Bookshop

roger101

Whats happened to the second hand bookshop at the South Pattaya Market (The one with market days Tuesday and Friday). It was above Tops on Pattaya Klang for years and moved here a couple (or 3) years ago.

I always thought it was the best 2nd hand bookshop in Pattaya as all the books were catalogued by author which made searching quite easy. Unlike another bookshop I can think of which makes negotiating for a particular book a nightmare.

Anybody know where its moved to.

On 12/1/2016 at 11:10 PM, William Osborne said:

prob closed due to lack of business..... i used to be an avid book reader and would always have a book on the go...these days if i read at all I use a kindle but mostly spend my time messing about with the internet on my phone....  

I much prefer paper books, but ebooks are usually much cheaper these days and there are plenty of free classics and other stuff. Unfortunately, bookstores are going the way of the Dodo.

On 12/5/2016 at 3:17 AM, Ulysses G. said:

I much prefer paper books, but ebooks are usually much cheaper these days and there are plenty of free classics and other stuff. Unfortunately, bookstores are going the way of the Dodo.

If your looking for a particular book eBooks are not necessarily cheaper. I spend to much time reading on the internet anyway.

There is  one thing the internet or eBooks cannot give you and that's the shear pleasure of browsing and finding a book you are looking for.

i used to be the same and was quiet proud of the collection of books i had stacked in my house...but as they were mostly second hand and with the thai climate they were mostly falling apart and turning into a dust/ health hazard..... with the kindle , you can download any book , even books that you've read 20 years ago in seconds...... i have also tried a couple of audio books via another source to my phone which i found quiet good when you are walking / on a bus etc..

• 3 weeks later...

just my luck!  I still have 30 baht credit slip from that bookstore in my wallet.  I was going to use it next time i'm in Thailand.  now I might not go. hahaha

I wonder what percentage of people actually read books?  I mean regularly, like whenever you sit down in a coffee shop you've got a book.  read every night before falling asleep. 10%?

personally, i love used bookstores.  i like kindle too, but still seek out used bookstores wherever i go.  i guess pattaya is down to 1 now? cantebury?

@ullyses g- last time i was in chiang mai i was sorry to see that all the geckos were gone.  place just isn't the same.  good luck to you.

Edited by kharmabum

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2017 at 5:56 AM, roger101 said:

Anybody got any news about where (or if) the bookshop has moved to.

I'm arriving in Pattaya on Tuesday (24/1) and Mike who runs Pattaya  Second Hand Books (formerly Pattaya Beach Books) is a long time personal friend. Unfortunately, he hasn't replied to my emails but when I catch up with him, I'll try to remember to post on here if there's anything useful to add. Having said that, as much as I also like old fashioned books, for travel purposes eReaders are the way to go. My new Paperwhite has 75+ very varied  books on it for my upcoming trip, sorted into collections. Now I couldn't pack that lot in my suitcase! :wink: Of course if a bookshop has something special, there's nothing stopping me from buying some.

20 hours ago, VBF said:

I'm arriving in Pattaya on Tuesday (24/1) and Mike who runs Pattaya  Second Hand Books (formerly Pattaya Beach Books) is a long time personal friend. Unfortunately, he hasn't replied to my emails but when I catch up with him, I'll try to remember to post on here if there's anything useful to add. Having said that, as much as I also like old fashioned books, for travel purposes eReaders are the way to go. My new Paperwhite has 75+ very varied  books on it for my upcoming trip, sorted into collections. Now I couldn't pack that lot in my suitcase! :wink: Of course if a bookshop has something special, there's nothing stopping me from buying some.

I hope he's found a new location, the shop at the Buakhao market was great and for my money was the best place to shop for books in Pattaya - even when all the 'new' shops were still open. I never failed to find something of interest there.

As for ereaders, each to their own. Personally I prefer books for a number of reasons, not least the flexibility they offer when at home, reading on the beach and in transit.

5 hours ago, londoedan said:

I hope he's found a new location, the shop at the Buakhao market was great and for my money was the best place to shop for books in Pattaya - even when all the 'new' shops were still open. I never failed to find something of interest there.

