Bangkok is cheapest place in Southeast Asia that people actually want to visit: TripAdvisor

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Cheap is relative. A middle class couple who spend 5000 baht on dinner on the 50th floor at bayan tree roof top open restaurant gazing the whole of Bangkok will find it cheap because they spend it back home in just a nice restaurant. Where would you get that in those other countries? Cambo and loas have crappy malls if you can find one lol. Vietnam isn't exactly a shopping destination

A sky train that literally pulls up to some of the world's best malls where you can still have 30baht or 3000baht meal.. Up to you

It's the over all experience, and the cheapest for that EXPERIENCE is Bangkok! So I believe your wrong this time

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Haha ok we'll agree to differ. I genuinely laughed out loud as you named the 3 things I try to avoid at all costs and precisely why we disagree. Perspective - a funny old thing.

1. Shopping
  2. Malls
  3. Public transport

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha ok we'll agree to differ. I genuinely laughed out loud as you named the 3 things I try to avoid at all costs and precisely why we disagree. Perspective - a funny old thing.

1. Shopping
  2. Malls
  3. Public transport

Well the tourists will love the transport on the sky train, only a lunatic would hire a car in Bangkok lol. I eat at malls everyday on lower Suk and the eye candy helps pass the time.

Malls are very important it's where hubby gives wifey a wad of cash and tells her to go shopping all day whilst he slips out for a bit of "entertainment"

But yeah we agree to disagree :-)

4 minutes ago, FarangJon said:

Why comparing Hanoi with Bkk?

Impossible.

It's unbelievable that people can't see what others see. Some like Bkk [apparently the shopping and malls are brilliant], some like other things. Personally, I prefer Saigon to here because it's not like here. Malls are the devil's work - I'd sooner poke myself in the eye with a large stick than set foot in Centralhell or Siam Pandamonia. But each to his/her own.

BTW, I'm relocating my business to Vietnam, partly for these reasons. Keeping it real.

It's unbelievable that people can't see what others see. Some like Bkk [apparently the shopping and malls are brilliant], some like other things. Personally, I prefer Saigon to here because it's not like here. Malls are the devil's work - I'd sooner poke myself in the eye with a large stick than set foot in Centralhell or Siam Pandamonia. But each to his/her own.
BTW, I'm relocating my business to Vietnam, partly for these reasons. Keeping it real.

But it's not about you.!I thought you would finally got it, put your tourist hat on and take off your business hat it has zip to do with this thread. Your taking it personally. This thread is not about expats but about people who only have 7 days. Spend it in Hanoi? What a freaking waste and boredom sets in after 3 days!

Nothing beats the buzz of Bangkok for the 7 day tourist

6 minutes ago, mcfish said:

But it's not about you.!I thought you would finally got it, put your tourist hat on and take off your business hat it has zip to do with this thread. Your taking it personally. This thread is not about expats but about people who only have 7 days. Spend it in Hanoi? What a freaking waste and boredom sets in after 3 days!

Nothing beats the buzz of Bangkok for the 7 day tourist

Oh I see, haha, it's not about me?! Fk it then [ :post-4641-1156693976: to self].

Sorry mcfish, I really don't care, just having the craic mate [Irish crack]. There's far more important things for all of us. Have a good one!

What about Chiang Mai, Thailand!?!  It is quasi-famous, a lot cheaper than Bangkok, doesn't have 12 million people, and even the Thais go there on vacation.  

You forgot to mention at midday you could walk to the main drag stand in front of maccas, fire a shot gun in both directions and hit NOTHING. I just spent 3 weeks there and whilst it has some positives it's still the most boring city of its size in Thailand.. Unless you're a vegetarian only backpacker then your in heaven.. But compare it to Bangkok? I think you need help :-)

17 hours ago, leggo said:

This is total <deleted>! Look at the list and hanoi is never even mentioned and it is far cheaper than Bangkok!

