Bike insurance

roger101

What do cyclist do here about insurance . As in accident or stolen. When I asked in a insurance brokers I was told cannot do because bike isn't registered.

When I had a bike in the UK (many years ago) the bike was covered by the household policy. But you can get cover for property damage and public liability etc.

Quote in the UK for a comprehensive bike cover 60 Pounds including legal expenses and riding worldwide on a 11,000 Baht bike.

So what to Thais do or don't they bother.

My medical insurance covers me for accidents unless I'm in specific types of races.

I'm sure this varies by home country, but I bet most people self-insure, if they think about it at all. GBP 60 seems like a lot for an 11k baht bike. My wife and I have 15 bikes, most with a replacement cost of over 100k baht. Some theft coverage comes with my property insurance in the US but doesn't apply here. But since I haven't had a bike stolen in 40 years, so even at 60 pounds a year I've self-insured and saved 2400 pounds. Time for a new bike!

I left my life in the West long before the insurance companies got into my head or my pocket.  When I buy a bike the money is gone and I don’t expect to get anything back.  It is my responsibility to protect both the bike and myself.  In short I am one of those individuals who doesn’t bother.

On 12/2/2016 at 6:57 AM, el jefe said:

My medical insurance covers me for accidents unless I'm in specific types of races.

I'm sure this varies by home country, but I bet most people self-insure, if they think about it at all. GBP 60 seems like a lot for an 11k baht bike. 

Bikes are easy to replace, or to wave by-bye to them.  Try scratching a HiSo's Lamborghini at a light, or being accused of causing an accident when someone swerves to avoid you and ends up in the hospital with a wrecked car.

Insurance is also to cover liability for damage (real or perceived) to third parties, and medical bills for the rider.  Low probability, but that can bankrupt a typical retiree here in Thailand.  60 pounds sounds cheap if it really covers injuries and 3rd party liability.