Flash floods wreak havoc in southern provinces

webfact

Flash floods wreak havoc in southern provinces

IMG_7449.jpg

PHATTALUNG: -- Two villagers were believed to be drowned after they were swept away by strong currents from flash flood as they separately went fishing in Phatthalung province.

The first victim was a 47-year male went fishing in a stream in Tambon Nanod in Muang district and the second, a 67-year old woman, was reported to have gone missing as she went fishing in Khao Chaison district. The identities of both victims were not known at press time.

Meanwhile, it was reported that flash flood started to hit the municipal area of Muang district at about 3 am on Sunday and, hours later, put the whole area under water measured at between 30-50 centimetres.

Municipal workers tried desperately to drain water out of the township, but it appeared that the effort was futile as more rains kept lashing.

Officials of the district hospital have sought help from the municipal administration as flash flood inundated its compound. However, the hospital still remains operational as normal.

In Nakhon Si Thammarat, the provincial administration was in the process of declaring seven of the nine districts struck by flash flood since Saturday disaster zones. Three people were reported to have died from flood-related
incidents.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/flash-floods-wreck-havoc-in-southern-provinces/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-05

11 dead as floods cause havoc in South
By THE NATION

b523eced125fc0637f2db239d335ed66-sld.jpe

More than 150,000 families affected in 10 provinces.

ELEVEN people drowned, two others were injured and two people are missing due to flooding in the South over the past four days, Chatchai Promlert, director-general of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said yesterday.

He said the floods affected 157,580 families in 68 districts in the 10 southern provinces of Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Krabi, Trang, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Yala, Pattani, and Narathiwat.

Chatchai said two had died in Surat Thani, three in Nakhon Si Thammarat, two in Songkhla, two in Phatthalung, and two in Pattani.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30301440

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-05

What's that comment supposed to mean.

It's a spelling mistake by the OP. Wreck not Wreak. I admit I had to google it to check. I suppose being an English language forum that the English part should be written correctly.
On topic, It's monsoon season down south. Wouldn't like to be travelling on a boat to Koh Samui. Sick bags at the ready!

I live in the endangered region. It is not comfortable, but most of the Thais and the farangs can handle the crisis. There some who cannot sleep without challenging the nature.  R.I.P.

The rest, we put a net or an aquarium in front of the TV and we will have fish for dinner ......

I made a post about this previously. The water on My Tgf mother street is now around 4 feet deep in Nakhon. Her mother and relatives are moving to the school which is on higher ground. When I was there last year they showed me the water marks on the wall..at least 5 feet. This nothing new to them. Seems to happen Alot. 

I sure couldn't put up with that and would move Pronto. 

The tragic part of all this is also the apparent inability of people to protect themselves from such flooding events which are a fairly regular occurence in Thailand during the monsoon period.

I recall vividly, when I first visited Thailand 54 years ago at the age of 20, I rented a cheap dwelling of the sort inhabited by the local poor people. Access was along an elevated, wooden walkway. It was quite an adventure accessing my rented dwelling during the worst part of the monsoon. Even the elevated walkway was flooded, but fortunately not my dwelling. But I was there for only one season.

its hard to drain any flood water when the people fill in the drains so they have more land to work with or simply block them, floods here along a main section of road are due to the businesses back filling the drain with no cement pipes under the dirt as it saves them money. There is a 200 meter section that is under water while either side of it where the drains are in place there is no flood water at all, you cant help stupid, they are more concerned with saving a few baht rather than causing flooding. If they policed what the people do a lot of these problems would not exist.

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I am glad that I have not gotten over to Thailand  yet, and I hope that

the weather is more normal for the Winter months after January

Good Luck to those who are already vacationing there now.

Geezer

This is normal in the far south of the country where the monsoon with storms and heavy rains lasts well into December. In most other parts of Thailand Winter has arrived and dry season can already be enjoyed.

Flash Floods Kill 11 In South, Heavy Rain To Continue

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter -

vlcsnap-error375-768x432.png

Koh Samui in Surat Thani province flooded on Saturday.

BANGKOK — Flash floods in the south of Thailand have killed 11 people in recent days, disaster officials said, with rain continuing to fall Monday.

Since Thursday, flood-related fatalities have hit Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Songkhla, Phatthalung and Pattani provinces, with two people currently missing in Surat Thani.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2016/12/05/flash-floods-kill-11-south-heavy-rain-continue/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-12-05

How did these people die?

Pulled into the sewer by the water, hit by a car that drove too fast, , drive into a pothole and crashing, electrocuted in their own house when it flooded, fallen into a big hole and not being able to swim?

If we know how they died we know what to look out for.

11 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

It's a spelling mistake by the OP. Wreck not Wreak. I admit I had to google it to check. I suppose being an English language forum that the English part should be written correctly.
On topic, It's monsoon season down south. Wouldn't like to be travelling on a boat to Koh Samui. Sick bags at the ready!

It is not a spelling mistake :- Verb[edit]. to wreak havoc. (idiomatic) To cause damage, disruption, or destruction. The storm wreaked havoc on his garden. ... Beware misspelling wreck havoc. Both words come from the same root but in this context WREAK is correct so the English part is correct

13 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

The tragic part of all this is also the apparent inability of people to protect themselves from such flooding events which are a fairly regular occurence in Thailand during the monsoon period.

I recall vividly, when I first visited Thailand 54 years ago at the age of 20, I rented a cheap dwelling of the sort inhabited by the local poor people. Access was along an elevated, wooden walkway. It was quite an adventure accessing my rented dwelling during the worst part of the monsoon. Even the elevated walkway was flooded, but fortunately not my dwelling. But I was there for only one season.

yes  youd  think theyd  raise their  houses up  over  the  years,  still  lest  we  forget  the "clothing" they  require up  north..............every  year