High-surf, storm warnings issued for Phuket

webfact

High-surf, storm warnings issued for Phuket

Phuket Gazette 

pkt1.jpeg          

Starting Wednesday, an unusually powerful and extra-seasonal storm is predicted to affect Phuket and expected to continue over the next seven to 10 days. Photo: Steve

PHUKET: -- A high-surf warning has been issued for Phuket beaches, particularly the West Coast ones, by the Surin-Bangtao Surf Lifesaving Club this morning.

Starting Wednesday, an unusually powerful and extra-seasonal storm is predicted to affect Phuket and to continue over the next seven to ten days, the "Club" announced today.

The beaches named in the advisory are Nai Harn, Kata Noi, Kata, Karon, Patong, Kamala, Laem Sing, Surin, Bang Tao, Mai Khao, Nai Thon and Nai Yang, as well as the Sarasin Reef/Bar.

“A low pressure cyclone is predicted to form in the Bay of Bengal – to the northwest of Phuket – within the next 48 to 72 hours. For the next seven to ten days, wave heights at the above beaches could rise to 1.2 meters, with wave faces up to 2.5 meters and more,” Daren Jenner of the Club told the Phuket Gazette.

The warning also urges beachgoers to listen to lifeguards and obey all warning signs and instructions, adding that inexperienced swimmers will face an increased risk of drowning at the above locations. 

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Highsurf-storm-warnings-issued-Phuket/65953?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-12-05

May I know what problem you have with the 'forecast' stevenl? (It's actually an advisory - not the same as a forecast). Please lend us your expertise on the subject.

Daren Jenner
Ocean Lifeguard/Ocean Safety Consultant

You call it an advisory, the op calls it a prediction, so a forecast seems correct.

I don't like incorrect forecasts, and with tmd forecasting bad weather and windguru much better weather I go with the organisation that is mostly correct, so windguru.

What is the basis for your advisory?

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

10 minutes ago, the guest said:

Spoke to a friend who is currently in Phuket, and he says no storms, bit of rain but nothing to right home about.

Seems the weather forecast was misleading.

There is a tropical cyclone forming close to the Andaman Islands but it is expected to track north west.

Could well send a decent swell to Phuket,  get the board waxed.

42 minutes ago, the guest said:

Spoke to a friend who is currently in Phuket, and he says no storms, bit of rain but nothing to right home about.

Seems the weather forecast was misleading.

I agree, no storm, now no rain, even the wind is light. Sea is moderate swell.

On 12/5/2016 at 4:17 PM, atyclb said:

overhead with crap strong wind is just for exercise value

I'll take it!

Lets face it, this isnt the north shore or malibu, Its thailand.

Anything above ankle slappers and i'm going out! :D

A post discussing moderation has been removed:

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

10 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

A big storm is forming south of Cambodia, may affect us here in a few days.

At this time of the year (Dec-Feb), storms are frequent in the south china sea affecting provinces in the deep south of Thailand and the east coast of peninsular Malaysia.  They very seldom cross over to the Andaman sea to Phuket.  Last week's storm warning was for a weather system in the Bay of Bengal moving away from Phuket.

20 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

At this time of the year (Dec-Feb), storms are frequent in the south china sea affecting provinces in the deep south of Thailand and the east coast of peninsular Malaysia.  They very seldom cross over to the Andaman sea to Phuket.  Last week's storm warning was for a weather system in the Bay of Bengal moving away from Phuket.

Last weeks storm warning was for a very heavy mass of storm clouds creating floods in Samui and Surit Thani, among others, in the Gulf. It was expected to have an impact on Phuket, but passed south of the Island and formed into a tropical cyclone near the Andaman Islands. It's now somewhere over India.

It was proof that storms do cross over to the Andaman. It is the reason I suggested this new trough may  also affect us here.

Here's a depiction of the storm I mentioned:

7878.PNG

40 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Last weeks storm warning was for a very heavy mass of storm clouds creating floods in Samui and Surit Thani, among others, in the Gulf. It was expected to have an impact on Phuket, but passed south of the Island and formed into a tropical cyclone near the Andaman Islands. It's now somewhere over India.

It was proof that storms do cross over to the Andaman. It is the reason I suggested this new trough may  also affect us here.

Here's a depiction of the storm I mentioned:

7878.PNG

Weather forecasting is not an exact science.  I have my reservation and said "...they very seldom cross over..." and you cautiously said "...new trough may also affect..."  Lets wait and see how it turns out over the next couple of days.