With one twenty fifth of the fun, I find Hanoi boring..............yes, cheap as all hell, but boring.    Saigon has a lot more to offer, Nha Trang is a great beach town, but Pattaya has a lot more to do............all a matter of perspective IMO.................and I live in Vietnam part time of the year..........

23 hours ago, impulse said:

A capitol city where you can get a decent room downtown with A/C for $25, eat on the street for $2 and get a nice mango snack for $0.60?  And spend a great day gawking pretty much for free?

Edit: Sure, you can blow a big wad in BKK.  But you don't have to.

I always smile when I realize that I'm getting paid to be here...

You probably wear shorts, slippers and a t-shirt.

Buy everything on the market asking for a discount too.

Well it's a life.

For the tourist Bangkok is not cheap, was but not is.

One can do anything they want with statistics.  Note.  Vietnam is not included.  I find it to be a very worthwhile place to visit having been there four times already.  I can get very nice three star hotel rooms in both Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi for as little as $40.00 a night including breakfast--with superb central locations.   

55 minutes ago, jackcorbett said:

One can do anything they want with statistics.  Note.  Vietnam is not included.  I find it to be a very worthwhile place to visit having been there four times already.  I can get very nice three star hotel rooms in both Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi for as little as $40.00 a night including breakfast--with superb central locations.   

As you can do in Bangkok also......so what's your point?:saai:

On 3-12-2016 at 6:05 AM, impulse said:

A capitol city where you can get a decent room downtown with A/C for $25, eat on the street for $2 and get a nice mango snack for $0.60?  And spend a great day gawking pretty much for free?

Edit: Sure, you can blow a big wad in BKK.  But you don't have to.

I always smile when I realize that I'm getting paid to be here...

For 25$ you'll get a crappy room in a crappy area with streets you can't walk around where nobody speaks english and there even are no bins to be found.

If you want to get sick than eat from the streetvendors.

23 minutes ago, fruitman said:

For 25$ you'll get a crappy room in a crappy area with streets you can't walk around where nobody speaks english and there even are no bins to be found.

If you want to get sick than eat from the streetvendors.

Do your research! For $25 or Less you can get a decent room ....just check out Agoda ...It has close to 1000 rooms at that price

https://www.agoda.com/pages/agoda/default/DestinationSearchResult.aspx?city=9395&cid=-1&pagetypeid=1&origin=TH&htmlLanguage=en-us&checkIn=2016-12-12&checkOut=2016-12-13&los=1&rooms=1&adults=2&children=0&ckuid=9b0a494d-2d74-4acf-a027-19e2807cdfc0&priceFrom=0&priceTo=24&priceCur=USD&hotelReviewScore=0&sort=agodaRecommended

Edited by beachproperty

20 minutes ago, fruitman said:

If you want to get sick than eat from the street vendors.

For $25, you can get a decent place to sleep after a day of fun.  It may not have a gym and a nice pool and chocolates on the pillows, but it will be pretty clean, the plumbing will work, the door will lock and that's all I need when I come in after dark and head out early the next morning for more fun.  Most rooms look pretty much the same when the lights are off and I'm asleep with my eyes closed.

I have never gotten sick in thousands of street meals in Thailand.  I get minor food poisoning about once a month from some of the more popular ($$$) expat restaurants, and get it bad about once a year.  Never from street food, though.  Knock wood.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

For $25, you can get a decent place to sleep after a day of fun.  It may not have a gym and a nice pool and chocolates on the pillows, but it will be pretty clean, the plumbing will work, the door will lock and that's all I need when I come in after dark and head out early the next morning for more fun.  Most rooms look pretty much the same when the lights are off and I'm asleep with my eyes closed.

I have never gotten sick in thousands of street meals in Thailand.  I get minor food poisoning about once a month from some of the more popular ($$$) expat restaurants, and get it bad about once a year.  Never from street food, though.  Knock wood.

You are not a European quality tourist who's used to everything superclean and made according the highest standards.

