School director removed for wearing red

webfact

7 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

I am fully aware and as stated I don't have any black clothes, so won't wear them. And yes, I believe a one year mourning period for any one man to be outrageous. I believe people not wearing black, and subsequently loose their job because of it, to be unacceptable and unjust.

I don't look down on anyone, but do disagree with this practice. Fine you want to mourn a monarch for a year, be my guest, just don't force it on others, including this teacher.

In that light, I think there are quite a few cultural correct people that feel entitled to look down on anyone that does not agree...

I don't think that group looked down on the director. Just that her act shows she is not suited to be the leader of that group.

A leader cannot lead a group whose path differs from hers...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am interacting with local officialdom or just the locals I wear black as a mark of respect pure and simple, if I am going to one of the two bars I frequent I will wear white or dark colours with a ribbon, I have the highest respect and regard for the late king, so this doesn't cause me any problem at all.

Also, if you turn up at immigration correctly attired you are likely to have a smooth time of it rather than wearing inappropriate clothing like a Chang singlet or football shirt.

I don't understand how people can get so upset about showing some respect for who was probably the best monarch (apart from HM the Queen Elizabeth 2) ever seen.

I did not wear black for one single day, when my mom died 2 years agp, because I don't like to be in the face of other people, with my private feelings!

Do you think, I did not love nor respect my own mother? The best mother, the world has ever seen?

I wore black for 30 days, because it was expected of me!

When will enough ever be enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Love, honour, respect etc are issues but so is hypocrisy and there's a lot of that around concerning the whole mourning issue but forum rules and the LM law prevents me from giving examples.

To a lesser but none the less serious level we have, as an earlier poster, pointed out the Minister of Tourism endorsing vigilante action by mobs.

1 minute ago, baboon said:

Disrespectful or not, there is nothing illegal about it (yet) and nobody has the right not to be offended.

I remember being lambasted by a shopkeeper for wearing a red shirt ages ago. Tough sh!t, pal and anyway, as I pointed out to him it wasn't a 'red shirt', it was a shirt that was red. Didn't stop him taking my money either...

Not illegal. So she hasn't been charged with anything. Upsetting the community you are about to serve in a senior capacity,  and you get transferred as the community requests.

Embassies were advising against wearing red and yellow shirts at one point as it may inflame people. But that has nowt to do with the request to show respect and wear appropriate clothing at the moment,

7 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Not illegal. So she hasn't been charged with anything. Upsetting the community you are about to serve in a senior capacity,  and you get transferred as the community requests.

Embassies were advising against wearing red and yellow shirts at one point as it may inflame people. But that has nowt to do with the request to show respect and wear appropriate clothing at the moment,

If sanctions within or outside the law are imposed with the blessing of the authorities, 'request' clearly doesn't come into it.

Edited by baboon

Just now, Baerboxer said:

Did you see the discussions when Corbyn refused to sing the national anthem in Britain; or when the football player refused to stand for the national anthem in the US? Well this would be a million times worse for a great many Thais.

The nation is in mourning and the cultural traditions and acceptance 

I truly agree with you and fully understand the ways of mourning in Thailand. Just that I personally think that it really have nothing to do with the clothes, but that´s a big thing here. I was the first one to wear black clothes the day after, but for me that is not somthing that I have to continue with. However as I also said it is a major mistake and failure of the school director.

49 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Well I guess it would be very hard to find someone over 40 years old that doesn't know why he was the man in black wouldn't it? But you can remind us if it makes you feel smart.

No, don't need to feel smart, was just pointing out he would still be wearing black. 

As for why, I'll let the man speak for himself...

Edited by Bluespunk

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

No, don't need to fee; smart, was just pointing out he would still be wearing black

OK probably true, but he was a bit of an outlaw, and didn't take kindly to being told what to do. Many of his songs will live on for a long time. I sure will miss Merle Haggard too.

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

It is in respect of the King. Remember what country you're living in. As a public servant she would certainly be seen as being disrespectful. As a farang Thais probably think you know no better. 

If you did your reserch you would know that yes she wore RED, and there was also another woman wearing BLUE and another wearing YELLOW, all wearing black ribons which is acceptable...BUT the other 2 ldies are not being told to get out are they???  WHY???

The lady in the RED is targeted due to her coming from Issan and many people down that way have a dislike for people from the North...

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Did you see the discussions when Corbyn refused to sing the national anthem in Britain; or when the football player refused to stand for the national anthem in the US? Well this would be a million times worse for a great many Thais.

The nation is in mourning and the cultural traditions and acceptance 

You are entitled to your opinion. But that doesn't make it any more "common sense" or right than other opinions.

Thailand, the Thai people have their views. This lady either new the likely consequences or didn't care, or thought she was above it; or was somewhat lacking in intelligence. 

Foreigners have been requested to wear dark colors, or white is an option. If you chose to wear normal clothes then that is your choice. But you're not employed as a civil servant, in a position where those you serve have certain expectations, which in this instance haven't been met.

While I agree with some of your comments there are some that I disagree with and think your just wrong about.

eg; The lady wearing RED, "this is a million times worse"   and   This ladydidn't care or thought she was above it,   

There was also a lady wearing YELLOW and another wearing BLUE, but why was the lady in RED singled out?  

A little more reserch and you would know why. 

35 minutes ago, aussieinthailand said:

While I agree with some of your comments there are some that I disagree with and think your just wrong about.

eg; The lady wearing RED, "this is a million times worse"   and   This ladydidn't care or thought she was above it,   

There was also a lady wearing YELLOW and another wearing BLUE, but why was the lady in RED singled out?  

