Police threaten to charge ‘Farang BaanNok’ for posting rant, so he apologizes

webfact

17 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

It's already accepted he lied and ' egged the pudding ' but some TV members advocating deportation for something as silly as this?

Come off it!

I have already agreed to the over the top deport him coments. But I have just read he actually gets paid for this you tube blog thing he has and apparently the more people look the more he gets so I read. In which case the little lie he made comes more into focus and I can't help wondering if he should not be fined a lot more or even asked or made to donate the extra money he made from this lie to a charity of some sort. food for thought

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I have seen lorries and busses pulled over at police road blocks. ones I've followed down to block spewing out smoke problem is when they get down to low speeds on approach to block it's a normal noise sound and the smoking exhaust has ceased. They must call each other on phones and let people know where the blocks are? I have seen police on bikes hide in tree line on road and as lorries ect pass there on there radio to tell the block. 

Ive seen these tandem trucks running in convoy through Issan with lookouts. 

If I've seen it, then the police have to know about it. 

There are scams and corruption in this country that I'm sure 99% of us don't even know about & frankly probably couldn't even comprehend. Myself included. 

1 hour ago, claffey said:

Hold on a minute! The police have explained their implementation of the law and the guy apologised. It's clear that he was in the wrong in this case. Looks like you have a chip on your shoulder. Jai yen yen krap!!

Jai yen yen when ur on the receiving end of a 1000 baht hoe slap eh? 

Ok maybe he had a swapped exhaust, but how the shit do the police know what 95 decibels sounds like? Is it the training they received in the art of being a human sound lever meter? 

Paying your ticket is hardly an admission of guilt when the only other option is going to jail. 

18 hours ago, jabis said:

" The motorcycle in question had a special exhaust pipe..." was that special exhaust pipe from a factory checklist when purchasing the motocy, or an aftermarket one, there lies the question still.

All depends on what motorcycle he was riding, my Ducati Monster has the option of a race Terminogi exhaust with removable baffles that also makes it clear that it isn't street legal yet it's a Ducati option.

18 minutes ago, Strange said:

Ok maybe he had a swapped exhaust, but how the shit do the police know what 95 decibels sounds like? Is it the training they received in the art of being a human sound lever meter?

Sound level meter or not, if the scooters running up and down the road hurt my ears from 50 meters away, I can tell they're exceeding the limit.

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

And farang never lie or bend the truth oe exaggerate to suit there needs as in this case do they!

Im scratching my head here trying to figure out your motivations for supporting the RTP. 

The point is their clear selective enforcement of the law and double standards regarding what a Thai would pay and what a Foreigner would pay. 

If the law states that they can fine a person up to 1000 baht for an infraction (hypothetically) and they dish out 100 & 200 baht fines, let a lot pass un-fined, then stop Farang and hit them with the full price, thats BS, and then if you complain about it, your threaten publicly under the computer crimes act. 

Is it legal? Yeah I guess. 

Is it Right? No its not. 

Is there intimidation involved? Clearly. 

Now all that said, I would have just paid, right or wrong, just to get out of there and I wouldnt have posted a video about it. Especially in todays climate regarding foreigners in Thailand. 

18 hours ago, jabis said:

" The motorcycle in question had a special exhaust pipe..." was that special exhaust pipe from a factory checklist when purchasing the motocy, or an aftermarket one, there lies the question still.

I am sooooo happy that he got done for having one of those antisocial noisy exhausts on his bike. Now if they will just go after all the Thai people with them..........................................

19 minutes ago, impulse said:

Sound level meter or not, if the scooters running up and down the road hurt my ears from 50 meters away, I can tell they're exceeding the limit.

Agreed but was dude riding a souped up wave/cub at wide open throttle? It wasn't until after the fact that the police had to actually go to a motor cycle shop and see if the pipe was swapped, and a swapped pipe isn't illegal I don't think, and if it is, maybe the RTP should be hanging out in just about every local market where they sell wave parts by the boatload. 

95 decibels is pretty freakin loud as well, but I'm sure if you took an SLM and stuck it right by the exhaust outlet of a bran spanking new wave & and pinned the throttle, you'd get well over 95Db. 

Its all subjective. We can all agree that the thais love some scooter noise, but was Farang doing that?

1 minute ago, Strange said:

Agreed but was dude riding a souped up wave/cub at wide open throttle? It wasn't until after the fact that the police had to actually go to a motor cycle shop and see if the pipe was swapped, and a swapped pipe isn't illegal I don't think, and if it is, maybe the RTP should be hanging out in just about every local market where they sell wave parts by the boatload. 

95 decibels is pretty freakin loud as well, but I'm sure if you took an SLM and stuck it right by the exhaust outlet of a bran spanking new wave & and pinned the throttle, you'd get well over 95Db. 

Its all subjective. We can all agree that the thais love some scooter noise, but was Farang doing that? 

Whenever you specify a maximum dB level, you have to specify the distance from the source where you're measuring it.  It's also common to specify a weighting that looks more at the frequencies that human ears are sensitive to.   I suspect very few people tuned in here know what that distance or weighting is under Thai law.  I certainly don't.  Anyone???

