Import Duties on Mailed Goods

junglechef

As the holiday's approach I recall in previous years people mentioning that the post office often tends to charge high fees.

Has anyone had any experience with having things shipped from a Western country to a Thai name instead of a Falang one?

Might the "taxes" be less?

Its a crap shoot you pay what you get caught for.. I post a lot of stuff in thats not available in the local market, my experiences are.. 

When caught its the value of item plus postage which is the baseline for the calculation.

Items under 800b (item value) through postal systems (not couriers) are supposed to be tax free.. Issue being the postal cost often gets added in to put it over.

Items via courier are always taxed, I think the courier company is made responsible for the cost, hence they charge the maximums.

Items via postal systems are more lightly taxed..

Sales tax is 7%.. Luxury goods tax in 30%.. When both applied they are cumulative.. 

Items from China seem to come through tax free more often..  

When caught taxes seem the same for Thai name as western name. 

Best route is to send everything via a postal system, with a 20 usd value.. I think 50 - 70% of mine come through tax free that way if not a huge box.. When it IS a huge box you have a better chance of haggling it to a reasonable value with the customs at airport rather than the courier companies. 

If purchasing something mail order, you can use shipito remailer to under declare customs value and even unpack the items and remove all documents. 

• Like 1

I have had dozens of Books imported always duty free.

A Chain and sprocket set for my Honda Hornet was 52 quid from UK Postage & Packing included, 'Post Office' Wat Phra Sing', charged me same in Baht to import.

I just had some food sent out from UK about 50 quids worth, B800 at 'Wat Phra Sing' Post Office.

john

There are many different Customs Tarriff rates.  They are listed on the Thai Customs web site  http://www.customs.go.th/

VAT  is different than Customs Tarriff.

My experience is that rarely something will go through Thai Post without VAT or Customs.  Extremely rare that something will get through a parcel delivery service.

For myself, I always count on being charged and if something is delivered without being charged, I consider myself lucky.

I receive packages every month and have been living here 10 years. I have paid customs fees/taxes many times and have been to Laem Chabang to open packages for inspection about 8-10 times.

Not once was the assigned duty/tax based on the actual value of the packages received. If anything, I've gotten off lightly so I'm not complaining.

• Like 2

Where receiving goods or sending goods, generally speaking its cheaper by POST

Goods are categorized using the international HS system, which is how customs tax is applied

You may pay taxes on goods, which is  customs duty, freight cost and VAT

When shipping here you could undervalue the goods, but keep it sensible, I think the level that attracts taxes is about BAHT 1500

When you ship by POS, if you have to pay any charges, you pay at the POST OFFICE, its simple

DO NOT USE COURIERS SUCH AS DHL/FEDEX

So idiot supplier shipped some goods to me, I stated CHINA POST, they shipped by FEDEX, extra cost of GBP 80 in customs clearance costs and warehouse storage charges

Under-valuing can help, but it limits the amount for which the package can be insured- if it doesn't get lost (and it usually doesn't, but it can happen) it's no problem, but for something valuable (like, say, a cellphone) you want to be able to insure it for full value- if you write $50 on the customs declaration, you can't make a claim for more if it's lost or stolen, even if it was actually worth $500.

If you go that route, though, remember to remove all price tags, and make sure an invoice for the real amount isn't included in the package.

• Like 1

Yes, Flame is correct

However, you could register / EMS your post in the sending country, which means the parcel is signed for and tracked

Its a judgement call what cost you apply, depending on the goods and purchasing cost

I would also say your bike frame would attract tax, check  out the Thai customs site, look up bikes frames and you see the HS codes and applicable duty

A bike frame is a bike frame, must people would not know the cost, so where you put 100USD or 1000USD, how can you tell

Most people would not know,  your call

We routinely have clothing, personal care products, vitamins and nutritional supplements shipped to us from the U.S. via U.S. Global Priority mail.  We rarely are asked to pay duty by Thai post.  It's essential that the goods are repacked and the value declared to be about $20 with the original documents not included.  Usually, our mail forwarding service is consolidating several mail order shipments into one box for us.

Where I've had a problem is that there are some items that simply can't be shipped by air, like nail lacquer or products in aerosol cans for safety reasons.  (Interesting that these personal care products can be packed in your checked luggage when you fly and no one bats an eye.)  And apparently, U.S. Global Priority mail goes by air and the mail forwarding company doesn't give us a "ground" shipping option for stuff like this.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mekong Bob said:

U.S. Global Priority in Chiang Mai?  Website?  Thanks!

