The Last Book You Read

I have just done reading the Alex Ferguson autobiography. Being and Aberdeen and Man U supporter I may be a little bias - but I thought it was a great book and thoroughly enjoyed it .

It highlights the changes in British football from the 1950s to the present day. AF talks about his time as a player - who never really got the breaks that he deserved. He talks about his time at Aberdeen, Scotland and Man U highlighting the highs and lows and also talking about the problems faced in those positions.

At times he does get into rants where I feel he is trying to not lose face - the Paul Ince saga is one of those times.

In a time when 20 year olds are releasing autobiographies it is good to see one from someone that has actually done something in his football career.

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just done reading the Alex Ferguson autobiography. Being and Aberdeen and Man U supporter I may be a little bias - but I thought it was a great book and thoroughly enjoyed it .

It highlights the changes in British football from the 1950s to the present day. AF talks about his time as a player - who never really got the breaks that he deserved. He talks about his time at Aberdeen, Scotland and Man U highlighting the highs and lows and also talking about the problems faced in those positions.

At times he does get into rants where I feel he is trying to not lose face - the Paul Ince saga is one of those times.

In a time when 20 year olds are releasing autobiographies it is good to see one from someone that has actually done something in his football career.

On a football theme, the Roy Keane book is excellent, lots of insights to what went on.

Just finished a book called The Last Executioner, about the guy who was the last man who executed people in Thai jails by pulling the trigger, prior to the Govt bringing in lethal injections.

Very interesting autobiography, written by a very humble and interesting man

On a football theme, the Roy Keane book is excellent, lots of insights to what went on.

Just finished a book called The Last Executioner, about the guy who was the last man who executed people in Thai jails by pulling the trigger, prior to the Govt bringing in lethal injections.

Very interesting autobiography, written by a very humble and interesting man

I thought the Roy Keane auto was very badly written .. seemed rushed to me with a lot of repetition .. although interesting I agree ... the Sir Stanley Matthews auto was a much better written book in my opinion .. :o

I have not read the Alex Ferguson autobiography yet but I have read the biography (of Ferguson) by Michael Crick (the investigative journalist); it is a good read.

The problem with autobiographies, is that they are rarely honest, and also omit a lot of important facts. The exception might be Frank Skinner's autobiography which is hilarious.

I can't wait to get my hands on the brand new biography of Conrad and Lady Black by Tom Bower, especially before his trial begins next year.

Edited by libya 115

Absolute Friends by J. Le Carre.

Written in 2004, the man has become more than he already was. His fictional plots are so real. His opinions on the state of the world seep through.

Very powerful book.

Absolute Friends by J. Le Carre.

Written in 2004, the man has become more than he already was. His fictional plots are so real. His opinions on the state of the world seep through.

Very powerful book.

yeah...I agree, a good read. I'm presently rereading The Looking Glass War first published in 1965...not as refined but a good gripping read anyway.

I recently finished The Little Friend by Donna Tartt...for those of you who enjoyed The Secret History don't bother...a disappointment...(IMHO)

As a PS to my original post - I had a quick scan of the David Beckham autobiography - what a load of <deleted>!

I particularly enjoyed the part when he thought Posh would be a verbal match for Fergie :o

how can one justify an autobiography when one is less than 40 years old?...an absurdity...

Nyah, every celebrity and his dog wants to write (or have ghost written) a book about themselves these days.

Ranks right up there with papparazzi magazines like Hello! and that <deleted>, in my books (ptp)

Sad part is, it sells.

I just finished Daughter of Fortune, Isabelle Allende. It was so good and I feel at a bit of a loss now its ended. Anyway, it would be good to hear any suggestions of good reads as I have to send my list off to Santa soon and definately will be asking for books this crimbo.

I finished reading: Influence: The psychology of persuasion by R. B. Cialdini the other day. It's a really good book for if you are interested in this subject. I learned from this book how easy it is for us to be conned without our even knowing it.

Edited by Grover

As a PS to my original post - I had a quick scan of the David Beckham autobiography - what a load of <deleted>!

I particularly enjoyed the part when he thought Posh would be a verbal match for Fergie :o

how can one justify an autobiography when one is less than 40 years old?...an absurdity...

That's one of the reasons that I just browsed through it in the shop - it is highly indexed, so it was easy to read about the trainer in the face incident.

I think the only book that could be worse is Wayne Rooney's :D

That's one of the reasons that I just browsed through it in the shop - it is highly indexed, so it was easy to read about the trainer in the face incident.

Can he write .....?

Can he write .....?

I'm surprised that he was even articulate enough to explain situations to the ghost writer.

60 pages into ‘The God Delusion’ by Richard Dawkins. Having read almost everything else by Dawkins I have been looking forward to this for some time. I had a friend send it to me from the UK. As always with Dawkins it is a very satisfying and thought provoking read. Well up to his normal standard.

After ordering a copy in Bookazine, over two months ago, they finally called me to say they had it in. They’ll just have to keep it now. Why it took so long I don’t know.

• 9 months later...

Fiction.

I am a James Patterson's fan and had finished The 6th Target. :o It's BIG DISAPPOINTED. Lots of talking but no peak up point where you can't just put it down and keep on reading. Lately his work and style have changed a lot. I don't know why and how it happens! Plot is sooooo boring. He needs to come up with something new before he's losing this fan forever.