Bangkok taxi driver goes online in five minute "Uber" rant

webfact

3 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I don't get it, how, in Thailand can a Uber driver compete with the regular taxis? The taxi services are dirt cheap and available anywhere almost instantly on the streets of Bkk. Admittedly there are chinks like the thing about not getting a cab because it is time to go back to the depot, or the taxi waiting cue at Don Muang (why I always just walk across the street and grab a taxi there), or how it is impossible to get a taxi when it rains..... I would think with the BKK traffic it would take about two to three times longer to just wait for the Uber than to actually take a taxi and get to your destination already?

Well, let me help you out.  I've lost COUNT Of the number of Bangkok taxi drivers refusing to use the meter.  Just flat out refusing.   I agree with those saying they've brought this on themselves.  Competition in Thailand is simply NOT welcomed, and this aspect of the culture is hurting them now as the tourist boom of decades past has ended and a shrinking pie has to be carved up into smaller & smaller pieces.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, chinostar said:

Comparing with your own standards, as if these were better, is having your cake and eat it all.

Yes we will eat cake but what will millions of unemployed drivers and their families do to survive as this Uber thing takes the world by storm along with so many other lifestyle improving gadgets. Yes retrain but for what?? American has already got 100,000,000 people looking for a DECENT good paying job. Its a real conundrum oh well why should I worry its pension day. Is there any way to Uber me??

7 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Well, let me help you out.  I've lost COUNT Of the number of Bangkok taxi drivers refusing to use the meter.  Just flat out refusing.   I agree with those saying they've brought this on themselves.  

Can't disagree with you there.  But is the answer a reform of the taxi enforcement and the fee structure, or is it allowing illegal drivers to operate without getting registered, without paying taxes, and charging a higher rate that's not allowed to the legal drivers?

Some BKK taxi drivers have been trying to implement "Surge Pricing" for years.  We call it "going off the meter" and gripe and moan endlessly.  It's illegal.  Yet Uber drivers get to do it, and not a word of complaint?

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Taxi drivers would obviously prefer it if Uber and Grab went away so they can remain the only show in town and continue to arrogantly pick and choose their customers and destinations, drive with the crackly radio at full blast, no air con etc. 

I'd say 10% of them are good, 10% are OK, 80% are dicks. No sympathy from me. 

From my experiences , I would generally  agree with your  10/10/80 percentages of taxi drivers in BKK .  However , when it comes to tuk tuk drivers they are 100% , unquestionably, absolutely, positively ALL dicks .  

From my experiences , I would generally  agree with your  10/10/80 percentages of taxi drivers in BKK .  However , when it comes to tuk tuk drivers they are 100% , unquestionably, absolutely, positively ALL dicks .  

Haha lmao thats a bit harsh [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, MikeTexas said:

Every time I have to use a cab I get screwed. I've had them quote one price and then try to raise it at the end of the ride  and several other things. I have absolutely no sympathy for any taxi driver. 

In over 15 years in Thailand, I have had overwhelmingly good experiences with taxis.  NEVER has anyone tried to raise the fare at the end of the ride.  If they won't turn on the meter, I either won't get in, or, if I don't realize it until I've gotten in, I get right out (and DON'T say anything snarky or slam the door).

Do you tend to get into parked taxis?  That's a big mistake--worldwide, not just in Thailand.  Excepting official queues such as airports, train stations, Skytrain stops, etc., a general traveler's rule is to always flag a MOVING taxi, never get in a parked one.  I do this all the time, especially in touristy areas: walk right past a row of parked taxis, and flag down a moving one.

Finally, one more question, which you're probably not going to like, and which I think I already know the answer to: do you speak Thai?  I'm betting not.  I have several friends whose bad taxi experiences far outweigh their good ones, like you (and the polar opposite of me), and to a person, they happen to not speak Thai.  One friend, who admittedly is a bit of a hothead and a prick at times, has been punched several times by taxi drivers.  He speaks no Thai. 

Learn to speak Thai.  I'm betting your positive taxi experiences will multiply.  I'm not saying it will solve all taxi-related problems (I too get annoyed when they refuse to pick up passengers due to their destination, or are surly/less than courteous), but I think it will make a big difference.

He moans that his costs are four times that of a Uber driver. Their presence on the roads means at least 20-30% less for him.

Why doesn't he become an UBER driver then ?

In Bangkok we've been spoilt somewhat by the abundance and prices of Taxi's but only when compared to 'other' major destinations and cities in Thailand (Pattaya, Samui, Chiang Mai, Phuket). 

Over the past 20 years I have encountered numerous issues... from drivers falling asleep, aggression and violence, abusive behaviour towards passengers, crazy driving, speeding, falling asleep, drunk taxi driver..... to the most common issue - Fare refusal.... The few may have spoiled it for the many, nevertheless, the soiled reputation of the Bangkok taxi driver has left a void all too easily filled by UBER. 

GRAB Taxi still uses regular taxis and while there is some accountability we are still stuck with the continued BKK Taxi drivers attitude of entitlement, poor driving, opening the door to hack-up-a-lung, unclean taxi, no seat-belts.. etc etc...

UBER are a refreshing improvement - Clean & Safe with curious drivers. There is a direct line of feedback for both driver and passenger. 

