How long can I stay in Thailand

Few years back, I got 3 entry tourist visa, and I could stay up to 1 year in Thailand, I had to hop ever the order every 3 months to Cambodia, then after 8 or 9 months I had to go to Laos and via agency and I got another 6 months.....

Does this still work?

Short Answer:  No.

There are no more double and triple entry Tourist Visas anywhere.  If you are under-50 years old ...

Alternative 1:  There is a new "Multi Entry Tourist Visa" - though it can only be acquired in you country of legal residence, has some requirements to meet, and these requirements vary by the consulate where you get it.   Validity is 6 months, with each entry being 60-days, extend-able in-country for another 30 days.  One can get a total of 9 months out of it, if you receive it just before coming to Thailand, and make your last re-entry just before it expires.  There is a sticky-thread on that visa at the top of this forum with loads of info, but if you tell us your resident-nationality, others with recent experience getting one in that country may be able to give you the low-down.

Alternative 2: Get a series of single-entry Tourist Visas.  A year's worth may be difficult to get from a single consulate, but you can hop around to different consulates to attain about 2 years worth before you will need to get a new passport to start over .  As with the multi, every consulate makes up its own rules as to the requirements, and how many they will give you in the same passport.   Starting with a fresh passport is helpful, in this regard, as some consulates will count visas from years back.  In general, you apply one day, receive it the next, then come back to Thailand, though a few consulates take longer, or require more money in fee to an agent for next-day service. 

Whichever method you choose, be sure to always have 20K Baht worth of currency in your pocket when you enter Thailand; some proof of where your money comes from / how you can afford to stay here long-term is also a good idea.  Questioning upon attempted-entry is more likely the longer you stay on Tourist Visas, but never hurts to always be prepared.

If you are over 50, or are fairly wealthy (i.e. can afford to spend 500K baht for a 5-year 'Elite' visa), more alternatives are available.  Working with a work-permit, volunteering with a work-permit, taking Thai-language classes 4-days/wk 2-hrs/day ... more options there, as well.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Short Answer:  No.

There are no more double and triple entry Tourist Visas anywhere.  If you are under-50 years old ...

Alternative 1:  There is a new "Multi Entry Tourist Visa" - though it can only be acquired in you country of legal residence, has some requirements to meet, and these requirements vary by the consulate where you get it.   Validity is 6 months, with each entry being 60-days, extend-able in-country for another 30 days.  One can get a total of 9 months out of it, if you receive it just before coming to Thailand, and make your last re-entry just before it expires.  There is a sticky-thread on that visa at the top of this forum with loads of info, but if you tell us your resident-nationality, others with recent experience getting one in that country may be able to give you the low-down.

Alternative 2: Get a series of single-entry Tourist Visas.  A year's worth may be difficult to get from a single consulate, but you can hop around to different consulates to attain about 2 years worth before you will need to get a new passport to start over .  As with the multi, every consulate makes up its own rules as to the requirements, and how many they will give you in the same passport.   Starting with a fresh passport is helpful, in this regard, as some consulates will count visas from years back.  In general, you apply one day, receive it the next, then come back to Thailand, though a few consulates take longer, or require more money in fee to an agent for next-day service. 

Whichever method you choose, be sure to always have 20K Baht worth of currency in your pocket when you enter Thailand; some proof of where your money comes from / how you can afford to stay here long-term is also a good idea.  Questioning upon attempted-entry is more likely the longer you stay on Tourist Visas, but never hurts to always be prepared.

If you are over 50, or are fairly wealthy (i.e. can afford to spend 500K baht for a 5-year 'Elite' visa), more alternatives are available.  Working with a work-permit, volunteering with a work-permit, taking Thai-language classes 4-days/wk 2-hrs/day ... more options there, as well.

In view of the guy who was sent back to Penang last week after 180 days isn't it also worth mentioning that getting relatively easy visas is no guarantee of being allowed into the country any more?

54 minutes ago, midas said:

In view of the guy who was sent back to Penang last week after 180 days isn't it also worth mentioning that getting relatively easy visas is no guarantee of being allowed into the country any more.

He did not have 20K Baht in cash on him when asked to produce it (see the end of that thread).  He had the proof via online-banking, but they got him on a technicality - you must have the 20K Baht in cash (equivalent in some currency), as I suggested.

51 minutes ago, parafareno said:

this sucks yes, but for majority it works right?  Maybe cambodia is the right answer and <deleted> Thailand

Yes, it would be far easier to stay a year in Vietnam, Cambodia, or The Philippines - in this region.  Many appear to be choosing those options, as evidenced by the many closed businesses around me.  OTOH, tourist visas are free through February, so there's that.

Personally, I only enter via land-borders, just to be on the safe-side.  But do avoid Poipet/Aranyaprathet after your 2nd entry. 

Edited by JackThompson

24 minutes ago, seancbk said:

The Thai consulate in Hong Kong is offering a 3 year Non Immigrant B multi entry visa.

Does anyone know if any other consulates are offering those?

Yes but you would have to be working for a company in the country where the embassy or consulate is located to apply for it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Alternative 1:  There is a new "Multi Entry Tourist Visa" - though it can only be acquired in you country of legal residence, has some requirements to meet, and these requirements vary by the consulate where you get it.   Validity is 6 months, with each entry being 60-days, extend-able in-country for another 30 days.  One can get a total of 9 months out of it, if you receive it just before coming to Thailand, and make your last re-entry just before it expires. 

So just to be clear, I bought this multi entry visa just before I left the UK. So after the first 60 days, can I extend it for another 30 days in Koh Samui, or do I need to go across the border to extend?

Thanks

1 minute ago, monkeymind said:

So just to be clear, I bought this multi entry visa just before I left the UK. So after the first 60 days, can I extend it for another 30 days in Koh Samui, or do I need to go across the border to extend?

Thanks

You could do either.  Until the "enter before" date, any entry into Thailand gets you 60-days permission of stay.  Each entry you make can be extended for 30 days at your local immigration office.  It is up to you if you wish to extend your entries (1900 baht fee per extension) or just hop across the border and back for a new entry.  

Note that leaving and entering just before the "enter before" date still gives you 60 days, which you can extend for 30-days in-country, getting maximum time possible from that visa.

4 minutes ago, monkeymind said:

Thank you for clarifying. Someone else told me I would HAVE to cross the border after the first 60 days, so I'm relieved to hear that I can just extend in Samui.

You are welcome.  Be aware that while extensions are routine, some offices ask for some proof of residency.  Hopefully, someone who has dealt with Samui should pop in and let you know what is needed.  In any case, you can request your extension up to 7 days in advance (this will not shorten your extension date), so you have time to meet any requirements that office might request.

• Like 1