Do You Complain..

fourbaht

The only thing I complain about is a warm beer. :o

Us Aussies can't stand a warm beer :D:D

Even as a Brit I am full of sympathy with your view (some POHMs are civilized). But which is worse - warm beer or no beer?

There is nothing so drab and nothing so dreer

as to stand at the bar of a pub with no beer.

OTOH, in the USA, we've never experienced either warm beer, or no beer. Ahh, life in the land of plenty! :-)

But I can tip you guys off to a place where you can get the coldest beer in town. No ladies to share it with in this restaurant however. It's strictly BYO in that regard.

There's a little restaurant called "Rungthip" on Nernplubwarn. It's about 6 kms down the road from Sukhumvit, on the left side, just as the road curves to the right. Nothing fancy. But very decent, inexpensive food, both Thai and Western. As I said, the beer is always served very cold. Give it a try. Worth the trip, when you're just looking for a nice meal, and some great cold beer!

George

I think the longer you stay here the more you devalop a "mai pen rai " attitude and have a better understanding of why some things are the way they are.

There are many things that you might have put in the "not quite right" category at first, that you see improving all of the time.

I hope this is the case, we have been here nearly two weeks now and I have settled better than my other half, which is surprising as she has visited LOS many time whereas this is my2nd time ever and my first time in Patters.

Maybe its easier for me as I have started working straight away whereas my partner is at a loose end during the day looking after our baby.

She misses her friends and family and is already talking about leaving after 12 months (we agreed to give it at least 12 months before making a decision to stay longer or to leave BTW) this niggles me as I am just enjoying being here for now and lapping up the big differences and absorbing the thai culture, warts and all.

Im hoping that, once she meets some like-minded female ex-pats who also have partners working here, she may settle more.

Like Jai Dee says, either your glass is half full or half empty...

I am a complainer. I was a complainer in my own country and I am a complainer here--actually more sarcastic than anything else.

I find my attitude comes and goes. I will have spells (they usually last about a month to 6 weeks) when absolutely nothing in the country is right. I hate everything and pretty much everyone. I spend a lot of time biting my tongue because I know what I want to say most of the time isn't rational.

This usually gives away to about 8months to a year of "normal" thinking. A few things bad, a lot of things good and somethings just not worth thinking about.

I usually have to really focus when I am in that negative place to get myself out of it. Usually, somebody will do something really nice and everything will just change--and it's usually really small--like picking up that 10 baht I dropped and chasing me down the street to give it to me; or letting me cut in to traffic when they really don't have to.

Unfortunately, I am in the negative place right now (probably christmas related), but just thinking about the good things makes me feel better!