american passport

USA! USA! USA! USA!  

US residents are pretty "America" centric (and stupid, since "America" is usually meant to comprise both the great north, north, central, and south America land masses. Pet Peave, sorry.

Anyway, the United States comprise a large land mass with a diverse geographical features and climate, and its residents can travel or move freely among its state and territorial borders, so have little need or desire to travel to other countries.

Personally, I'm grateful that the vast majority of 'Americans' aren't travelling this planet.

28 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

131 million U.S. residents passport holders — about 42 percent

The Great American Passport Myth: Why Just 3.5% Of Us Travel Overseas!
 Huffington Post  |  William D. Chalmers  |  Updated Nov 29, 2012

US State Department statistics

131,841,062 Valid US Passports as of 2016, with 18,676,547 issued this year (includes 2,110,555 passport cards).

Yep. Gotta get one for that Cruse Ship vacation, ya know.

You do know that many Americans have more than one valid passport?  Business and news people require several to be able to obtain required visas in a timely manner.  Those holding diplomatic and official passport often also hold tourist passports (years ago even Japan required a tourist passport for tourist visits of diplomats).  So expect the 30% figure is close to being accurate.  As said most US residents never leave the country - and if they do it is just to adjacent country using state ID such as drivers licence.  

Yes the passport/card, NEXUS card (border pass) or enhanced DL will be required for return to US by land now.

But this really should not increase the number of active passports much as most would just get the cards or DL for occasional border travel.

What to Know Before You Go

SanDiego.org

" When crossing the border back and forth between Baja and San Diego, you’ll need to have a valid passport or other acceptable identification handy. When entering the United States, U.S. citizens are required to show passport, U.S. passport card, Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST) or an Enhanced Driver's License. Resident aliens must possess a green card. Knowing which ID to bring depends upon your method of travel (air, land, or sea).

Voter's registration card, military ID, driver's license and social security cards are not considered valid forms of citizenship identification.
"

It really depends on how FAR across a border one will be travelling.  An actual valid US Passport makes it a simple thing.   

I would have thought it would be a lesser percentage.  The thing about America is you can travel across thousands of miles without crossing any country borders.  The USA is so big and has such a wide range of climate even at the same time of year, one can ski in snow in Vermont or travel down to Florida and swim in the ocean.  So many Americans  holiday in and around the USA.  And in the past, one did not even need a passport to hop over to Canada or down to Mexico, the bordering countries.  The US laws changed such that you pretty much need a US passport to get BACK into the USA, your home country!  A little bit backwards, but the TSA, terrorism since 911 etc. kind of drove that.  Passports used to be considered somewhat exotic.  It was unusual to know people that traveled to Europe or Asia and fly the thousands of miles across an Ocean.  Nowadays, many US military people also have gotten passports as well as any of the people that like to travel back and forth to Canada or Mexico.  So the percentages of passport holders has gone up

I ran the border into Canada in 1971 as a hitchhiker...I tried to enter legally at the border crossing but was refused as I had no money...the CDN immigration guy looked like the evil Melvin Laird the US sec of defense...

I simply walked out into a field east of Blaine and some kids said the next road ye come to is Canada...I was illegal and ended up workin' in a sawmill in Fort St James in BC...I was undocumented except fer my California driver's license...

the outlaw, tutsiwarrior...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
Just now, tutsiwarrior said:

I ran the border into Canada in 1971 as a hitchhiker...I tried to enter legally at the border crossing but was refused as I had no money...the CDN immigration guy looked like the evil Melvin Laird the US sec of defense...

I simply walked out into a field east of Blaine and some kids said the next road ye come to is Canada...I was illegal and ended up workin' in a sawmill in Fort St James in BC...I was undocumented except fer my California driver's license...

the outlaw, tutsiwarrior...

keep going you got me now how did things pan out

nothin' goin' on...I was in college and at the end of the summer I went home to CA to start the new term...

there was a romantic interlude with torrid lovemaking with a CDN girl from Nelson on the banks of Takla Lake...the usual stuff when yer 21 y.o....

