Britain’s MI6 chief warns of ‘unprecedented’ terror threat to UK

webfact

5 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Yes it does matter.

If I can make it difficult - if not impossible - for people I don't trust (governments) to build a profile of me based on what I view online or what I put in my emails, and all it costs me $60 a year, I figure it's worthwhile.

If I can confound the efforts of the wi-fi sniffer/snooper out to get at passwords stored in my browser or out to steal my identity to enable fraudulent activity then, again, I figure it's worthwhile.

You say no terrorist would use a "keyword" but you're wrong.

Sure, the masterminds aren't stupid enough but the cannon fodder foot soldiers aren't particularly bright.

The answer doesn't cost anything. Just don't put anything on the internet that you don't want them to know.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Yes it does matter.

If I can make it difficult - if not impossible - for people I don't trust (governments) to build a profile of me based on what I view online or what I put in my emails, and all it costs me $60 a year, I figure it's worthwhile.

If I can confound the efforts of the wi-fi sniffer/snooper out to get at passwords stored in my browser or out to steal my identity to enable fraudulent activity then, again, I figure it's worthwhile.

You say no terrorist would use a "keyword" but you're wrong.

Sure, the masterminds aren't stupid enough but the cannon fodder foot soldiers aren't particularly bright.

So the "foot soldiers" haven' t been educated in terrorist tactics by the terrorist 'group' - i.e. ISIS?

It tends to indicate that there are terrorists out there who have nothing to do with any 'main group' - but its easier for Western authorities to pretend that they're all ISIS or whatever it was called previously (edit - just remembered, Al Queda)......  Politics of fear works very well to keep populations under control most of the time - which is why the govt. now has unprecedented access to record ALL emails/'phone calls etc.

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your POV, it failed when it came to the brexit referendum for the govt. and establishment.  Slightly off topic, but only slightly as it all boils down to fear mongering.

Edited by dick dasterdly

55 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I think that's only true to a certain extent?

I'm thinking about a case more than a decade ago where a company was prosecuted for breaking the arms embargo - but the judge allowed some evidence to be provided (that the govt. had tried to have ruled inadmissible under the 'secrecy' laws) that showed the company was given the 'go ahead' by government agencies?

IIRC, the company was eventually acquitted.

I am trying to paraphrase how I was led to understand the new law, but basically if an agency was to acquire information about you by means of a secret and undisclosed backdoor, depending upon the nature of the information, revealing it in court and declaring its origin secret would automatically lead to the conclusion that it came through some sort of legal espionage. Therefore, to obfuscate this potential, they are legally allowed to invent and present to the court a fictitious source for said information, thus covering their tracks. While any individual would normally be guilty of perjury in such circumstances, the government would not even be allowed to be accused of it.

This is not only bad for UK citizens. For UK tech companies, the automatic assumption from consumers worldwide must be that UK companies cannot be trusted to be secure and free from government spying.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The answer doesn't cost anything. Just don't put anything on the internet that you don't want them to know.

That's ridiculous.

I don't display my life on social media but I do use email, I do hold assets like cash, stocks & precious metals in foreign jurisdictions and I do bank online.

For the management of those things, the internet is crucial.

I don't want the British government knowing about my net worth or my debt; not because I'm doing anything illegal but because it's none of their damn business.

Three men from Derby and one female from London arrested today with terrorist motives threat reported by BBC.

SAS also reported to be backing local police in London, Manchester and Birmingham according to the Express ( although they do get carried away at times), this would be a bad time for shoppers and good time for any terrorist in just about anywhere in the western world.

MI6 are right to be on high alert, its difficult to keep ahead of people who want to cause havoc in society, they know where and when they plan to strike.

7 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

No why would I?

Who gives a toss what Trustedreviews thinks? Hardly authoritative, is it?

Anyway, you're welcome to keep making it up as you go along.

I guess one has to have something to do in Thailand

Well I guess ignorance is bliss for you! :jap:

6 hours ago, Sule9 said:

They had been doing their job very well compared to their US counter partsm

Nope ,    it  is  a  scare  mongering, smoke  screen , 

aimed to deflect attention ,  from the shambolic  British  Goverment

Edited by elliss

Try learning from history. When the Brits cracked Enigma in WW2 they knew everything the U boats were doing, but they couldn't use the information as the Germans would have just changed the codes. They had to allow some attacks to take place. 

Brits cracked it, but Jon Bon Jovi and his submarine crew recovered it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Oh the hypocrisy!......

LONDON: -- ISIL militants are using the chaos created by the Russian backed military campaign of Bashar al-Assad in Syria to plot attacks against the UK and its allies, the head of MI6 has warned.

