Thai youth born in Japan set to be deported because Thai mum worked illegally

webfact

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

If only the usa would get rid of the anchor babies. 

Actually according to Constutional Law, there is no such think as Anchor Babies, that is a fabrication, but not properly enforced. The Nationally of the father controls, if properly contested. So, Obama is not a citizen either, or a couple of more politicians in  Congress.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a sad story but it is the law in many other countries as well. At least he has a mother in Thai and a place to go to until he can straighten this out and enter Japan Legally.

It would be worst to be sent to a country you have never been to and don't know a single person there. Unless of course the wealthy ones in which he would get immediate financial assistance and learn to live on welfare. 

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

Nothing racist about this, illegal is illegal period...There's no messing with the Japanese.

But as usual in capitalist societies, the worker gets punished severely, and the employer?  Not a word, not a slap on the wrist.  Just profit and exploit.  The route to curbing illegal immigration is to punish employers who have a stake in the country, not migrant workers trying to scrape by.  

Not a whole lot of compassion around here, but that's just par for this course, I know. Look, laws should always be applied with some discretion because there is no way that law and policy can be written to account for all eventualities. This is not an 'anchor baby' case because it seems that the mother did not use the child to claim residence/citizenship in Japan; the mother lives in Thailand and the youth, living in Japan, has apparently been separated from her for some time. Remember that he has spent his whole life in Japan and he is now in his teens; he is culturally Japanese (and may even be indistinguishable from any Japanese you pass on the street in Tokyo). He is not responsible for this situation--he has done nothing wrong himself--so we must ask ourselves whether this punishment (i.e., exile, banishment) is really fair under these particular circumstances. Does it make sense to tear someone away from everything they know---the culture, the friends, etc.---for a crime committed by someone else?

The Korean-born adopted adult is a slightly different matter..

As I see it, the driver to his deportation was his combined adult criminal history.. that is what, IMHO, dove his removal proceedings.... not his non-citizen status.

As I understood his case, absent his criminal actions, he would not be facing removal proceedings....

The Japanese-born Thai person in this article does not appear (from what's written) to have a criminal issue that then drives, in part, his immigration status.

His issue is largely external in that his parent(s) actions are the genesis to his removal action.

The two as I see it, are materially different

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

There were indeed differing legal arguments but in both cases an adult is deported from a country they have resided in the majority of their lives to a country where they neither speak the language nor are familiar with the culture and where, at best, they might learn to speak the local language with a heavy accent. Banishment from society, which is what these deportations amount to, is a heavy penalty that does not fit the crimes. The fact that various laws allow such punishments in multiple "advanced" societies remains, in my mind's eye, to be shocking and deplorable.

1 hour ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Poor Yankee99 ...Living in a foreign country and hating foreigners living in his own country. Pathetic. 

Maybe he came to Thailand to get away from the people that are destroying the nature of the USA...that played a part in my willingness to come here...I saw the demographic changes, and simply didn't want to witness the erosion of the USA...it's pretty reasonable, actually.  The USA caters to any group other than White males...and after a while, leaving a country that you once loved becomes a quite viable option.

2 hours ago, new2here said:

I agree. So long as the case was handled in accordance with current Japanese law and relevant case law, then I support the decision.

I do have empathy for him, largely because his "issue" was largely not of his own doing or really controllable by him either.

So, to that extent I have empathy... however, regardless of how Thailand handles theses issues, so long as the law was followed, then I support the outcome.

Additionally, I think the notion of being born in a country where you are the child of two (or even one) non-citizens, and then being entitled to citizenship in that foreign country, it is understandable to me that the government would want to have controls/regulations in place to insure only those who are properly/legally in country at the time of birth, can then be entitled to citizenship of that foreign based on that birth from one/two non-citizens.

tell that to the USA!

3 hours ago, jaltsc said:

“…must be deported because his...mother was an illegal immigrant working without a permit…”

This should be understandable to Thais. 

not necessarily. if thais think dual pricing is fair then i think many of them would probably also think foreigners can not take thai jobs but thais can go take their jobs. is along the lines of foreigners can not come buy our land but we can go buy their land. is a different type of thinking.