I think most of us agree there's a lot of back pedaling and Monday morning quarterbacking going on in this case- from several sides.  "Saving face" in the local vernacular and "staying out of the hoosgaw" in the guy's vocabulary. 

If the guy wanted to get some more YouTube clicks ($$$), he may buy or borrow an SLM and post up his results.  But that's probably not a good idea...

18 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Reading the article it was found to be non standard which he says himself as well.

Quote "

Following the report, Farang BaanNok released an apology video.

"I feel bad and I'd like to apologize to the police,” he said in his latest video.

“If you’re thinking about enhancing your exhaust pipe, don't do it. It disturbs other people."

No balls!

Exhausts save lives. (+Hp too).

Exhausts dont kill (if it aint a boosted diesel and is tuned)..

Why the desperate need to make elec cars audible?......

"TIS" labelled stuff is useless. Poorest quality.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Whenever you specify a maximum dB level, you have to specify the distance from the source where you're measuring it.  It's also common to specify a weighting that looks more at the frequencies that human ears are sensitive to.   I suspect very few people tuned in here know what that distance or weighting is under Thai law.  I certainly don't.  Anyone???

I think most of us agree there's a lot of back pedaling and Monday morning quarterbacking going on in this case- from several sides.  "Saving face" in the local vernacular and "staying out of the hoosgaw" in the guy's vocabulary. 

If the guy wanted to get some more YouTube clicks ($$$), he may buy or borrow an SLM and post up his results.  But that's probably not a good idea...

I agree but it appears that the guy is nice enough, certainly learned the language better than just about 99% of other foreigners, has a license, wears a helmet, etc... 

Everyone wants to compare it to Somchai and his wave with the throttle pinned like an idiot annoying the hell out of everyone because 'cool' and I don't think its like that in this case. 

It appears his bike is the one behind his left shoulder as he keeps pointing at it. Dont look all that outrageous to me, and clearly the cops on the scene had not a single clue if it was modified nor if it was over 95 Db, but they certainly stuck it to him and did the research later. Hell, the Farang guy might not have even known himself if it was 'modified'. 

I just don't agree with this stuff and the fact that the RTP came out publicly with the threat of the Computer Crimes Act is a joke, and plays to the generally accepted mindset of the Police - "You better not say anything bad, or you will be arrested"

He should have just paid, kept his mouth shut, had a beer and complained with friends, but geez.... 

Left shoulder. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 10.58.20 AM.png

42 minutes ago, Strange said:

I just don't agree with this stuff and the fact that the RTP came out publicly with the threat of the Computer Crimes Act is a joke, and plays to the generally accepted mindset of the Police - "You better not say anything bad, or you will be arrested"

Thai law and its enforcement is like a game of Top Trumps with LM (which we can't talk about) being the ultimate card. The CPA is a close second as FarangBaanNok just discovered.

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I have already agreed to the over the top deport him coments. But I have just read he actually gets paid for this you tube blog thing he has and apparently the more people look the more he gets so I read. In which case the little lie he made comes more into focus and I can't help wondering if he should not be fined a lot more or even asked or made to donate the extra money he made from this lie to a charity of some sort. food for thought

Didn't know that bit...............deport the wassock!!............:cheesy:

Double and triple the fine for being a smart <deleted> speaking Isaarn Thai, then castrate him, feed his balls to the nearest Soi dogs, then make him go be a monk for at least a week!

After that, he can do probation and community service by removing all illegal exhausts from motorbikes starting with his own and hand over all You tube money making hits for the Khonkaen police New years party!!

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Thai law and its enforcement is like a game of Top Trumps with LM (which we can't talk about) being the ultimate card. The CPA is a close second as FarangBaanNok just discovered.

Truth. 

Im sure he knows more than a lot of us about the inner workings of the Thai mind and what goes on, being he can speak better than probably 99% of Foreigners. He should have known better for sure but he is right. 

Just infuriates me to think of the smug satisfaction the RTP felt knowing they targeted him, screwed him, got away with it, AND MADE HIM PUBLICLY APOLOGIZE. 

3 hours ago, Strange said:

Im scratching my head here trying to figure out your motivations for supporting the RTP. 

The point is their clear selective enforcement of the law and double standards regarding what a Thai would pay and what a Foreigner would pay. 

If the law states that they can fine a person up to 1000 baht for an infraction (hypothetically) and they dish out 100 & 200 baht fines, let a lot pass un-fined, then stop Farang and hit them with the full price, thats BS, and then if you complain about it, your threaten publicly under the computer crimes act. 

Is it legal? Yeah I guess. 

Is it Right? No its not. 

Is there intimidation involved? Clearly. 

Now all that said, I would have just paid, right or wrong, just to get out of there and I wouldnt have posted a video about it. Especially in todays climate regarding foreigners in Thailand. 

No need to scratch your head never once said I agree with the police, I stated the guy is a liar and deserves everything he got and possibly a bit more.

Archived