I see only hotels at the airports (who wants to stay there?) or kao sarn road (for cheapo backpackers).

Not a nice hotel at the skytrain in the city for that price.  But many cheapo tourists think that Thailand is Kao sarn road so for them it's good enough. There's no good transport there but for that price one shouldn't complain i guess.

9 minutes ago, fruitman said:

You are not a European quality tourist who's used to everything superclean and made according the highest standards.

Nor do I confuse "quality tourists" with "wealthy tourists".  

A philosophy I learned long ago was to leave every situation better than I found it.  That's how I define a "quality tourist"  Sometimes, I do well.  Sometimes, I disappoint myself.

I've met a lot of wealthy tourists that leave so much damage and heartache in their wake that no amount of spending will compensate.  And I've met cheap-ass backpackers who don't spend much, but leave every place a little better than they found it.  I like them, though I'm not much like them.  They like $25 rooms.

Edited by impulse

10 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I see only hotels at the airports (who wants to stay there?) or kao sarn road (for cheapo backpackers).

Not a nice hotel at the skytrain in the city for that price.  But many cheapo tourists think that Thailand is Kao sarn road so for them it's good enough. There's no good transport there but for that price one shouldn't complain i guess.

Well I guess you didn't look that hard!:shock1:

There were quite a few hotels in the Sukumvit are (Ekami and such) near the Skytrain....Also transportation in Bangkok is just a cab ride away...and there are  Plenty

of Taxi's.....Taxi's ARE cheap!

Maybe if you looked (did your research) you could find the gems ....but I guess you are TOO lazy:passifier:

A quality European tourist staying in $25 rooms? More like cheap Charlie expats
But your missing the point it's not about the cheapest accommodation. Once you snared that lovely room you actually have stay there for 7 days, that's the catch. On the 4th day after you cant even look at another bowl of Poh and been to everyone bar in that one tourist Street in Saigon you will never go back it's just to boring!

1 minute ago, beachproperty said:

Well I guess you didn't look that hard!:shock1:

There were quite a few hotels in the Sukumvit are (Ekami and such) near the Skytrain....Also transportation in Bangkok is just a cab ride away...and there are  Plenty

of Taxi's.....Taxi's ARE cheap!

Maybe if you looked (did your research) you could find the gems ....but I guess you are TOO lazy:passifier:

Yup too lazy, i live in a great house in BKK and have plenty transport so why would i look?

But what can a tourist do in BKK except shopping in a mall/market? For the rest they need transport which will be a minibus i guess, go Ayutthaya and the bridge over the river Kwai....have done that and not much fun for me.

They can also spend a day on the riverboats which are nothing in english and very complicated to find out which one you need. 

Taxi is cheap but also iin trafficjam all day, with a driver who can't speak english, big fun for one day only.

Most tourists avoid BKK like a plague and all better places along the coast cost more a night. Again they need transport to go there.

But yes, there are places to sleep for 1000 baht a night in BKK, if you like to swim in a mini pool you might even find that as well. Tv probably doesn't work or you have to set the channels yourself, maybe internet is free and fast and the 711 always has hotdogs and beer.

13 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Yes the  CHEAPEST destination, that's not the best. The cheapest for hotels but a tourist needs more than a hotel i would think. 

I see tourists going to chatuchak market in the weekend, well big fun there...or they walk around the area of kao sarn road, also big fun i would say. I'm sure they would love to go to a nice pool but that ain't there.

This survey is for backpackers and other cheapo's who want the cheapest holiday available and don't need any quality/safety. If you want bars/restaurant kao sarn roadstyle better stay in Europe/Australia.  Cheaper quality beer, more meat and bigger portions plus they can drink water from the tap. Greece/Spain is also great and cheap now, has really clean sea's, great beaches, nice food and plenty other tourists instead of chinese grouptours.

