What has happened to the high season?

cyberfarang

58 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Long long time ago Spotlight was the place to go for a boys night out. Now it`s become like a dark cave deep in the abyss of the city. Nowadays it`s not my idea of fun and apparently the Spotlight is suppose to be the creme de la creme of Chiang Mai nightly entertainment, that really says just how much the rest of it sucks, what`s left, is overpriced and not good value for money. But obviously, bars are not the be all and end all for entertainments, but even the choice of real western style restaurants are limited and besides that there is hardly anything. It`s no wonder tourists are giving Chiang Mai a miss.

It's not like there are any viable alternatives to Loi Kroh for "nightlife", other than eating, unless it's being kept a very hidden secret place.

It's like they don't want anyone to have fun at night.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, elektrified said:

That certainly would make more sense. I read the other comment earlier and had very serious doubts of the veracity of the comment. Should do well in Lamphun. But Lampang....no!

The powers that be have obviously decided that Lamphun is going to be the next big thing. Big C is expanding and a multiplex is being built. Another mall is in the offing down by the railway, if I remember correctly.

Perhaps Dukes will fit in with the new improved Lamphun. Time will tell.

If someone had the initiative, a rail/ light rail or tram connection between Lamphun and C M would be a good idea. There is loads of space around Lamphun to build houses, but the roads between the two are far too inadequate for the existing traffic, let alone more.

6 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

I had trouble booking a place recently for some visiting customers..   And they stay at big hotels too, the Meridien, Anantara, etc. 

And just walking around town you see lots and lots of tourists... anyone remember what it was like 5 or so years ago?

It's always the same with the good 5 stars, they're usually all fully booked at holiday time. But they're not a good measure of the mass tourist trade, especially the Chinese mass tourist trade, a better measure might be Dungtawan and Empress who I suspect are struggling a little..

Never ceases to amaze me how a thread on high season or tourist numbers can get so popular with most posts fitting into the same 3 or 4 categories yet we are on 6 pages already. I read the first page and have no need to read the others which I am sure will largely be much of the same.

Dare I say it, has this short lived thread served its purpose and be closed? :wink:

13 hours ago, sanemax said:

I do not know about percentages, but most over 60's like to be in bed by midnight

Under 50's tend to like to stay up a bit later and under 30's tend to stay up until the morning ,   Zoe and Spicy used to get going about 1 AM - 5 AM and Lucky used to get going about 3 AM- 9 AM .

I've seen hoards of young felangs at 1 AM between Spicy and Zoe looking for a place to drink and dance and they all go home disappointed

I would suggest that most tourists over 60 after  temple visting ,elephant camps,shopping malls and all the tacky "attractions ' are well knackered and hit the sheets well before midnight.

Your clasification of age groups and their habits is pure specualtion.I'll get back to my theory that its a very small percentage that want to be out scouring places to party after midnight.Add up all the "early morning" drinking venues and you have a very small number of people compared with the 1,000's of others tucked up in bed. 

11 hours ago, pgthompson said:

Anyway, WTK,  Trying to include the quote that you replied to regarding property prices never go down.

Property prices DO go down but because of the mentality of the Thais, they will leave property empty for many years rather than discount them. 

How many empty properties are there for sale in CM at stupid prices and empty for many years, I've spent the last 6 months looking for a house and no one would budge on price. It was cheaper for me to have a house built.

Nor should they discount;  Chiang Mai is a wealthy town, and especially the families who own property downtown really aren't desperate for a bit of cash.   So they price things not really for today's value, but for the value they'd pass on to their kids in 20 years.   If someone wants a place bad enough to pay the speculative value 10-20 years down then great;  but if not then they'll just sit on it for that period of time, or forever if need be and pass it on to their kids.   It makes a lot of sense.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Back in the 90s loads of people wanted to drink till dawn and after. I was there then.

Right now in the 2010's loads of people want to drink till dawn and after.   And they do.    (You just got older and perhaps lack the desire to seek out those places.   In the 1990s' there was... the Bar Beer Center at Thapae I suppose, and that was pretty dark in the early hours too.  (Usually with at least one or two bars still doing good trade.)

8 hours ago, chiang mai said:

It's always the same with the good 5 stars, they're usually all fully booked at holiday time. But they're not a good measure of the mass tourist trade, especially the Chinese mass tourist trade, a better measure might be Dungtawan and Empress who I suspect are struggling a little..

Dungtawan always has loads of Chinese ( ? tour groups ) when I pass by.

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I would suggest that most tourists over 60 after  temple visting ,elephant camps,shopping malls and all the tacky "attractions ' are well knackered and hit the sheets well before midnight.

Your clasification of age groups and their habits is pure specualtion.I'll get back to my theory that its a very small percentage that want to be out scouring places to party after midnight.Add up all the "early morning" drinking venues and you have a very small number of people compared with the 1,000's of others tucked up in bed. 

The numbers are irrelevant.

It's a tourist town.

It used to provide for young people that wanted to party.

Now it doesn't.

Now they are complaining that there aren't enough tourists.

Self inflicted injury.

3 hours ago, stament said:

Never ceases to amaze me how a thread on high season or tourist numbers can get so popular with most posts fitting into the same 3 or 4 categories yet we are on 6 pages already. I read the first page and have no need to read the others which I am sure will largely be much of the same.

Dare I say it, has this short lived thread served its purpose and be closed? :wink:

I don't get posters coming on a thread and saying it should be closed. No one made them come on it, and if they don't like it, just click on the back button.

:saai:

4 hours ago, stament said:

That just doesnt make sense .

How can you claim that all the posts in this thread fit into 3-4 categories when you have only read the first page !!!!!!!!

You are making a summary on this whole thread basing it on just the first page !!!!!!

3 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I have never heard anyone who had just came back from holiday  say "We had a great time there, we were in bed by midnight everynight"

Before the curfews , bars were open until the last person left, which was quite often in the early hours, 5AM there would always be bars still open,  are you suggesting that as soon as the curfews were enforced, people suddenly changed their minds and didnt want to go out until the early hours?

Destinations all over Thailand (which dont enforce the curfews) stay open until the early hours . Tourists go to BKK , the Islands and other places and stay out until the early hours , are you suggesting that as soon as they come to CM, they decide to start going to bed at midnight ?

The only busy place in town is near the river, The Good View restaurant is packed every night but is mostly locals. A few bars around the bus station is also happening but again, it is mostly Thai tourists and locals.
The millions of Chinese that came the last few years chased everyone else away. Now the Chinese flow has slowed but the damage is already done... greed from brainless people killed the golden goose, being high end farang tourists.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 minutes ago, ttthailand said:

The only busy place in town is near the river, The Good View restaurant is packed every night but is mostly locals. A few bars around the bus station is also happening but again, it is mostly Thai tourists and locals.
The millions of Chinese that came the last few years chased everyone else away. Now the Chinese flow has slowed but the damage is already done... greed from brainless people killed the golden goose, being high end farang tourists.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The Good view is packed everynight , seems to be with Chinese and Felangs , havent seen any locals in their . They either do extremely good food, as it isnt that cheap, or, as I expect, it had been featured in guide books .

I dont think that the Chinese coming to CM has nothing to do with felangs not coming here .

Chinese blend in with the local populace and they are hardly noticed and the Chinese are generally OK , the sometimes big groups can be annoying, when they block the way .but they hardly cause any issues or problems .

Chinese have had some bad media coverage, but they are generally OK

Posters ranting on about prostitutes are the ones that will get this thread closed. Staying out late for merriment does not mean specifically involving prostitution.

As regards Chiang Mai tourism, the city has lost it`s glitz and allure. The Tat hedged their bets on Chinese visitors that they believed were going to make Chiang Mai into a tourist boom town, but the plan has failed miserably. I don`t believe what some say that the over 60s have past their days of partying, because like many of us, including me, there is still life in the old dogs yet.

There are no doubts that Chiang Mai has become boring and holds little in the ways of attractions for tourists and what there is, is overpriced and of poor value. 

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

Posters ranting on about prostitutes are the ones that will get this thread closed. Staying out late for merriment does not mean specifically involving prostitution.

As regards Chiang Mai tourism, the city has lost it`s glitz and allure. The Tat hedged their bets on Chinese visitors that they believed were going to make Chiang Mai into a tourist boom town, but the plan has failed miserably. I don`t believe what some say that the over 60s have past their days of partying, because like many of us, including me, there is still life in the old dogs yet.

There are no doubts that Chiang Mai has become boring and holds little in the ways of attractions for tourists and what there is, is overpriced and of poor value. 

Read the rules. Prostitution can be included in the discussion, but not specifics. I can't say how much they charge or what one did on this forum, but I can certainly say they are down Loi kroh.

If there was anything to do in C M after 10 pm other than hang out in bars where prostitutes work, I'll be happy to hear about it. That does not include sitting outside 7 11 and drinking cheap booze or eating anywhere. The nightclub culture that I knew in Singapore where one could go to a nice bar and be entertained by a decent band that could actually pronounce English seems to be absent from C M. Seriously, if there was even a club playing Luk Thung nearby, I'd be down there every night. Would sure beat watching another B movie on tv in hotel room.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Read the rules. Prostitution can be included in the discussion, but not specifics. I can't say how much they charge or what one did on this forum, but I can certainly say they are down Loi kroh.

Although admitting  participating in illegal practices in Thailand is against TV rules .

Just now, sanemax said:

Although admitting  participating in illegal practices in Thailand is against TV rules .

No one has admitted to committing illegal practices. Going down Loi Kroh to look at them is not illegal.

This is a silly discussion and I'm not responding to you about it any more. That does not preclude mentioning the ladies if I so wish.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seriously, if there was even a club playing Luk Thung nearby, I'd be down there every night. Would sure beat watching another B movie on tv in hotel room.

Surely there must be at least a dozen Thai pubs/clubs in and around CM with live bands playing?

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

The Good view is packed everynight , seems to be with Chinese and Felangs , havent seen any locals in their . They either do extremely good food, as it isnt that cheap, or, as I expect, it had been featured in guide books .

I dont think that the Chinese coming to CM has nothing to do with felangs not coming here .

Chinese blend in with the local populace and they are hardly noticed and the Chinese are generally OK , the sometimes big groups can be annoying, when they block the way .but they hardly cause any issues or problems .

Chinese have had some bad media coverage, but they are generally OK

No locals in the Goodview?? LOL it's always about 75%" locals".

4 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Surely there must be at least a dozen Thai pubs/clubs in and around CM with live bands playing?

Many have closed. One of the oldest which was in Sansai that had live music 7 nights/week recently closed. Another I used to visit sometimes, also in Sansai, closed down and within a week the entire strip of restaurants, bars, etc. was bulldozed ready for development.

Promenada on Thurs-Sun has live music and food and drinks. About 90% Thai patrons.  I would recommend that on your visit. We go often. It's nice for an evening out. (Be careful of the police on the main road by the exit waiting to bust drivers who had too much too drink!)

I'm not saying there are none, don't get me wrong. But seriously, if you come across some good live music venues while on your visit, please let us know.

There a re a few places with solo acoustic guitar/singer entertainment like near the bus station.

21 hours ago, Chicog said:

There are three courses around PP and some interesting investment projects popping up.

Give it a few years.

Yeah I know nice courses too  but $150 US for golf, cart and caddie is way, way out of line.

9 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

DELETED

DELETED

In answer to the question raised by the op, parts of Chiang Mai are really busy, as they usually are at this time of the year, but the seedy side has been in decline for years, so anyone's view of how busy Chiang Mai is will always be dependant on where they are going. The number of references here to Loi Kroh rd are an indication as to where many of these opinions are coming from. The vast majority of Chiang Mai tourists not only don't visit Loi Kroh, but will go out of their way to avoid it. Except, of course, the part of Loi Kroh between McDonalds and the iron bridge.

Edited by seedy
Quote Hidden Post