Ireland allowed women, mainly from Africa, to literally go from airport to the maternity hospital. The born child was a commodity , a lever to stay in Ireland and get an Irish/EC passport....one of the most valuable in the world. Don't ask me how they got on the plane....maybe those huge robes they wear? Or how they had to land in another country first (no direct flights from Africa to Ireland)and so should have made their claim there.

The children have an automatic right to citizenship but not the parents after a referendum a few years back.

Then when it comes time to deport the parents/mother there is bloody war.

We are so, so darn  weak in the west and this is destroying what is left of our culture. 

Japan and to a point Thailand are right. You know the law so obey it.

They have the balls to implement it and not do the leftie liberal thing and allow all to remain.

Edited by harleyclarkey

2 hours ago, wvavin said:

Japan is not wrong. Make no mistake over this. If they allow the child to take up citizenship then there would be chaos in their imigration process. Unlike Thailand where money can buy your way through but not in Japan! 

Indeed, Japan is not wrong here, but this story might as well have happened in Thailand, here you are out also.  Money can not buy your way through immigration  here either.

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Nothing racist about this, illegal is illegal period...There's no messing with the Japanese.

I do not agree with this, but Japan has got one of the very major things right, and I think we all know what that is. If

certain other countries did this, it could mean the end of terrorism.

2 hours ago, Johpa said:

US immigration law has made very similar rulings against Khmer kids who were born in the US but whose parents had failed to obtain citizenship. The kids, who only spoke English, and who were now adults, were deported to Cambodia where they live as outcasts. And just a few months ago an adopted Korean man whose adoptive parents failed to get him citizenship was deported back to Korea where of course he understands neither the language nor the culture.

And although the Japanese may not be racist in the sense of some Trump supporters, they certainly have some idiosyncratic ideas about their superiority and uniqueness. I remember when the Hawaiian Akebono became a sumo Yokozuna (master) and the more conservative Japanese argued to end sumo altogether.

You do not need to be born of parents who are citizens to be a US national, and I think it is extremely  rare to be deported if a child were born there to illegal parents. The big exception to this is criminals….if you commit a felony then after completing your sentence you are liable for deportation if you are not a citizen. In my humble opinion, US laws on immigration are about as good as they get, humane and rationale but they need better enforcement.

3 hours ago, yankee99 said:

If only the usa would get rid of the anchor babies. 

Are you referring to the pool cleaners, gardeners and maids doing the jobs American's do not want. Watch the movie "A Day Without A Mexican" There should be a crackdown on rich pregnant Chinese that come to the US solely for the purpose of having their baby there and getting a passport. 

Well,

looking at the demographics in Japan their decision is stupid. Either the Japanes change their laws about immigration, their racist thinking and behaviour

or the Japanese people will be a dying breed. In 2015 Japan had almost 130 Million people. Japan's population will keep declining by about one million people every year in the coming decades, which will leave Japan with a population of 42 million in 2110 . The problem of overaging will be dramatic. Average life expectancy is already now over 80 years.

On the other hand I believe Thailand should be glad to welcome back a - I believe- a well educated member in the Thai Society.

Bad for Japan - Good for Thailand.

2 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Poor Yankee99 ...Living in a foreign country and hating foreigners living in his own country. Pathetic. 

I think it would depend on who these foreigners are, remember that too many of these foreigners particularly in the UK, is part of the reason many from there, now live in Thailand and other countries.

9 minutes ago, bitcoinforever said:

no sympathy here, send him back. Thai's treat foreigners the same way live by the sword die by the sword. how many Japanese here that are married and still no thai passports. maybe with all the pain people will learn to live together peacefully

Thats the problem. If a Japanese does wrong or looses face its fall on the sword time. Thus the population is self depleting. 

3 hours ago, Emster23 said:

And who is the father? Is he Japanese? If mom was being "comfort" woman, probably not know who father was, but with DNA and all, could possibly push that issue. Loss of face for biological father if Japanese would be immense, I would imagine....

Original story says clearly his father is Thai.