Police discover large stash of fake brand name stuff at Platinum

snoop1130

Police discover large stash of fake brand name stuff at Platinum

By Coconuts Bangkok

6101992336_27d87395dc_z.jpg

Photo: Vikatw/Flickr

In an unbelievable reveal today, police raided a shop in Platinum shopping mall and found that the Paul Frank and Adidas items being sold there were not genuine. Shocking.

Officers seized approximately 7,000 fake products from a first-floor shop called “Phung.”

Shop worker Namwan Promchan, 22, from Laos, was taken to Phayathai Police Station to be questioned about the shop’s owner and where the goods had come from.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/12/08/police-discover-large-stash-fake-brand-name-stuff-platinum

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-12-08

"...unbelievable reveal....shocking..."

Coconuts confirms its great sense of humor  

Fifteen years ago, when I first shopped at Pratunam, it was common knowledge;  except, apparently, to the police?    :shock1:

I expect the next big "shocking reveal" will be a tip-off to the police about the knock-off Microsoft software at Panthip Plaza.  Another public secret.  

Edited by Fookhaht

10 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

People can't afford the genuine articles, let them buy copies, it's free advertising for the manufacturers of the genuine stuff

Sent from my twisted mind using Thaivisa Connect

As said above, it's theft and it's a deception.  Some copies are very close and not that much cheaper.  They also fall apart rather quickly. 

Why not just put another name on the shirt and abide by the law?  Less under the table money to the police that way.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

As said above, it's theft and it's a deception.  Some copies are very close and not that much cheaper.  They also fall apart rather quickly. 

Why not just put another name on the shirt and abide by the law?  Less under the table money to the police that way.

I have been unashamedly buying copy T Shirts in Thailand for years, IMO the copies are often of equal or even superior quality to the genuine item  I have many often washed 5 year old T Shirts that still look good, and hardly falling apart.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I have been unashamedly buying copy T Shirts in Thailand for years, IMO the copies are often of equal or even superior quality to the genuine item  I have many often washed 5 year old T Shirts that still look good, and hardly falling apart.

What about the person who invented the design, who's now being denied revenue for his efforts?  If that was you, I don't think you'd be happy.

With regards to copies, some are OK, most are not.  They fall apart very quickly.  T-shirts aside.  The big problem arises with medicine.  Fake meds are a huge problem here.

29 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

What about the person who invented the design, who's now being denied revenue for his efforts?  If that was you, I don't think you'd be happy.

With regards to copies, some are OK, most are not.  They fall apart very quickly.  T-shirts aside.  The big problem arises with medicine.  Fake meds are a huge problem here.

You should be more concerned about the multi national companies that exploit cheap labour in developing countries so they can make huge profits. Never had a copy T Shirt fall apart on me in over 10 years of buying them.

Edited by giddyup

in an even more "unbelievable and shocking" twist it was revealed that the shop owner is "a man in uniform". The relevant "uniformed services" have declined to comment, which was not so unbelievable, or shocking.

disclaimer: the above written lines are utterly fictitious and have no basis in fact with the referenced news story. They were written solely for the purpose of entertainment, without the slightest malicious forethought or intent. They do not name or shame a particular institution.

fact of life: disclaimers tend to be longer than the the item being disclaimed.

39 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You should be more concerned about the multi national companies that exploit cheap labour in developing countries so they can make huge profits. Never had a copy T Shirt fall apart on me in over 10 years of buying them.

Most multi national companies hire locals to manage their operations.  These locals hire the laborers and pay them little.  It's a problem, but not one that's 100% the fault of the multi-national.  It's also the fault of greedy locals abusing their population.  And I'm sure you are happy your items don't cost 3-4 times more due to their cheap operations.  Fault lies all around.

I've had many copies that have fallen apart.  T-shirts are easy.  Higher end stuff isn't as easy to copy.  Sadly, when in countries like China, copies are many times the only thing you can find.  My North Face jacket that I had to buy due to a cold spell there fell apart in a just a few months.  Terrible quality.

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

My North Face jacket that I had to buy due to a cold spell there fell apart in a just a few months.  Terrible quality.

I've got a couple of North Face jackets from the Beijing Pearl Market that are still marginally functional even after 15 years.

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

I've got a couple of North Face jackets from the Beijing Pearl Market that are still marginally functional even after 15 years.

It's hit and miss.  I actually bought 2.  One was a waterproof outer shell, the other was a fleece.  The fleece lasted a long time, the waterproof one was massively heavy, and not really 100% waterproof!   So I gave it away.  Yes, the original is much more expensive, but some times, you really do get what you pay for! LOL

edit: I lost the fleece on a night bus in South America. LOL

Edited by craigt3365

7 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Most multi national companies hire locals to manage their operations.  These locals hire the laborers and pay them little.  It's a problem, but not one that's 100% the fault of the multi-national.  It's also the fault of greedy locals abusing their population.  And I'm sure you are happy your items don't cost 3-4 times more due to their cheap operations.  Fault lies all around.

I've had many copies that have fallen apart.  T-shirts are easy.  Higher end stuff isn't as easy to copy.  Sadly, when in countries like China, copies are many times the only thing you can find.  My North Face jacket that I had to buy due to a cold spell there fell apart in a just a few months.  Terrible quality.