Edited by tutsiwarrior
7 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

That passport/card requirement is new and only for air travel return - most travel to Canada by land.  

W. Bush, in the final months of his time as pres. was giving a press conference and somehow the subject of needing a pp to enter Mexico came up, and he was surprised.  "Huh?  Since when?"  The answer was "when you signed off on it."

18 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

I've had a passport since I was 18 years old just in case I was facing 20 to life. Now it's down to six months behind bars and I'm out of here!

Isn't six months behind bars the self-imposed lifestyle of most expats in Pattaya or Phuket?

200.gif#2

On 12/8/2016 at 0:34 AM, gk10002000 said:

I would have thought it would be a lesser percentage.  The thing about America is you can travel across thousands of miles without crossing any country borders.  The USA is so big and has such a wide range of climate even at the same time of year, one can ski in snow in Vermont or travel down to Florida and swim in the ocean.  So many Americans  holiday in and around the USA.  And in the past, one did not even need a passport to hop over to Canada or down to Mexico, the bordering countries.  The US laws changed such that you pretty much need a US passport to get BACK into the USA, your home country!  A little bit backwards, but the TSA, terrorism since 911 etc. kind of drove that.  Passports used to be considered somewhat exotic.  It was unusual to know people that traveled to Europe or Asia and fly the thousands of miles across an Ocean.  Nowadays, many US military people also have gotten passports as well as any of the people that like to travel back and forth to Canada or Mexico.  So the percentages of passport holders has gone up

Well put.  It's not like in Europe where sometimes just traveling a few miles puts you in another country.  A few miles in many states puts you in...well....another state! LOL

And as you say, it's a huge country.  Not a huge need to go to another country if you want to snow ski, scuba dive, visit the beach, go camping, etc.  The Caribbean isn't exactly cheap.  Mexico, Central America and South America have their safety issues.  And airfares, until recently, were not cheap.

overlay04.png?w=645&h=723

You do know that many Americans have more than one valid passport?  Business and news people require several to be able to obtain required visas in a timely manner.  Those holding diplomatic and official passport often also hold tourist passports (years ago even Japan required a tourist passport for tourist visits of diplomats).  So expect the 30% figure is close to being accurate.  As said most US residents never leave the country - and if they do it is just to adjacent country using state ID such as drivers licence.  

Adjacent country is either Canada or Mexico. Both require passports.

A few miles in many states puts you in...well....another state! LOL

Or in the same state!  I can travel 12 hours+ in some states and still be in that state...

(The funny thing is that I've also seen people lamenting how people are always gallivanting off to other countries when the good ol' USA has so many interesting places to visit... can't win.)

But yes, travel is expensive, even within the U.S.  And especially if you're of the mindset that if you're going to go to another country, you want it to be for more than just a couple days so you have a chance to really see the place.

8 hours ago, Katia said:

Or in the same state!  I can travel 12 hours+ in some states and still be in that state...

(The funny thing is that I've also seen people lamenting how people are always gallivanting off to other countries when the good ol' USA has so many interesting places to visit... can't win.)

But yes, travel is expensive, even within the U.S.  And especially if you're of the mindset that if you're going to go to another country, you want it to be for more than just a couple days so you have a chance to really see the place.

I use to live in Las Vegas and went to school in Michigan.  I hated going through Nebraska.  I'd hit the border at sunrise and see the other border at sunset.  Hours and hours of corn fields! LOL

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Never had a problem with TSA agents.  But I could relate horror stories about going through customs in many other countries.  LOL  Got in trouble big time with my Lonely Planet guide book that had the Dali Lama's picture on it.

I think it's more traumatic for women, children and inexperienced travelers.  Many who are already tense from fear of flying. 

I was patted down once, when the machine was broke.  This 'guy' thoroughly enjoyed it.  If you catch my drift.  And he didn't use the back of his hands, as in this story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tammy-leigh-kahn/a-tsa-agent-touched-my-br_b_12136816.html?utm_hp_ref=tsa