Thai Red Cross Society unveils new pill to prevent HIV transmission

webfact

BANGKOK, 29 November 2016 (NNT) - The Thai Red Cross Society is campaigning to reduce HIV transmission among homosexual couples on the occasion of World AIDS Day. 

The Thai Red Cross AIDS Research Centre will hold a press conference on December 1st to unveil its campaign to reduce the rate of HIV and AIDS transmission among homosexual couples by administering pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) to those at high risk of HIV transmission to reduce the chances of infection. 

Dr Nittaya Panupak of the center’s prevention department said PrEP is a viable preventative measure for those who do not always use condoms, with clinical tests showing the medication can reduce the rate of transmission by up to 92 percent if taken daily.

However, those taking the pill are still advised to use condoms, as PrEP does not protect against other sexually transmitted diseases. Those interested can contact the AIDS Research Centre’s Anonymous Clinic.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-11-29

"The Thai Red Cross Society is campaigning to reduce HIV transmission among homosexual couples..."

So,  either it only works on the "homosexual strain" of HIV, or Thais are still in denial that "good and respectable"  heterosexuals can't contract HIV. Many a married couple had to find out the hard way that their mates weren't what the claimed be....Either with sexual orientation or fidelity. 

Still living in the Dark Ages.

Edited by jaltsc

11 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

"The Thai Red Cross Society is campaigning to reduce HIV transmission among homosexual couples..."

So,  either it only works on the "homosexual strain" of HIV, or Thais are still in denial that "good and respectable"  heterosexuals can't contract HIV. Many a married couple had to find out the hard way that their mates weren't what the claimed be....Either with sexual orientation or fidelity. 

'... many folks across the whole globe regardless of their sexual orientation and/or their status and/or their level of wealth are still in denial that "good and respectable"  heterosexuals or homosexuals can't contract...'

2 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

So,  either it only works on the homosexual strain of HIV, or Thais are still in denial that the "good and respectable"  heterosexuals can't contract HIV. 

In 2015, 440,000 people were living with HIV in Thailand.

More than 40% of those people are homosexual men/transgender. = 176,000 homosexuals with HIV out of an estimated 3.4 million homosexual men.

That leaves 60% for heterosexual men,women and lesbians living with HIV  = 264,000 heterosexuals with HIV out of estimated 64.6 million others.

That leaves us with 1 out of every 19th homosexual Thai men compared to 1 out of every 244th of the rest of the people are living with AIDS.

So are they still living in the Dark Ages?! I would not think so as its 13 times more likely that a homosexual man than a heterosexual man has HIV according to the statistics! And again its the same with prostitutes where it's estimated that 3% of the female prostitutes are HIV positive while 12% (4 times higher rate) of the male and transgender prostitutes are HIV positive!

1 hour ago, jaltsc said:

It makes sense to target the higher risk group. Gay and bisexual men are at higher risk because they are more severely affected by HIV than any other group. .

I'm quite amazed. The conspiracy theories surround HIV/AIDS carry some weight after reading this. It's long been accused that the red cross was responsible for the AIDS virus being spread throughout Africa to cull the population. Yes AIDS has been often accused of being man made.

It's also often accused that a cure already exists. Make more money on keeping the people sick over a life time feeding them pills than a one time cure. No money in cures.
Now they can stop it spreading???
They can do everything it seems but kill it. Hmmm.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, sebastion said:

I'm quite amazed. The conspiracy theories surround HIV/AIDS carry some weight after reading this. It's long been accused that the red cross was responsible for the AIDS virus being spread throughout Africa to cull the population. Yes AIDS has been often accused of being man made.

It's also often accused that a cure already exists. Make more money on keeping the people sick over a life time feeding them pills than a one time cure. No money in cures.
Now they can stop it spreading???
They can do everything it seems but kill it. Hmmm.

The conspiracy theories are, like all conspiracy theories, utter BS.

12 hours ago, jaltsc said:

When I had a HIV test (in Oz) my doctor informed me that there are 3 groups of people with the disease:

Those engaging in intravenous injection of drugs, needle sharing being the prime concern

Those engaging in anal intercourse

The female partners of the above

The stated view of the AMC is that if you do not fall into one or more of the above groups, you are highly unlikely to contract the disease.

For those who remember, the AMC objected to the Oz govt bowling lane ad, and had it stopped as false advertising.

The conspiracy theories are, like all conspiracy theories, utter BS.

I have worked in the gay community for years helping sufferers of HIV/AIDS.
If you spoke to those ones affected they would tell you the same thing. They mostly believe a cure exists but there is no money in curing.
I know some expats in Thailand who moved here to access the cheap drugs compared to the west. It's basically a subscription. Every month they pay the bill and get their supply of life saving drugs. Nearly 9k baht.
Now we have a drug that can stop the transmission. Amazing.
Then add the fact that they can suppress the disease with antiretroviral medicine and you can lead a normal life without complication yet it can't be cured?
I find this more suspicious. Think about it.

The medication is called Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate. The pill is blue. The cost is 655 for a 30 day supply.

Required testing for HIV and Liver function before receiving the medication is 870.

The Red Cross Anonymous Clinic Information: http://en.trcarc.org/?page_id=632

The Thai Red Cross AIDS Research Centre
Address: 104 Ratchadamri Road, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

The service is professional, non-judgemental and available to all.

