recommended family law lawyer

Awk

Hello, I have searched through the forum, but are left with still looking for advice on a good family lawyer.

Some people have recommend a particular lawyer at 29Tanin.  I have met her a couple of times, and are now looking for another lawyer.

I am thankful for any recommendations.

The nearest i got to finding a good recommended English speaking family lawyer in Chiang Mai was a Thewin Ketwong but sadly he is in hospital very ill. Now this does not help your cause in anyway and obviously is of no use to you at all but what it does say is that you are not on your own looking for a lawyer so if i do happen to fall on one i will certainly take the time to let you know and i am rather hoping you will consider doing the same for me please.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2016 at 1:59 PM, michemit said:

The nearest i got to finding a good recommended English speaking family lawyer in Chiang Mai was a Thewin Ketwong but sadly he is in hospital very ill. Now this does not help your cause in anyway and obviously is of no use to you at all but what it does say is that you are not on your own looking for a lawyer so if i do happen to fall on one i will certainly take the time to let you know and i am rather hoping you will consider doing the same for me please.

Thank you, I will do that.  I have met two lawyers, both mentioned and recommended here, but neither inspired confidence.

One, having his office in a moo baan named after a city in California, seemed competent, though very money hungry and required a substantial fee just for the initial meeting.  Unfortunately I believe he answered me wrongly on what I thought was a pretty simple question.  His answer surprised me enough for me to ask the same question two-three times, to make sure we understood each other.  A friend later confirmed with a judge that his answer was nonsense.

Another, a younger woman having studied in Australia, I feel doubtful about, though she did answer that same question correctly.  I might still go with her and her "team" if no other option, but am still looking. 

Suggestions for a decent lawyer are welcome.

You could start working your way through this list complied by the U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai.  They have developed this list based on recommendations from U.S. citizen's positive experience:

https://th.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulate/chiang-mai/u-s-citizenship-services/professional-services-cm/legal-service-providers-chiang-mai/

Have you considered that the "question" you have may not have an answer you like?  Also, it's common that lawyers here want some money up-front to take on a case.

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

You could start working your way through this list complied by the U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai.  They have developed this list based on recommendations from U.S. citizen's positive experience:

https://th.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulate/chiang-mai/u-s-citizenship-services/professional-services-cm/legal-service-providers-chiang-mai/

Thanks for the tip.  I had no idea it was based on recommendations from people and thought it was just a list of whatever lawyer or wannabe-lawyer contacted the consulate and asked to be added to the list.

3 hours ago, Awk said:

Thanks for the tip.  I had no idea it was based on recommendations from people and thought it was just a list of whatever lawyer or wannabe-lawyer contacted the consulate and asked to be added to the list.

You're kidding, aren't you?  Give the Consulate some credit.  Periodically, they ask U.S. citizens active in the community for input on this list and other lists of recommended service providers (like hospitals) when they do updates.  Most other government's consulates don't even go so far as to publicize a recommended list.  The U.S. Consulate would like to know if anyone has an unfavorable experience with any of the providers on the list.  Not just a "bad impression" based on an initial meeting, as you have had Awk, but a genuine bad experience.  A few bad experiences and someone is taken off the list.  (or one really serious one)

you may as well ask trump 

have to pay a kickback to someone

us consular/?

my wife for years worked in translation and with lawyers here

if you have plenty of money get one of the expat  recommended lawyers 

you can get top lawyers at court house half price  

Yeah, but if you're calling from the States, don't follow their dialing instructions:

Note: All of the telephone numbers listed below are formatted for calling from within Thailand. If you are calling from outside Thailand, you should dial the appropriate international access code, add Thailand’s country code (66), and drop the initial “0.” For example, to call 053-999-999 from the United States, you would dial 001-66-53-999-999.

Er, that should be:  011, not 001

But, I certainly wouldn't let a typo subtract from their well-appreciated efforts.

amexpat i like someone knows more than me

i thought consular s and embassy's  never inter-fear in other country's

private matters   do they have a list of shops

to buy beer and hamburgers 

maybe have a list of best massage too  

or is it only for cm expat club  tribe

Archived