US created chaos would be the truth bringing about threats to the UK.......clown!!!!

However, the MI6 chief, said that Britain also faced a threat from ‘hybrid warfare’ from hostile states attempting to undermine western democracies. Without identifying any country, he said that cyber attacks, propaganda and the subversion of the democratic process represented a fundamental threat to sovereignty.

You Mr younger and your sellout cronies are doing a fine job at undermining western democracies with your globalist agenda!

Another dickwad saying anything to protect his name/pension on the way to retirement

On 12/9/2016 at 9:31 PM, daveAustin said:

I agree, but don't stop there, all should be banned. Let's face it, most people are only really religious because they think they will get something out of it the other end.

Regards the op, with the floodgates now opened into Europe, it's only going to go one way from here.

Nice mix of humor and incisive comment. 

THe dramas for countries receiving the Syrian exodus, is that most of these refugees are middle aged, poorly educated in L1, low functioning second language and have low skills in serviced based economies. 

Most too have large families, considerable health needs and high expectations things are going to be better. And situational circumstances may be an improvement but not how they thought and many arrivals become disillusioned quickly as their futures become fully realised. Great social problems are shared in the community.

I am  not anti refugee nor unsympathetic to their plight  but the generational problems are massive. [Indeed i am more critical of foreign policies/action which have contributed to this/]. Anyhow, people forget too when generalising their biases about 'Islam' that it is not simply the religion which causes problems but the high indice of poverty and low education in Islamic countries which produces these fools. Think of all the Islamic countries and only a few have any GDP of note.

But it is the situation we face. Repairing their country and offering incentives for repatriation should be paramount . More than you think would return in the right circumstances but it will not change the immediate social adjustment currently being experienced.  

10 minutes ago, optad said:

Nice mix of humor and incisive comment. 

THe dramas for countries receiving the Syrian exodus, is that most of these refugees are middle aged, poorly educated in L1, low functioning second language and have low skills in serviced based economies. 

Most too have large families, considerable health needs and high expectations things are going to be better. And situational circumstances may be an improvement but not how they thought and many arrivals become disillusioned quickly as their futures become fully realised. Great social problems are shared in the community.

I am  not anti refugee nor unsympathetic to their plight  but the generational problems are massive. [Indeed i am more critical of foreign policies/action which have contributed to this/]. Anyhow, people forget too when generalising their biases about 'Islam' that it is not simply the religion which causes problems but the high indice of poverty and low education in Islamic countries which produces these fools. Think of all the Islamic countries and only a few have any GDP of note.

But it is the situation we face. Repairing their country and offering incentives for repatriation should be paramount . More than you think would return in the right circumstances but it will not change the immediate social adjustment currently being experienced.  

You make good points but why would they want to leave life is much better in the UK and life is virtually free, free to live, to eat and drink and do what they want. They seem to have no agenda for adapting to the British way of life, they expect us to adapt if we say anything contrary they get offended! Its  a difficult problem which seems to have no answer at the moment, no one seems to grasp the nettle and deal with it, well, the majority of people do want it dealt with surprisingly.

Whilst terrorist are about plotting more havoc the security services have their work cut out to try and stop them, they are doing a good job IMO but we have had to lose some of our freedoms sadly to cope but there is no other way.

We must try and find a way to catch and deal/deport the culprits and anyone else who is stoking extremism, take away their rights, passports and eject them from whence they came, if they want to behave like uncivilized people then go to country that is like that, if you want sharia law, the ame applies go to country that practices it.

Some just don't adjust to new lives and make the return when things settle. In truth, it is generally men who cannot handle the transition. I know it's a low percentile atm but i do hear of others planning for that possibility if things were permissive. However, invariably it is about the children and thus they plant roots and its a new life, house education et al./ 

THe difficulty is the welfare dependency, it is a total lifetime investment. Two generations probably. Also cloistered communities created because of their own anxieties and mutual needs changes suburbs. I will never see a pension in australia, however it doubtful many new first gen arrivals will see work either.

I dislike attitudes which are not constructive but the issue does require special vision and solutions which will have failure rates no doubt. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2016 at 8:59 AM, dick dasterdly said:

It tends to indicate that there are terrorists out there who have nothing to do with any 'main group' - but its easier for Western authorities to pretend that they're all ISIS or whatever it was called previously (edit - just remembered, Al Queda)......

I don't think that the first part is in doubt.  The Nice attack by lorry seems a very good example.  I think that there is a very good chance that a Moslem going postal nowadays will 'pledge allegiance' to ISIS.