No, the shipments original in the U.S. and the sender uses U.S. Global Priority mail.  Once in Thailand, the shipment is handled by Thai Post.  We've never had a problem, but mail is delivered to our condo and the office does a nice job of security -- signing and keeping a log of incoming packages, putting a notice in the resident's mailbox, storing the package in a secure room and having the resident sign when they come to the office to retrieve the package.  

Previously, we lived in a condo with very loose security for incoming mail and items could be "lost" that way.  Basically, incoming mail, including packages were tossed in a heap on a big table and when the one staff member got around it it, she'd sort it.  Meanwhile anyone who came into the office could paw through the pile of mail look for their stuff or anything else that looked interesting.  

If you think you don't have a good, secure delivery set-up on this end for postal mail, you may want to re-think shipment via the postal system.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody,

Have anyone here an experience importing expensive electronics (computers, tablets, etc) in THailand?

With "expensive" I mean CIF value exceeding THB 60000. With a CIF / listed price of over THB 80000 it is indeed useless to attempt removing a zero from the invoice for a newly packaged item.

Sample items include Macbook Pro, iPad Pro, Wacom Cintiq and many others.

I did my homework, though:

(01) I have checked the dutycalculator.com for my item, it shows that I only have to pay the VAT value (7%) off the listed CIF price. My item cannot be categorized as "portable".

(02) Integrated Tariff Database like everything else in TH does not have a single unambiguous meaning, with the "ceiling rate" of 40% from 01/01/2012 and thereafter.

HS commodity code - 8471.60.90

Tariff Classification    Tariff Statistical Code    Licensor    Permission Goods Type    Validate Indicator    Verification start date    Expire Date
8471.60.90    899    Department of Industrial Works    Import and export    Require a license    01/02/2015    99/99/9999

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/viewerImportTariff.do

84.71 Automatic data processing machines and units thereof; magnetic or optical readers, machines for transcribing data onto data media in coded form and machines for processing such data, not elsewhere specified or included.

8471.60.90 - - Other

999 : The Customs Tariff Decree B.E. 2530 (Ceiling Rate)
Heading    Subheading    Description    Statutory Rate    Notification    Start Date    End Date    Electronic Permit
ad valorem rate %    specific rate
Unit    Baht
84.71    8471.60.90    - - Other    40    -    -    พรก. ฉบับที่ 6 พ.ศ. 2560    01/01/2017    thereafter

HOWEVER, --->

000 : Notification of the Ministry of Finance Section 12 of the Customs Tariff Decree B.E. 2530 (General Rate)

Heading    Subheading    Description    Duty Rate    Notification    Start Date    End Date    Electronic Permit
Unit    Baht
84.71    8471.609000    - - Other    Exempted    ม.12 ฉ.01 (2560)    01/01/2017    thereafter

AND --->

220 :
Heading    Subheading    Description    Duty Rate    Notification    Start Date    End Date    Electronic Permit
Unit    Baht
84.71    8471.609000    - - Other                ม.12 มีเงื่อนไขข้อ 2 (2560)    01/01/2017    thereafter     Click for details
8471.609000    - - Other                    01/01/2017    thereafter     Click for details
8471.609000    - - Other    Exempted        01/01/2017    thereafter     Click for details

(03)

http://www.pwc.com/th/en/publications/assets/thai-tax-2015-booklet-en.pdf

PWC whitepaper is vague, as usual.

(04) By the way, it is good to know that as prescribed in the NCPO's Order No 65/2559 issued on 01 November 2016, VAT will raise from 7% to 10% on 01 Oct 2017 onward.

SRC:

https://www.pwc.com/th/en/pwc-tax-newsletter/2016/2016-tax-newsletter-03.pdf (page 4/8)

https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/th/Documents/tax/th-tax-newsletter-en-201216.pdf (page 01 / 03)

http://www.mazars.co.th/Home/Doing-Business-in-Thailand/Tax

(05) I tried to contact Thai Customs myself over the phone/contact form with no result:

http://en.customs.go.th/content_special.php?link=contact_form.php&lang=en&top_menu=menu_contactus

I understand that there is only one person who should prove that the item is exempted from import duty AFTER it would have been imported, and this person happens to be me.

Therefore, I am looking for and would be thankful to receive an opinion from your personal experience, or a contact of a tax attorney and/or any other tax adviser/advisor in Chiang Mai, another province(s) and/or Bangkok, if possible.

PM are welcome.

That would have been really helpful, as my shipping partners in the US warned me in a panicking manner that my import tax costs could be "catastrophic", without referring to any particular showcases, though.

Considering the weight of the item and its shipping costs, it would really be somewhat unpleasant being obliged to pay anything over the already unappealing 7% VAT (well, in Germany it is even worse, so everything is comparative, isn't it?).

It is really important to know how does it work in practice.

Thank you very much in advance for paying attention and taking action, if applicable, and Happy New Year!