This isn't about a certain family and their constant desire for limelight and media exposure.

It is about a senior civil servant offending people in a community in which she was going to hold a senior and respected post. Whatever bright color she might have worn. Nothing else. That community protested and their wishes have been acted upon.

1 hour ago, aussieinthailand said:

Please show the links to what you've found.

According to Thai news, the lady wore the dress because her fortune teller said it was necessary for her success.  

There was no ill intent.  She'll just be moved somewhere else.  And all will be forgotten.

Many Thais take fortune telling a lot more serious than the western interpretations about color/colour, in this thread.

7 minutes ago, rijb said:

According to Thai news, the lady wore the dress because her fortune teller said it was necessary for her success.  

There was no ill intent.  She'll just be moved somewhere else.  And all will be forgotten.

Many Thais take fortune telling a lot more serious than the western interpretations about color/colour, in this thread.

Thailand is a color coded society.  Wearing colors like yellow, red or black are done for a reason, mostly.  I never saw a red shirt wear yellow to one of their rallies.  Or vice a versa. Black on Mondays was to respect the former Bangkok mayor, etc.

I've been in several government buildings recently for visa issues.  A majority are wearing black.  Haven't seen red one time.

Just now, craigt3365 said:

Thailand is a color coded society.  Wearing colors like yellow, red or black are done for a reason, mostly.  I never saw a red shirt wear yellow to one of their rallies.  Or vice a versa. Black on Mondays was to respect the former Bangkok mayor, etc.

I've been in several government buildings recently for visa issues.  A majority are wearing black.  Haven't seen red one time.

I agree about the colors.  But, I think the fortune teller won this one.  She paid a lot money for that advice.

1 hour ago, rijb said:

I would expect a director would have some brains to satisfy both the circumstances and her fortune teller - red undies...

6 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

Oh dear, the brainwashed superstitious peasant mindset. It's what you feel in your heart that matters, not the shirt that you wear on your back. Really, a society that totally discourages individualism.

Look at my avatar...

15 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

It doesn't help when the Minister of Justice publicly supports this sort of thing and says there should be more such actions.

A lady I know is a teacher in a rural government primary school and was of course told to wear black for a year which didn't go down well and like many others I'm sure is hoping that after a few months the order will be relaxed. However she did point out that even if the PM was to say it was ok not to wear black such things are often down to ' local ' interpretation and application.

In addition she and her colleagues were ' advised ' to remember their positions as teachers who should be setting an example so when not at school it was not to be open season on clothing and they must be careful how they dress. The school director avoided answering if this also meant for a year !

well if we had some proper standards in west our schoold wou;ld not be full of thugs i 100% support proper observation and respect for tradition 

I wanted to spread some light on this topic to some people.  I know this woman.  She is kind and caring person who truly cared about the kids.  She was a teacher at my Peace Corps school, which is a boarding school for poor children.  These school mostly have students from the province and boarding provinces.  She worked as a computer teacher, taught the handicap kids at the school, and worked in the budget room.  She came in early and left late.  She took care of 45 girls at her dorm and 11 were handicap.  She just got her masters in education administration.  She is from Northeast and she got moved to the south.  She wasn't the only person wearing colors besides black.  One director wore a bright blue and a teacher wore yellow.  She had a black ribbon on and she change very quickly after this picture.  She isn't political person and never protested or stuff like that but she has been branded a red shirt because she is from Northeast.  These people have bashed her and the school she taught at because of a dress.  This was a party and not a actual day at school.  The school she was moved to is also a boarding school so most of the children are not directly from the village in the area but from all over areas of the south.  The villagers had a problem because of politics which she is out of her control.  The best thing is at least she won't have to put up with those people anymore.  They lost a chance to have a good and not corrupted person working with their kids.

5 hours ago, aussieinthailand said:

If you did your reserch you would know that yes she wore RED, and there was also another woman wearing BLUE and another wearing YELLOW, all wearing black ribons which is acceptable...BUT the other 2 ldies are not being told to get out are they???  WHY???

The lady in the RED is targeted due to her coming from Issan and many people down that way have a dislike for people from the North...

Issan ... North East

9 hours ago, TeachinginThailand said:

I wanted to spread some light on this topic to some people.  I know this woman.  She is kind and caring person who truly cared about the kids.  She was a teacher at my Peace Corps school, which is a boarding school for poor children.  These school mostly have students from the province and boarding provinces.  She worked as a computer teacher, taught the handicap kids at the school, and worked in the budget room.  She came in early and left late.  She took care of 45 girls at her dorm and 11 were handicap.  She just got her masters in education administration.  She is from Northeast and she got moved to the south.  She wasn't the only person wearing colors besides black.  One director wore a bright blue and a teacher wore yellow.  She had a black ribbon on and she change very quickly after this picture.  She isn't political person and never protested or stuff like that but she has been branded a red shirt because she is from Northeast.  These people have bashed her and the school she taught at because of a dress.  This was a party and not a actual day at school.  The school she was moved to is also a boarding school so most of the children are not directly from the village in the area but from all over areas of the south.  The villagers had a problem because of politics which she is out of her control.  The best thing is at least she won't have to put up with those people anymore.  They lost a chance to have a good and not corrupted person working with their kids.

Good to see that some others here will also do a little reserch before critisizing. cheers.