to make. a cattle isn't cheap to say the least. who do you expect will shoulder the adverse economic impact on the farmers?

59 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

If I am not mistaken Hoof and Mouth disease is anthrax. Am I right ?

anthrax is caused by a bacteria, while FMD is caused by a virus. totally different microbes.

8 hours ago, OttoPollmann said:

Exactly! Welcome to Thailand!

On 11/29/2016 at 9:52 AM, realenglish1 said:

If I am not mistaken Hoof and Mouth disease is anthrax. Am I right ?

Actually on second thought Foot and Mouth disease is more common with Politicians that cattle

Edited by realenglish1

Foot and mouth disease is common in most of Asia. Vaccination helps, but as the virus changes it will come back each year. Kanamycin is an antibiotic and does not kill the virus, just preventing secondary infections. In Europe infected farms (and surrounding farms) are cleared out and farmers compensated. As compensation is not given (or only very low amounts)in developing countries, the farmers rather do not report the disease and most animals recover after few weeks. As the disease comes back each year the animals have some natural immunity and do not get very sick. Dairy farmers will normally vaccinate each year as the infection makes milking impossible. 

It is unusually for an animal to die of  F/M, young calves will die  but adult stock  normally  live ,in the uk they is a  compulsory  slaughter policy ,as treating  cattle  makes it unviable   ,especially with dairy cattle ,milk yield drops ,and does not return back to normal .

I am in central Lopburi  in a big dairy area ,at this time  we  have 2 outbreaks one with beef cattle  and the other  ,a more serious problem on a dairy farm ,with other dairy farms in the area ,this is the second outbreak this year around here ,the Thai way is to inject all the  cattle that have F/M  with  Pen and Strep  for up to a week ,and a analgesic /antiepileptic  .As  for using Kanamycin as has been said  is a waist of time , and has no effect, it is normally  used for treating mastitis , it has been for sale for at lest 10 years ,and ,by the way I can buy a bottle  for 160 baht ,your vet  was on a nice little earner ,talking a load of BS at the same time .

For the Thais it is just "another dieses ", and it is treated as so , what all the dairy farmers are bothered about ,is the loss of  income ,as they can not send the milk ,for processing  for up to 2 weeks .

Most farmers around here vaccinate against  F/M ,but most do not realize that  it is not  100% protective against F/M , not all animals become immune , and the way they do  the actual injection ,it will be a lot less than 100% , and it quite common for cows to react to the vaccine , and a few will abort  they calves .

Your local DLD office should have a supply of vaccine ,which is free.  

A husband and wife in Buri Ram go to a restaurant. The waiter approaches the table to take their order.
"I'll have your biggest, juiciest steak," says the husband.
"But sir, what about the mad cow?" asks the waiter.
"Oh," says the husband, "she'll order for herself."

Sorry,...............an old and silly one. Could not resist.

Well its a few days since I reported on our vet's visit. Posting number 9).

The guys here take this quite calmly and do as they always have done. Apparently they don't know about vaccinations. The injection of Kanamycin, which is a bactericide I since found out, and thus ineffective against foot and mouth, seems to have been done to prevent infection of the lesions on the feet which were visible yesterday but have now cleared up after: application of butterfly pea hair serum! applied to the mouth, followed by applications of gentian violet as can be seen in the fotos.

We had great difficulties in finding the Gentian violet, the first three shops were sold out.

The cattle we have seemed to be feeling ok, eating and drinking as normal, skin became moist and that has cleared up also.

What was also done was to keep the beasts outside overnight, I suppose in order to prevent contamination, I notice that the son in law has had a major clean up in the shed.

Sorry about the quality of the fotos, this (soon to be calving) cow expects me to give him sugar cane and scratch his head when he sees me.The son in law says that there will be enough milk for the calf.

Anyway I am hoping for the best and when this is over will investigate vaccination possibilities and treatments, though the Thai way seems to have worked.

F & M.JPG

photo 2(5).JPG