With best regards from a cloudy but cheerful Chiang Mai,

Alx.

Edited by THAlx

Duties are payable on, cost of

GOODS - Whatever the HS code reads

PACKING AND SHIPPING - actual costs

VAT - 7%

Always better to post, if its expensive register,  using a courier involves more costs, such as brokers costs, plus storage etc., etc.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HullyGully said:

A suggest try calling Customs in BBK / CNX and ask the cost of importing a computer with a CIF value of Baht 80,000. or call a customs broker and ask the same question

Thanks for your time to post this.

(05) Already tried to contact BKK / Bangkok Thai Customs with no results.

http://en.customs.go.th/content_special.php?link=contact_form.php&lang=en&top_menu=menu_contactus

Customs Care Center at Tel. 1164 
Thai Customs Department, 1, Suntorn Kosa Road, Klong Toey, Bangkok, 10110 Tel. +66-2667-6000, +66-2667-7000

EDIT: +66-2667-6000, +66-2667-7000 - no English

1164 - out of working hours, but these hours are not published anywhere, neither pronounced by the system. Would try again tomorrow.

Do you know contact details / website of the Thai Customs in CNX / Chiang Mai, by any chance?

12 minutes ago, HullyGully said:

Duties are payable on, cost of

GOODS - Whatever the HS code reads

PACKING AND SHIPPING - actual costs

VAT - 7%

Always better to post, if its expensive register,  using a courier involves more costs, such as brokers costs, plus storage etc., etc.

"Whatever the HS code reads" - I suppose it would be better to put it this way: "Whatever the HS code reads by a Thai Customs officer".

There are 18 variations of how it reads in their system, varying from 40%,20% to "Exempted", with conflicting values for WTO origins (exempted or 20%).

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

heading 84.71

subheading 8471.609000

Possibly, someone already had an actual experience of importing valued items like this one. That is why I am here to seek an advice.

Thank you very much for paying attention.

Edited by THAlx

The worldwide customs system = HS and therefore if you were unhappy with the import tariff's, its easier to question the HS code used

Try calling a customs agent in BKK or ask DHL/TNT the approx. cost from where you bought the goods to your home

They should be able to give you a cost

Email a couple of them

The worldwide customs system = HS and therefore if you were unhappy with the import tariff's, its easier to question the HS code used

Try calling a customs agent in BKK or ask DHL/TNT the approx. cost from where you bought the goods to your home

They should be able to give you a cost

Email a couple of them

Well I am just not comfortable with the unambiguous "Tariff Database". It has conflicting values for any and every HS code that I have checked (a few, all computer-related).

Some people on this forum and in this thread already recommended to stick with the post rather than with couriers such as DHL/FedEx. That is why I was initially planning to use EMS Express.

My plan B was to send this item to HK and fly there and back to pick it up myself (HKExpress). It would be less expensive than paying for EMS Express delivery with Global Green insurance and for the VAT (7%). The issue is that it might be a bit difficult for me to carry a 33.3lb 9" X 24.5" X 35.5" box all the way back and forth.

Thanks for your advice, I would try contacting DHL, TNT, UPS and FedEx, just in case.

It 'should' be 7% on the CIF.. 

I have randomly had them add a 30% to the 7% and call it a luxury goods tax.. Sure its not listed specifically but its a catch all term they can apply to anything they deem.. 

It was a long argument.. Now I run everything through shipito and lie on the value declaration, if they want to play dirty ok then..

24 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

It 'should' be 7% on the CIF.. 

I have randomly had them add a 30% to the 7% and call it a luxury goods tax.. Sure its not listed specifically but its a catch all term they can apply to anything they deem.. 

It was a long argument.. Now I run everything through shipito and lie on the value declaration, if they want to play dirty ok then..

Hey thanks for joining this hot topic.

I totally agree with you on that one - "they can apply to anything they deem", have already had multiple experiences on other "lines of business" here in TH with just the same outcome up to the lawyers stage.

Basically I am using a service like shipito, and they are holding my shipment until we get clarity with the import duty tax, which we collectively cannot find a "reliable" information on.

The "Integrated Tariff Database" makes no sense. It is a great attempt to copy some of the successful economies in that "department", however just as you have mentioned, it will go the "Thai way".

So, here comes the question:

"lie on the value declaration, if they want to play dirty ok then.."

That would be my "first time" in doing that, so I just remove the invoice, come to their office and say/ fill in a form that it is refurbished/used model which costs USD 800 purchased on eBay or something? And then have a lawyer to prove that in court? Well, technically that could be possible to some extent. But I would not trust any local "lawyer".

Just wondering how it works. Yeap, that is something.

