Pattaya - Hua Hin ferry could be a dead duck even before it starts as local authority warns of damaged pier

Jonathan Fairfield

Pattaya - Hua Hin ferry could be a dead duck even before it starts as local authority warns of damaged pier

mgr.png

Image: Manager

Local authorities in Pattaya think that the much hyped plans for a boat service to Hua Hin could be a dead duck even before the first service starts.

It is all because of the state of the jetty in South Pattaya. 

The jetty in Laem Bali Hai is severely damaged after being used by 10,000 people a day and is an accident waiting to happen, it has been claimed.

Despite a budget for repairs the Pattaya authorities are suggesting that this is not the time to start the service and are calling for further inspections to be carried out before even the chance of permission to operate is considered.

The much hyped service hailed as a boon for tourism between the two Gulf of Thailand resorts was due to start as early as January 1st.

This now looks unlikely due to the state of the pier. 

Manager reported that despite the harbor authority being gung-ho about the service there are serious reservations from other Pattaya officials who would need to give their permission for the service to get off the ground.

Some have said that the pier could be dangerous.

Others have claimed that the service is overpriced and many claim that it would not be a safe option or as quick as the operators claim especially when embarking and disembarking are added into the equation.

Originally thought to be for vehicles as well as people some think that the service is being rushed and that a passenger only boat will not be economically viable anyway.

Source: Manager

RELATED: Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry: Proposed prices, journey times unveiled, free trial period announced

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-29

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

As far as I am concerned it was a dead duck long before it was a dead duck. Then reading how much they were charging it became a dead Elephant. I will just continue to drive thank you.

It can cut down on the travel time but I just want a nice smooth and safe crossing.  4k baht return for me and wife is fine by me. 

Edited by GuiseppeD

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

Time to berth the ferry next to the aircraft carrier.  Normally you would have suitable infrastructure before building the ferry.  You don't buy the pigs before you build the pen.

What is the state of the cruise terminal in?

I just came back from Halifax (Canada) and during my time there they had regularly between 1 to 3 cruise ships of mid sized (largest 18th ranked in the world).   I am surprised there is not as much of a push out here for that sort of business.... lots of people with cash to spend.  Surprised they could not just share the same set of piers, and if they are in such poor repair -- what does that bode for the future of cruise ship dockings (noticed there are at least one company docking ships there).

12 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Despite a budget for repairs the Pattaya authorities are suggesting that this is not the time to start the service and are calling for further inspections to be carried out before even the chance of permission to operate is considered.

Let us form more committees, and have further inspection parties as there is still a shedload of cash to bleed from this project..........and my Mercedes is two years old now.........and there is a nice new condo for sale.......and.....and......and....

12 hours ago, GuiseppeD said:

I wanted to hold hands with my friend on the inaugural crossing from Pattaya to Hua Hin.  Just such a disappointment.

And I wasn't expecting a pink speedboat.  That's just so gay.

You don't need an event to have an excuse to hold hands...just enjoy.

And the pink boat...that's the new Miami Rice....cue music.

So, the pier cannot be declared safe, for the few Hua Hin Pattaya ferry passengers. Meanwhile, there are "up to 10,000 people a day" (still) using the pier to travel to Koh Larn island.  Confused !

That's a dodgy service getting off on the koh larn side especially in bad weather

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Thank goodness! Phew! Pattaya linked to Hua Hin, low-so meets high-so, no, no, no-so. Behave.

To call people from Hua Hin "low-so" is not very fair - I am sure Pattaya people would welcome them

12 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

...  Then reading how much they were charging it became a dead Elephant.   I will just continue to drive thank you.

And the vast majority of people (especially tourists) who don't own cars?   Throw them to the mercy of the kamikaze mini-vans?  Or 8 hours on a scooter around the horn, barred from many roads that could shave hours off the miserable trip?

Just because a project doesn't meet my needs or my budget, doesn't mean it's not needed by thousands of others.  

In this case, if I lived in HH or Patts, I'd go for it, and leave the driving to the captain.  And I don't even drink.  Another consideration for many who would gladly pay to be able to sip on a frosty cold one or 5 during those long hours instead of being sober behind the wheel or crammed into a careening mini-van with no booze allowed.

Edited by impulse

42 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

.....and......and......Not everyone has received a bung from the operators to give permission yet.......

Exactly, you beat me to it. I was about to say exactly

rhe same thing, that all this means is that the operators of the ferry haven't given the correct amount of money as a bribe to the right people yet so they have made an excuse to put a hold on it until they do. Typical behavior and outcome really and nothing more than expected.

Why is everybody including the authorities all of a sudden so protective of the operators? If they think 1200 baht is a fair price it is their risk. I personally rather pay 1200 baht for a ferry than spend hours in a deadly bus. I was really looking forward to the ferry. We should be glad somebody is taking the initiative, if you stil prefer the bus it is your decision. 

8 minutes ago, Boatfreak said:

Why is everybody including the authorities all of a sudden so protective of the operators? If they think 1200 baht is a fair price it is their risk. I personally rather pay 1200 baht for a ferry than spend hours in a deadly bus. I was really looking forward to the ferry. We should be glad somebody is taking the initiative, if you stil prefer the bus it is your decision. 

you cannot take a chance with peoples lives. if the pier is not safe then the whole exercise is a danger to everybody.