Multi national set up operations in developing countries because the labour is cheap, otherwise manufacturing would be in the home country, so please don't try and pass the blame to the country with cheap labour. Are you trying to tell me the CEO's of a major international company wouldn't be aware what salaries are being paid workers? Give me a break!

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Multi national set up operations in developing countries because the labour is cheap, otherwise manufacturing would be in the home country, so please don't try and pass the blame to the country with cheap labour. Are you trying to tell me the CEO's of a major international company wouldn't be aware what salaries are being paid workers? Give me a break!

http://www.carnegiecouncil.org/publications/ethics_online/0068.html

However, based on my extensive field audit experience in China and those of most other NGOs and human rights organizations, one has to be quite skeptical about the saliency of information gathered through mechanized multiple choice questions and "focus" group interviews. It should be noted that over the years, Chinese factories have honed their tactics in concealing problems from the auditors by keeping workers away from plants during audit visits, maintaining multiple sets of accounting books and workers' personnel files, coaching workers to give right answers to the auditors' questions in terms of working hours, wage rates, and overtime, et cetera, with promises of bonuses if the auditors were satisfied and implied threats of punishment if serious problems were identified. Thus a highly choreographed audit allows for certain violations—albeit manageable—to be disclosed and promises for corrective action to be taken.

Sure, multi-nationals are to blame, but it's not 100% their fault.  I'm sure you've manufactured products in China, so know the process well.

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

http://www.carnegiecouncil.org/publications/ethics_online/0068.html

Sure, multi-nationals are to blame, but it's not 100% their fault.  I'm sure you've manufactured products in China, so know the process well.

Of course it's a 100% their fault, the problem wouldn't exist if they weren't trying to maximise profits by employing cheap labour.

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

It's hit and miss. 

Sadly, you can often say the same about the genuine article nowadays.  They all seem to farm the work out to the lowest bidder in the lowest cost country, along with their quality supervision- which is often delegated to locals who are not as scrupulous as you'd expect for the money the genuine product commands.   I was appalled at the big name companies' (lack of) oversight practices when I did QA at Chinese factories.   And not at all specific to North Face.

That's why I no longer shop by brand name.  Too many of them have thrashed their name in favor of a good financial quarter.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Of course it's a 100% their fault, the problem wouldn't exist if they weren't trying to maximise profits by employing cheap labour.

Or perhaps 100% the fault of the consumer for buying these products?  Trying to minimize their costs????

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

Sadly, you can often say the same about the genuine article nowadays.  They all seem to farm the work out to the lowest bidder in the lowest cost country, along with their quality supervision- which is often delegated to locals who are not as scrupulous as you'd expect for the money the genuine product commands.   I was appalled at the big name companies' (lack of) oversight practices when I did QA at Chinese factories.   And not at all specific to North Face.

That's why I no longer shop by brand name.  Too many of them have thrashed their name in favor of a good financial quarter.

Some brands you are absolutely correct.  In my case, when traveling to difficult areas, having gear that won't fall apart is an absolute must.  No stores nearby for a replacement!  I just can't take a chance.

P1020285.JPG

Edited by craigt3365

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

Or perhaps 100% the fault of the consumer for buying these products?  Trying to minimize their costs????

Therein lies the rub. The savings in labour costs aren't being passed on to the consumer, but only making the fat cats fatter. A well known department store in Australia sells a very fashionable brand of mens clothing, shirts that are made in China sell for upwards of $100. Actual manufacturing cost are probably closer to $5. 

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Therein lies the rub. The savings in labour costs aren't being passed on to the consumer, but only making the fat cats fatter. A well known department store in Australia sells a very fashionable brand of mens clothing, shirts that are made in China sell for upwards of $100. Actual manufacturing cost are probably closer to $5. 

BS.  Those products would be orders of magnitude more expensive if made by workers in the West.  You are aware there are more costs involved for products than just manufacturing? LOL

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Depends on what your buying.. 'designer' Ts etc then yeah the price difference is more noticeable.. 

But for sportswear, in the UK its sooo cheap... Name brand gear, lonsdale, slazenger, everlast.. Its as cheap as Thai fakes for a far superior product, often with long lasting rubberized prints on the sweatgear.. Just not in the same league as local copies (most of which are ok for a few months but elastics and necks stretch all too quickly) thats without getting into the size 46 shoes or 2xl plus clothing issues. 

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

BS.  Those products would be orders of magnitude more expensive if made by workers in the West.  You are aware there are more costs involved for products than just manufacturing? LOL

Yes, advertising and CEO salaries. It doesn't get away from the fact that the profit margin on some items of clothing is bordering on obscene, which is why I have no hesitation in buying copies of those brands.

Edited by giddyup

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Yes, advertising and CEO salaries. It doesn't get away from the fact that the profit margin on some items of clothing is bordering on obscene, which is why I have no hesitation in buying copies of those brands.

Sports Direct UK.. 4 and 6 quid T shirts.. 6 - 10 quid high quality sweatshirts.. 20 quid airwalks.. 

Cheaper than Thai fakes.. And lasts way longer..