As for ereaders, each to their own. Personally I prefer books for a number of reasons, not least the flexibility they offer when at home, reading on the beach and in transit.

@londoedan  I take that point, and yes I like to handle conventional books and read them at home, but actually, it is the flexibility of ebooks  when travelling that appeals to me. As I mentioned above, I can pack dozens of ebooks in my case (couldn't do that with paperbacks!) and my Paperwhite reader works brilliantly in the sunshine (unlike tablets or phones) so I can literally have my library in my bumbag. But no I'm not here to sell them and I'm sure <removed> will disapprove of my thoughts - he and i have had this conversation over the years.  I'm following this thread so feel free to "bump" it in a week or so if I don't update it. 

Edited by Rimmer
name removed

UPDATE 26-1-17

Spoke to Mike, the owner yesterday. Apparently the shop closed in October, for  reasons he wishes to remain private but he still has the stock stored safely and plans are afoot to open in another location "as soon as possible". That is all he wishes to be made publicly known but when the shop re-opens he will ask me to post here.   So........that's all for now folks.

• 4 months later...
On 1/26/2017 at 11:24 AM, VBF said:

UPDATE 26-1-17

Spoke to Mike, the owner yesterday. Apparently the shop closed in October, for  reasons he wishes to remain private but he still has the stock stored safely and plans are afoot to open in another location "as soon as possible". That is all he wishes to be made publicly known but when the shop re-opens he will ask me to post here.   So........that's all for now folks.

Any developments?  I sure miss that bookshop.

Edited by CRUNCHER

3 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

Any developments?  I sure miss that bookshop.

AS OF 31-5-2017

I've heard nothing from Mike and as I'm now back in UK am unlikely to hear from him.

If I do hear, I will certainly post here.

• 4 months later...
14 hours ago, roger101 said:

As we are coming up to 2 years since it closed has anybody heard anything, or are we wasting our time hoping for it to reappear.

Mike has listed the shop contents for sale on BahtSold classifieds at 225,000 baht so its unlikely

you could buy it and start your own bookshop

Shame it was a very good bookshop , still when in the UK i always go to the charity shops and stock up with lots of paperbacks , and my family have just gone home leaving some good reads . and i know they cost more but the bookshops here in Pattaya usually have the latest books i like .

14 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Shame it was a very good bookshop , still when in the UK i always go to the charity shops and stock up with lots of paperbacks , and my family have just gone home leaving some good reads . and i know they cost more but the bookshops here in Pattaya usually have the latest books i like .

Yes it was good and I've unfortunately lost contact with Mike - hopefully I'll catch up with him next trip to Thailand.

Sadly, I'm one of the people who are his nemesis inasmuch as i just don't buy paper books any more. I can carry a couple of hundred of them on my e-reader and for travel purposes that's ideal. Sign of the times, which, ironically Mike and i discussed several years ago. 

8 hours ago, VBF said:

Yes it was good and I've unfortunately lost contact with Mike - hopefully I'll catch up with him next trip to Thailand.

Sadly, I'm one of the people who are his nemesis inasmuch as i just don't buy paper books any more. I can carry a couple of hundred of them on my e-reader and for travel purposes that's ideal. Sign of the times, which, ironically Mike and i discussed several years ago. 

I tried an e reader ,but just dont like them ,although my sister and her husband were here a couple of months ago and thats all they ever read now ,

On 10/26/2017 at 3:51 PM, roger101 said:

As we are coming up to 2 years since it closed has anybody heard anything, or are we wasting our time hoping for it to reappear.

Mike has listed the shop contents for sale on BahtSold classifieds at 225,000 baht so its unlikely

you could buy it and start your own bookshop

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, roger101 said:

Any chance of a more detailed location.

Google is your friend

and

JK Books Pattaya  
Used book store in Pattaya, Thailand

Address: 21/153 Chokchai Garden Home 2, Pattaya, Nongphuer, BANGLAMUNG, Chon Buri
Hours: 
Open today · 8AM–1AM

Phone: 081 299 2302