Helpful Advice On Termite & Pest Control

Greenside

Today we found the beginnings of a termite mound under our house despite treating the ground with Solignum Soilguard during construction and having under and round the building sprayed fairly regularly.  One problem is that we had two different contractors do the post construction treatments and I know it's going to be a pass the buck situation if I try to get help from either of them.  In light of this I started to phone round the companies I found online with service in Chiang Mai to make appointments.  One arrived almost immediately and came up with a solution that was pretty much what I had in mind but extremely expensive; treat the termite colonies visible under the house and protect the perimeter with in ground bait boxes to prevent new ones from taking over.  The next company I called, "Creepy Crawly Pest Control" (couldn't resist with a name like that!) sadly turned out to only have an office in Pattaya despite a Google map that showed locations in almost every major city.  "I tell them to change it but somehow they never do", Carl, the owner told me wearily.  Despite not being a potential customer he went to give me detailed advice about my problem including warnings about counterfeit chemicals and the correct way to apply treatments  About 10 minutes into the conversation he told me to hang on so he could pull over and talk properly and I started to wonder if moving the house down south could be a viable option!

Anyway, his advice was to inject the termite mounds with a Bayer product called Agenda and inject Fipronyl (another Bayer/BASF) chemical) into the soil every 20cms around the perimeter of the house at a distance of 20cms.  This also turns out quite expensive but lasts a number of years (unless you dig pathways through it, I imagine) and doesn't need the level of maintenance the bait boxes do.  I haven't done the reading on this yet but thought I'd add it to the forum while I remembered.  My advice which I'd add to his is try to stick to one pest control company so you know who to blame if it doesn't work and put Creepy Crawly on your list of companies to call if you need help in Pattaya.

(By the way, I have no connection with this or any other company but appreciate help and service when I get it)

In Phuket I use "7 Pest Control" company. They drill holes through the tiles at the corners of the rooms and squirt some nasty white liquid stuff down (Chlorpyrifos). They fill the holes with white filler compound.

They also spray the garden, walls, trees, with the stuff. I have to leave the house for a couple of hours while the smell dissipates.

The only drawback is that everything dies, especially the cicada "tree crickets" that live (used to live) in the soil and crawled out (used to crawl out) every year and make a lot of noise.

I think it cost about 10,000 baht for a year's treatment which included 2 or 3 visits to re-spray.

Chlorpyrifos is now banned in many countries, but TIT.