Banning Baby Bikers: Kids told not to drive motorcycles

webfact

2 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

I told my ex that the son has to wear a helmet when she takes him to the school.

She answered there is no police where I ride.

End of conversation.

I don't believe that you left it at that... right?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know it's asking too much expect a result just by telling them, but how about license and  helmet fines as well, and if they're a minor then give the parents a give that will soon get them interested in their kids well being.

I know the police have a bad rep here, but at the same time how can the street cops possibly enforce the law unless their bosses get with the programme and do their public duty. Send their teams out with instructions for 200 for helmet, 200 for licence, 1000 for <15years old might not be a bad place to start and see how it goes.  They can take the bike for collateral to ensure compliance.

5 hours ago, dhream said:

In one area of a northern city, the police regularly have a roadblock.

They nab decrepit pick up trucks, and helmetless riders, usually wave everyone else through. 

At least those guys seem to be doing their job.

True. But  sadly selectively  confined  to the  limitations  of social acceptance  rather than the  practical  purpose of regulations..If an ultimatim of the strict  application  of laws ( in this  instance road users) were to  be  made Thailand  would probably  grind to a halt.

Ridiculous as it is many  police would  be victims themselves if enforced autonomously. Maybe the   most  effective  remedy  ?   lol

Im guessing the health centers airconditioned and the funds im assuming that have been thrown at this circus act have been blown on an other extravagent lunch. Surely the bib cant miss a free lunch?

This is a joke right? Parents should be whipped. Common sense is never taught here. Parents are responsible.

What about a fancy gay campaign to bring awarness of police unable to force laws because they dont care about there own people plain and simple?. Shame, shame, shame......

7 hours ago, seajae said:

strange they dont mention having a license to ride as well. The problem is most parents dont give a stuff, the fact their kids are doing it illegally simply doesnt come into it as long as they are left alone or dont have to ride themselves. Way past time that the parents were held responsible/fined for any under age unlicensed riders and that the bikes they are riding are seized and destroyed, I am sure once the financial side comes into it they will all quickly take a much bigger interest in what their kids are doing and put a stop to it, money is the only thing that motivates them. 

They don't give a stuff because the police don't give a stuff. Simple. It is totally impossible to discipline a Thai and everyone accepts that and so nothing is done to change anything.

Precious! 

Guess the kids that are from Thailand don’t face being pulled over.

Prove you have a license if you drive a motor scooter. It's the LAW 

Today I had a 1000 baht ticket (reduced to 500 baht once I showed cash) when stopped on the Super Highway in Chiang Mai.

Get ready farang it’s high season!

And don't forget those random visits and proof of residenceadue the TM 30.

11 hours ago, eddie61 said:

That means parents taking responsibility for their kids..... the Thai gene pool missed that sequence

Hmmm.....I don't think there is any word in the thai language that means responsibility or care

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They don't give a stuff because the police don't give a stuff. Simple. It is totally impossible to discipline a Thai and everyone accepts that and so nothing is done to change anything.

You are right about instilling discipline but on the other hand it'a amazing that in respect of some issues they can be totally brainwashed..

2 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

My parents refused to buy me a scooter.

Said they didn't want to see me die just yet. ?

My parents gave me all the protective stuff that went along with my first bike. Here youd be safer with an icecream bucket on your head but thats not cool when going to buy smokes for your lazy parents with all the other neighbours kids hanging off the back.

More and more youngsters under 15 die of road accidents involving motorbikes

3011002.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A total of 943 youngsters less than 15 years of age died or motorcycle-related road accidents last year and, of these, 378 of them are motorcycle riders in 10-14 age group, according to the Centre for the Promotion of Safety and Prevention of Injuries among Children.

Speaking at the launch of the “Children don’t drive: Before 15” programme at the faculty of medicines of Ramathibodi hospital, Dr Adisak Plitpolkarnpim, the centre’s director, said that road accidents concerning with motorcycles rank the No 1 cause of fatality among youngsters in 10-15 age group due to reckless driving, riding without crash helmets, drunk driving or being too young to drive.

From statistics of fatalities from road accidents involving youngsters less than 15 years of age during 2000-2015, it was discovered that road accident deaths among 10-14 age group have the tendency to increase by up to 28 percent.

Regarding young motorcycle riders, Dr Adisak said opinion survey of 2,822 Pathom 6 students in nine provinces with average age of 12 showed that 58 percent of them – most of them male – were capable of riding a motorbike with the youngest rider aged only seven. Most of them learned how to ride from their parents and 64 percent of them started learning how to ride at ages 10-11.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/more-and-more-youngsters-under-15-die-of-road-accidents-involving-motorbikes/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-01

C'mon. The picture is very old, the bike is just a 2-stroke 50cc neighbourhood-scooter. In thailand it is called "Rot Pab", and it doesn't need a licence plate. I wouldn't consider that as toooo dangerous, as along as you only drive slowely in small sois or alleys. BUT it is something else with a liquid-cooled (and engine-tuned) 125cc bike that can reach easily 110kph. Driving that bullet on a highway or on a frontage-road is really suicidal....

If they do not die by 15, they will soon after and before that continue to contribute to the problem for their peers.  The story told to?  that is the problem, to solve it you got to accept the problem and more important practice what you preach which is the major problem with all their rules.

15 hours ago, gregk0543 said:

This story is being lost in translation to all of you. You are biased by your cultural background.

But what is going on here is teaching kids that no one needs to follow rules.

By the time they are 15 the lesson will be well and truly learnt.

They make an announcement and then in 7 days all is forgotten.

Then next year they make the same announcement.

You see the pattern...... Do you understand how it goes here.

Notwithstanding the fact that the story (I read) is in English, perhaps you might be good enough to translate it for all us biased people.

16 hours ago, seajae said:

strange they dont mention having a license to ride as well. The problem is most parents dont give a stuff, the fact their kids are doing it illegally simply doesnt come into it as long as they are left alone or dont have to ride themselves. Way past time that the parents were held responsible/fined for any under age unlicensed riders and that the bikes they are riding are seized and destroyed, I am sure once the financial side comes into it they will all quickly take a much bigger interest in what their kids are doing and put a stop to it, money is the only thing that motivates them. 

My daughter learnt to ride a motor bike at age 10. My son at 15 and is the only one, in our extended family, who has a license because of the frequented police checks. About my wife and me, the cops could'nt care less as we are very old people but still riding a motor bike. Never had a license in the 40 jrs I live here. 555, any comments?

It's a long time since I got my kid (then 15) a motorcycle license but at that time he was allowed up to 90cc only. Had to wait till he was 18 for a larger bike.

Anybody know the current (legal) situation?

Could start with the schools. They are supposed to be educators after all. 555. Don't let anyone onto school grounds with a motorbike unless licensed and helmeted.  Or as a real surprise, start with a can't leave unless.......the same rules

21 minutes ago, bandito said:

My daughter learnt to ride a motor bike at age 10. My son at 15 and is the only one, in our extended family, who has a license because of the frequented police checks. About my wife and me, the cops could'nt care less as we are very old people but still riding a motor bike. Never had a license in the 40 jrs I live here. 555, any comments?

The police don't care less because they know you will probably upgrade to a big bike soon - motorized wheelchair...

Edited by trogers

You are my hero!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect