Last dugong in Gulf of Thailand found dead

webfact

Last dugong in Gulf of Thailand found dead

By Coconuts Bangkok 

d1_1.jpg

Photo: Seub Nakasathain Foundation

RAYONG: -- A male dugong, believed to be the only remaning dugong in the Gulf of Thailand, was found dead in the sea of Rayong province last week, according to today’s report.

The dead dugong was found on Nov. 25, only two days after a dead bruda whale was found near the Lamchabang Pier in Chonburi.

The male dugong was bruised and bloody along his body, indicating a collision before death, according to Marine and Coastal Resources Research and Development Center of the Eastern Gulf of Thailand.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/12/01/last-dugong-gulf-thailand-found-dead

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-12-01

Sometimes I think that the End for the human race is not too far away as well ...

It does not fit in Darwin's theory of evolution that it is not the " survival of the strongest , or most intelligent " anymore , but the poorest and most uneducated have more kids than others .

In long term that might lead to a degeneration of the human DNA ... not to talk about the ecological catastrophy that we are facing ...but nobody wants to hear this anyway .

It's all about getting more and more , isn't it ? ( just a rhetorical question ...)

Edited by pumpuy

I remember being in Guilin, China, in 1986 and chatting to the entrepreneurial young manager of a restaurant with a zoo full of animals in cages out front. I pointed at a pangolin and mentioned that they were said to be a threatened species. 'Once there were dinosaurs on the earth' he replied. 'Now they are gone and one day elephants will be too. But they will be replaced by yet another species. That is the way of the world. 

He then told me about a 'stupid American guy' who had bought an owl from a restaurant to save it. Now he was leaving China, and asked this guy to look after it. 'I told him that I would happily take it from him but would put it straight on the menu as soon as he left.'

Edited by Spock
error

20 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Poor government conservation Animal Extinct  This will happen to the Elephant a  National Symbol in a few years 

There are very few countries on earth that can point to their conservation of wildlife with pride. I haven't noticed any wolves or bears in the UK recently.

However if you use a comparison method, i.e. comparing Thailand with comparable nations in the region, it is probably above par. The key to this is a resistance to deforestation/habitat destruction.

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

There are very few countries on earth that can point to their conservation of wildlife with pride. I haven't noticed any wolves or bears in the UK recently.

However if you use a comparison method, i.e. comparing Thailand with comparable nations in the region, it is probably above par. The key to this is a resistance to deforestation/habitat destruction.

Actually the USA and Canada have an immensely successful conservation program.  Many different kinds of large game and migratory birds have rapidly expanding populations. What is ironic is that this was accomplished by having government and hunters working together.

17 hours ago, Briggsy said:

You seem to be defending Thailand and there is no defense They have lost a species Shame on them 

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

You seem to be defending Thailand and there is no defense They have lost a species Shame on them 

I am to some extent defending Thailand. Things are not black and white.

Thailand began setting up its National Park system including Marine National Parks in the 1950's. Habitat destruction was well underway due to the fact that Thailand was the recipient of excellent infrastructure projects from the American military / Cold War effort. This meant a free for all as the machines and road networks to profit from timber and then grab the land for agriculture and then export the products from port facilities all suddenly existed. Unintended consequences and all that.

The creation of National Parks then mean that today Thailand still has the Western Complex, the Dong Phaya Yen range and many more intact habitats. Compare this with the deforestation in Burma, Laos, Indonesia which compares badly with Thailand.

Is the situation perfect? Of course not.

From Trang

The Nation  12 March 2016

According to an annual aerial survey that concluded on Wednesday, Thailand’s dugong population is growing, with at least 15 more sea cows counted in the Trang Sea. Twelve pairs of dugong mothers and calves were found - a positive sign that efforts to conserve the last and largest dugong herd in Thailand has made progress.

Fishermen’s groups in the area have cooperated by not using dangerous fishing gear. Still, at least one dugong was found entangled in seine fishing net near Koh Libong.

This year’s survey started on March 3 and was made up of 10 gyroplane trips - which count rare marine life including sea turtles, plus dolphins, whales and dugongs. 

Kongkiat led the survey with support from other Thai and Japanese researchers. 

“This latest survey was very successful. We found at least 150 dugongs in total, an increase from the previous year’s 135 sea cows. We also found baby dugongs in the area, which indicated the dugongs’ better reproduction condition. The oldest dugong is believed to be about 70 years old,” Kongkiat said. Plus Trang’s 35,000 rai (5,600 hectares) of seagrass appeared to be healthy, he said.

The survey were first conducted in 2010 and reported a peak of dugong deaths - 13 cases - in 2012. 

Last year, six dugong deaths were reported killed, mostly because of hazardous fishing gear, Kongkiat said, adding that the centre aimed to keep the death rate under five a year. 

]30281381-02-sld.jpg

On 01/12/2016 at 5:51 PM, Briggsy said:

One country is Australia. They are extremely strict about wild life conservation especially marine life. Get caught with undersize fish or female crabs in your boat  and not only a heavy fine, but boat and equipment will be taken. Here in Thailand , they take everything, tiny shell fish and minnow sized fish. All make good soup is what they tell me.

6 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

One country is Australia. They are extremely strict about wild life conservation especially marine life. Get caught with undersize fish or female crabs in your boat  and not only a heavy fine, but boat and equipment will be taken. Here in Thailand , they take everything, tiny shell fish and minnow sized fish. All make good soup is what they tell me.

Whilst I completely agree with everything you say, I would argue that Australia is not a "comparable nation".

GDP per capita "Int$" (PPP)

Australia 47,644 (16th in world)

Thailand 16,130 (74th in world)

Richer countries can shift the compromise point between economic and environmental factors.

Population Density

Australia 2.91 (229th in world)

Thailand 132.02 (84th in world)

Less densely populated countries can shift the compromise point between land use, or in your example, sea use, and economic factors.

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

Whilst I completely agree with everything you say, I would argue that Australia is not a "comparable nation".

GDP per capita "Int$" (PPP)

Australia 47,644 (16th in world)

Thailand 16,130 (74th in world)

Richer countries can shift the compromise point between economic and environmental factors.

Population Density

Australia 2.91 (229th in world)

Thailand 132.02 (84th in world)

Less densely populated countries can shift the compromise point between land use, or in your example, sea use, and economic factors.

Aust population 24 million.

Thai                     67 million          What has this to do with wild life conservation laws.

Again, I don't think Thailand and Australia are comparable nations in this regard.

Population density greatly affects the way the available land and sea can be put aside for conservation or intensively used for agriculture/fishing.