Does Your Thai Wife Unplug The Microwave Oven?

corkscrew

Yes, they believe the little ON lamp is a heavy energy consumer. :o

My Thai wife's first reply was that it was too save electricity. Then, when I said it doesn't use electricity when it's not on, she replied that Thai people are afraid that heavy electrical appliances have caused many fires in wooden houses and they are just afraid and sleep better with the plug out.

My Thai wife's first reply was that it was too save electricity. Then, when I said it doesn't use electricity when it's not on, she replied that Thai people are afraid that heavy electrical appliances have caused many fires in wooden houses and they are just afraid and sleep better with the plug out.

Most household fires in the west are caused by household appliances; fridges, freezers, dishwashers, washing machines, TVs, microwaves and coffee brewers so it would make sense if they are behind a lot of fires here too. Especially with the screwed up wiring, humid climate etc.

http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d001001-d0011...53/d001053.html

Edited by lingling

Power surges are also more common in thailand than in the west and a lot of houses are made of wood so it is a sensible precaution. My husband used to go around our old wood house in samui checking all plugs were unplugged & appliances off before we went out. Drives me mad but I know why he does it.

Regarding the cost of standby power, there are adverts here in the UK telling consumers that leaving 1 television on standby for a year costs approx 40 pounds a year. We have 3 tv's in our house so thats 120 pounds a year. A lot of money for something that isn't being used!!!

And we have to turn off the extension cords at night, or as my partner says, "Close the light." Another advantage: you're not likely to be running two high-wattage appliances at the same time, like a toaster and a microwave. He grew up in a bamboo house, and the dry seasons here last for six months.

And they are quite right. Manufacturers are now being persuaded to get rid of the "Stand By" modes on TV's, DVD players etc.

different with microwaves - when they are not working it's only a control lamp and not a standby mode.

It's only some electrical stuff can cause a fire - those which make a lot of heat: heaters, hair dryers, toasters, cookers, irons etc but not the other ones. In the west it's probably cigarettes which cause the most of the household fires - and not fridges, freezers, dishwashers, washing machines, TVs. I have never heard about fires caused by them.

As to power surges they might happen - they can damage your computer but not any other home electrical equipment.

I would imagine that in thailand the main problem are faulty electrical installations - wrong cables, faulty wiring and wrong fuses.

It's only some electrical stuff can cause a fire - those which make a lot of heat: heaters, hair dryers, toasters, cookers, irons etc but not the other ones. In the west it's probably cigarettes which cause the most of the household fires - and not fridges, freezers, dishwashers, washing machines, TVs. I have never heard about fires caused by them.

"Two-thirds of all electrical fires begin in plugs or cords on fixed appliances such as refrigerators, air conditioners or lamps. Frayed cords expose electrical wires that spark on contact with each other or anything that can ground the electrical current."

Source: the CDC link I posted above.

As to power surges they might happen - they can damage your computer but not any other home electrical equipment.

Microwaves, TVs - most household devices nowadays has enough electronics in them to get fried in the same way as computers.

YES, my wife always unplugs the microwave. It doesn't have a clock or a light BUT it always get unplugged. I have long ago given up asking questions. I only yell at her when she unplugs my computer UPS. It was a struggle to get her to leave the UPS plugged in.

Always nice to know that you are not suffering these things alone - yes the microwave (and everything else) gets at least turned off at the wall switch if not unplugged.

It takes me an average of two to three guesses to find the correct plug for whatever I want to use - toaster, mircowave, electric kettle etc - the kitchen light has probably been turned off by the time I get back from the bathroom anyway - it is her and the way she grew up - you tear your hair out whilst hoping she never changes - mai bpen lai. :o

My wife unplugged the battery recharger for my pacemaker. I'm starting to wonder about her intentions

:o:D:D

I unplug the microwave after I use it & I'm farang! I live in a house with s**t wiring, though. Electric shocks all over & fuses blowing if you use 2 appliances at once! :D

I have also seen all the elders here walking araound and unpluggiong everything when they leave home.

Why haven't the thai invented TWO main power switches for every house. One for the fridge and the other one for everything else.

So everytime they leave home they just shut off Switch 1 for everything but the fridge.

I know a lot of people, even in the U.S., who say you should turn off your air-conditioning before turning off the car. Not sure why.

However, I've seen in energy saving pamphlets that appliances do use a small amount of electricity if they are plugged in. So, nothing wrong or stupid with unplugging the microwave after using it.

In the car or truck, my wife insists on turning off the aircon, radio and headlights before swtiching off the ignition

Must be related to that Thai thing with using the headlights as late as possible after sunset. :o

Yes, my wife does the same thing with the car's AC, radio and lights.

Its their upbringing, waste not, want not, you cant blame them when every penny is important.

How would they feel if they had the same salary in LOS in the West/Aussie on seeing how many houses are lit up with Xmas lights etc for 2/3 weeks, which probably is a years electric bill to them. Just a thought. :o

Edited by taxi40

My family member will have a main switch, a power strip, turn off the main switch, unplug the power switch, and unplug all devices connected to the power strip.

Bothers me to no end..... but hey it is Thailand.

We have yard lights, around 7 fish tanks, and a yard pond with 2 circulation pumps on it. I hate to think of the electricity used for that. I could probably use the AC all day for the same amount of energy.