Bangkok is cheapest place in Southeast Asia that people actually want to visit

completely wrong.Its not the cheapest, that award goes to Vietnam where there are thousands of  back packers in the main tourist strip in Saigon ,thank god kao sarn road is miles away from lower sukhumvit..its almost like its another country lol

Read the headline over and over the clue is in there

I remember from 6th class at school Europe is not in Asia

Edited by mcfish

On 03/12/2016 at 8:33 AM, leggo said:

This is total <deleted>! Look at the list and hanoi is never even mentioned and it is far cheaper than Bangkok!

Maybe that's because, according to the link, Hanoi did not even appear on the list of the most desirable places that people wanted to go?

On 03/12/2016 at 9:20 AM, madmitch said:

I saw this in the Bangkok Post yesterday and the only reason Bangkok was number one in the list is because of the flight price, which is a variable depending upon where you live, therefore shouldn't really be included.

Excluding flights the Philippine destinations were cheaper, but no Cambodia or Vietnam cities in the list. Why?

As always, you can manipulate figures to read what you want them to. 

"As always, you can manipulate figures to read what you want them to. "

Just as you want to do with TripAdvisor's research.

Cambodia or Vietnam were not on the list because they didn't even rank on the other list of places people actually wanted to go to.

On 03/12/2016 at 9:42 AM, charmonman said:

Personally, I would rather visit Hanoi (or other spots in Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos) than many of the other places on the list. Who are these "People"?

"Who are these "People"?"

Individuals with different tastes?   Why the derogatory inverted commas?

Yup too lazy, i live in a great house in BKK and have plenty transport so why would i look?

But what can a tourist do in BKK except shopping in a mall/market? For the rest they need transport which will be a minibus i guess, go Ayutthaya and the bridge over the river Kwai....have done that and not much fun for me.

They can also spend a day on the riverboats which are nothing in english and very complicated to find out which one you need. 

Taxi is cheap but also iin trafficjam all day, with a driver who can't speak english, big fun for one day only.

Most tourists avoid BKK like a plague and all better places along the coast cost more a night. Again they need transport to go there.

But yes, there are places to sleep for 1000 baht a night in BKK, if you like to swim in a mini pool you might even find that as well. Tv probably doesn't work or you have to set the channels yourself, maybe internet is free and fast and the 711 always has hotdogs and beer.

" Most tourists avoid BKK like a plague and all better places along the coast cost more a night. Again they need transport to go there."

Im really struggling with this. Let's see now should I believe every major well respected tourist publications awarding Bangkok every prestigious award every year as the number one tourist hotspot...... Or...... Should I believe a dude called "fruit man" [emoji23]

So go ahead tell us about these wonderful little "places along the coast" that have replaced Bangkok?

On 03/12/2016 at 9:47 AM, Stargrazer9889 said:

in Bangkok put a bit on your nose and you will be fine. Pollution!

Geezer

Don't worry about having to put a "bit" on your nose, research has many times disproved the the misconception that Bangkok is a particularly polluted city.

4 hours ago, mcfish said:

" Most tourists avoid BKK like a plague and all better places along the coast cost more a night. Again they need transport to go there."

Im really struggling with this. Let's see now should I believe every major well respected tourist publications awarding Bangkok every prestigious award every year as the number one tourist hotspot...... Or...... Should I believe a dude called "fruit man" emoji23.png

So go ahead tell us about these wonderful little "places along the coast" that have replaced Bangkok?

So you think Europeans who go 3 times a year on holiday want to go to BKK? For what? Yes for a stopover to Australia maybe and stay there 1-2 nights which is enough. If they wanna stay longer they go to the coast, Phuket Samui are the places to be (not that's it's so great there though).

Guess all the chinese book BKK hotels and they also count as tourists. For them it's a village compared to Shanghai or Beijing with clean air and everything fantastic because they don't have sleezy nightlife at home, not even youtube.

Just compare who books the hotelrooms in London or in BKK and see what they spend and who they are.