Edited by THAlx

In CNX you tend to get stopped by customs / or scan required

I find BKK easier

Just a consideration

You could do a deal with a friend etc. and have them hand carry your computer, pay a percentage of their ticket

I would have the invoice removed from the package and declare it at 200 and used / refurb.. Even if they do 'up' the value.. They only up it a bit.. 

I really have no moral issue or sympathy, the Thai customs have been so harsh over the years they deserve harsh back. 

HullyGully, LivinLOS - thank you very much for your thoughts, suggestions and ideas! I would definitely take these into consideration.

As to BKK - I would rather add that BKK in Bangkok only (Suvarnabhumi), because DMK (Don Mueang) - the only airport in the world, where I was stopped on the xray AFTER landing (no questions asked on xray even before registration) and asked to open my Pelican case with a 24" monitor to show that it was not new, that I am not going to any exhibitions and other bs... And then took about 50+ minutes to wait for a manager/supervisor and very politely explain that this is for my personal use, and I may have even new monitor if I want to, and I am eligible to carry my personal equipment in any case I want, may visit any exhibition I want, that this does not go against ANY law in TH or internationally and so on and so forth. What do you do? Best answer - I'm a pro gamer! That was somewhat exceptionally ridiculous, especially arriving from SIN (Changi) / Singapore with a business/presentable look. "Once in a lifetime experience", as they say.

Well, we all have our own reasons, why we take all the risks and attitude and keep coming back again and again here... For me, these are the mountains, "low" (comparably) prices, HQ living and... fast internet.

OK, back on topic. I am going to consult with my pillow, overnight with all the thoughts, ideas and suggestions and have the "final" council with the Sunrise...

Thanks again everybody for bearing with me.

Wish you all best of luck, every success, Happy and prosperous New Year!

With best regards from "cold" winter evening in Chiang Mai,

Alx.

JFYI for those, who might be interested to do it all "the right way", notwithstanding the foregoing.

Here is what I have received from the Thai Customs "Call Center".

They provide prompt replies and the below information actually gives hope that it could be done alright / provide self-insurance for a 100% outcome "as it should be", when done step by step correctly.

And yes, every such "step" means paying time and money, obviously.

According to your enquiry, we regret to infrom you that we do not have the authorization to confirm the accurate tariff code.
Because in part of Customs Call Center is only designated as contact point for inform basic information.

When you have seen on website but not sure you can make an application for an advance tariff ruling (the form as Notification of the Customs Department No.39/2558 (Thai language), 
then submit the document together with details of product to the Customs Officer at Customs Tariff Bureau, Sunthornkosa Road, Klong Toey, Bangkok or port of entry consider the tariff number for you. (Customs fee 2,000 bahts/an requirement) 

In addition, you can see and study about the regulation for advance tariff ruling at http://en.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?lang=en&top_menu=¤t_id=172

• 1 year later...

Please be very cautious about shipping purchased goods from the US to Thailand. I just purchased clothing valued at $89 which shipped free from the clothing company via FedEx and paid $40.68 in fees on delivery, including forced insurance (1%), freight (15%, FedEx claimed it is charged by the government, not by them), customs duty (30%) and VAT (7%), a total of 46%. Fedex told me that they had already paid the fee to the government so refusing the delivery would cause a reduction of my refund credit by that amount from the clothier, as FedEx would charge them instead. 

I've read that this can be avoided by using other carriers such as local post but I don't know how you can arrange that internationally. It may also be possible to avoid the exorbitant fees by having someone in the states receive your package and then ship to you in Thailand as used personal goods. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2018 at 5:13 PM, MarlaLorraine said:

Please be very cautious about shipping purchased goods from the US to Thailand. I just purchased clothing valued at $89 which shipped free from the clothing company via FedEx and paid $40.68 in fees on delivery, including forced insurance (1%), freight (15%, FedEx claimed it is charged by the government, not by them), customs duty (30%) and VAT (7%), a total of 46%. Fedex told me that they had already paid the fee to the government so refusing the delivery would cause a reduction of my refund credit by that amount from the clothier, as FedEx would charge them instead. 

I've read that this can be avoided by using other carriers such as local post but I don't know how you can arrange that internationally. It may also be possible to avoid the exorbitant fees by having someone in the states receive your package and then ship to you in Thailand as used personal goods. 

It’s been well documented that you will get pumped if you use Fedex for sending stuff to Thailand.

• Like 2

Remember the golden rule in Thailand. If your parcel gets into the hands of a dishonest or incompetent jerk in customs, he will make up his own rules and you will enter a never ending drama of irrealistic customs duty fares with the "special farang rate". 

A law/tarification can be clearly written in a decree,  but it can be totally different and re interpreted by any official looking to hassle.

• Like 1