More information on the drug and side-effects: https://www.drugs.com/search.php?

https://www.drugs.com/search.php?searchterm=Tenofovir+Disoproxil+Fumarate

Edited by dorayme
Add Internet URL for the drug

4 hours ago, halloween said:

When I had a HIV test (in Oz) my doctor informed me that there are 3 groups of people with the disease:

Those engaging in intravenous injection of drugs, needle sharing being the prime concern

Those engaging in anal intercourse

The female partners of the above

The stated view of the AMC is that if you do not fall into one or more of the above groups, you are highly unlikely to contract the disease.

For those who remember, the AMC objected to the Oz govt bowling lane ad, and had it stopped as false advertising.

You need contact with your blood to get the disease. If you have no open sores on your genitals you will not be caught. This is why homosexuals are more likely to get the disease as they break their skin more often in pursuit of the act.

I recall reading about the figures in Victoria, in Australia, years ago. About 180 reported cases of the disease. Nearly all homosexual some needle use, a couple of cases not sorted, and maybe one heterosexual case. The disease is basically not a heterosexual problem., I guess if both partners are heterosexual.

42 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

You need contact with your blood to get the disease. If you have no open sores on your genitals you will not be caught. This is why homosexuals are more likely to get the disease as they break their skin more often in pursuit of the act.

I recall reading about the figures in Victoria, in Australia, years ago. About 180 reported cases of the disease. Nearly all homosexual some needle use, a couple of cases not sorted, and maybe one heterosexual case. The disease is basically not a heterosexual problem., I guess if both partners are heterosexual.

You've got it wrong. HIV is easily transmitted to heterosexual females via intercourse. Bisexual men are the main vehicle for transmission to the heterosexual community.

Anecdotal evidence only, I know 3 men whose wives have died from AIDS - none are infected.

2 hours ago, sebastion said:

I have worked in the gay community for years helping sufferers of HIV/AIDS.
If you spoke to those ones affected they would tell you the same thing. They mostly believe a cure exists but there is no money in curing.
I know some expats in Thailand who moved here to access the cheap drugs compared to the west. It's basically a subscription. Every month they pay the bill and get their supply of life saving drugs. Nearly 9k baht.
Now we have a drug that can stop the transmission. Amazing.
Then add the fact that they can suppress the disease with antiretroviral medicine and you can lead a normal life without complication yet it can't be cured?
I find this more suspicious. Think about it.

I have and the conspiracy theories are BS. 

Esprcially the one where you state the Red Cross spread HIV to cull the population in Africa. 

Good grief. 

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

HIV is a problem for everyone regardless if gender and sexual orientation. 

True, some groups within society are more at risk, but to say it is not a heterosexual problem is absolute nonsense. 

As as for your claim that you need open sores on your genitals to contact HIV...anyone believing that and basing their sexual behaviour on that idea is heading for trouble.

Edited by Bluespunk

I have and the conspiracy theories are BS. 

Esprcially the one where you state the Red Cross spread HIV to cull the population in Africa. 

Good grief. 

I don't believe the theories. I just hear them from many sources so I try to keep an open mind.
I've heard compelling evidence from doctors themselves. What other life threatening disease on the planet can we control like HIV?
You can live a normal and full life without illness if you stick to the pills and now they have a so claimed way to stop the spread.
Sounds like a perfect disease for those in the pharmaceutical game. That's the point I'm trying to make. We all know what big pharmaceutical is capable of.

7 minutes ago, sebastion said:

I don't believe the theories. I just hear them from many sources so I try to keep an open mind.
I've heard compelling evidence from doctors themselves. What other life threatening disease on the planet can we control like HIV?
You can live a normal and full life without illness if you stick to the pills and now they have a so claimed way to stop the spread.
Sounds like a perfect disease for those in the pharmaceutical game. That's the point I'm trying to make. We all know what big pharmaceutical is capable of.

By repeating and trying to give credence to garbage conspiracy theories you are helping spread vile misinformation and lies.

By repeating and trying to give credence to garbage conspiracy theories you are helping spread vile misinformation and lies.

How can you judge what is true? You don't suffer from it so your view really means nothing.
Do you have friends that are HIV?

1 minute ago, sebastion said:

How can you judge what is true? You don't suffer from it so your view really means nothing.

Your claim about the Red Cross is one the most disgusting things I have read in years.

As for bringing my friends into this, none of your business.

2 hours ago, sebastion said:

Ummm... It is called science. You might look into it. I don't need HIV+ friends to think logically and apply science.

Since there is clear evidence of the presence of HIV as far back as the 1940's, it is simply not possible that the virus was genetically engineered by man. The technology simply did not exist. There goes that theory, and all it's cousins.

As for why this virus seems unique with regards to treatment - that is due to the unique nature of the virus itself. It attacks the immune system. You know, the system that protects us against viruses.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Just to be clear, Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate comes in two branded drugs marketed by Teva Pharms Usa and Gilead Sciences Inc. Available in powder and tablet forms. Gilead holds the patent No. 6,043,230 as assignee.

Thanks to the Thai Red Cross Society to raise Thai public awareness of this critical drug.

4 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

homosexual or female.  in anal or vaginal intercourse the receiver is the one at greater risk because of the higher susceptibility to tearing or abrasion.

i would have thought this was common knowledge.

any one with an open wound or abrasion is highly susceptible irrespective of gender or orienatation.

The Thai Red Cross are extremely cost effective and efficient when it comes to having 'the tests' done, way cheaper than any clinics, and turnaround inside an hour.

But, if they invented an oral prophylactic, I'd have thought it would be world breaking news. 

Or is it another click bait headline? 

That's why you can bet I haven't bothered to read the article.

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Is Thailand now the new hub for curing AIDS or is this really aspirin that you put between your knees 

Elgordo, shame on you! As a follower of all things local, you should know that Thailand is the new hub for, er, Hubs.