25 minutes ago, Saastrajaa said:

In over 15 years in Thailand, I have had overwhelmingly good experiences with taxis.  NEVER has anyone tried to raise the fare at the end of the ride.  If they won't turn on the meter, I either won't get in, or, if I don't realize it until I've gotten in, I get right out (and DON'T say anything snarky or slam the door).

Do you tend to get into parked taxis?  That's a big mistake--worldwide, not just in Thailand.  Excepting official queues such as airports, train stations, Skytrain stops, etc., a general traveler's rule is to always flag a MOVING taxi, never get in a parked one.  I do this all the time, especially in touristy areas: walk right past a row of parked taxis, and flag down a moving one.

Finally, one more question, which you're probably not going to like, and which I think I already know the answer to: do you speak Thai?  I'm betting not.  I have several friends whose bad taxi experiences far outweigh their good ones, like you (and the polar opposite of me), and to a person, they happen to not speak Thai.  One friend, who admittedly is a bit of a hothead and a prick at times, has been punched several times by taxi drivers.  He speaks no Thai. 

Learn to speak Thai.  I'm betting your positive taxi experiences will multiply.  I'm not saying it will solve all taxi-related problems (I too get annoyed when they refuse to pick up passengers due to their destination, or are surly/less than courteous), but I think it will make a big difference.

In defending taxi drivers it seems you are suggesting the fundamentally flawed ideology that its ok for a Taxi's to provide a negative experience if the passenger doesn't speak Thai...  this apologist attitude excuses the poor reputation of Bangkok's Taxi drivers and would also indicate that it would also be acceptable for an UBER driver to treat a non-Thai speaking passenger poorly.... as I pointed out - Fundamentally flawed logic. 

Yes, speaking Thai does make a huge difference - BUT, it shouldn't.... and with UBER it doesn't. 

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

All very well talking about competition, but that is not what Uber is about. They will drive normal taxi services out and then hike prices up. They can afford to be fairly cheap and reasonable now because they have a lot of venture capital money propping them up. But, the venture guys will want that money back, and more - and it will be coming from your pocket. 

There are documented cases, Google is your friend, of Uber services in cities jacking prices up when they start to get a monopoly and at times when they knew a lot of people were wanting taxis. 

Uber are also notorious for ripping off their drivers, so do you think your happy drivers will stay that way when they are getting screwed over? 

Thai taxis need sorting out, but it ain't going to come through allowing Uber to take over. 

A very good point - the presence and success of UBER in Thailand is clear enough evidence that the Taxi industry needs improvement. 

For one - Seat Belts in All Taxi's, greater accountability for poorly behaving taxi drivers would be the first steps into bringing the Taxi services in to line... 

I've only used BKK taxis a few times.... on my last visit to the capital, the driver stopped and told me that parking was too hard in front of the building, and told me it was easier to get out and walk around the corner to my destination.

lol.... a few minutes later I discovered that I was still miles away from my destination, and that the cheating rat barstool had conned me.

i think Uber is great... it will force the normal taxis to lift their game.

three months ago, I got a normal taxi to the airport (25% cheaper) when leaving Oz.... they now have track my taxi apps... they service was bang on time... the driver was a nice guy.... the car was in great condition... and when quizzed about uber, he made no derogatory comments. ?

23 minutes ago, Saastrajaa said:

I agree on not getting in a parked taxi but disagree on all the other points. My Thai GF gets all the same issues I do, probably worse as they speak to her (not normally an intelligent or pleasant conversation, often complaining about traffic/politics, swearing etc.) whereas they tend to just drive when it's me alone. There are plenty of posts on FB from Thais either getting touched up or worse (women) or generally treated badly. One video in Phuket from a Thai a couple of days ago showing a rigged meter and insisting the driver returned to the airport. Also, what are tourists that are lured here supposed to do? Learn Thai so they don't get ripped off?

Also, getting refused a destination or choosing not to accept a rip-off price, or managing to get out without being beaten up when they refuse to put the meter on doesn't really constitute great service IMO.  It just means you've learnt to avoid the ripoff tactics and violence. Pretty low expectations if that's seen as a positive.

In and around BKK my taxi experience is 15/35/50.  15% are good taxi drivers tell you up front about traffic and will recommend a better way to get there but will still take you if you insist plus use the meter.  Big tip from me usually double fare or more.   35% are those that use the meter and take you where you want to go if it is somewhat good for them after a few questions about why the meter does not work (I speak a little Thai which helps) he amazingly does.  50% either say the meter does not work, refuse your destination, take you the long way,  drunk, speeding, sleeping, I don't understand etc.  I don't live in Bangkok every day so.....

I am curious to the safety and efficiency of the Uber in Bangkok and Thailand.  I saw a few posts but want to see more before I take it for a taxi. 

19 minutes ago, impulse said:

I wonder how many of the retirees here would have been able to afford their luxury lifestyle had they not been protected from scabs and illegal competition during their careers.  And how many more low budget retirees we'd have if their contemporaries couldn't afford to retire back home had they not been protected from illegal competition- no matter how much cheaper the illegals could have done it.

Are they ilegal?  In melbourne Australia Uber is legal, taxi drivers dont like the competition.  They demonstrate and block streets in the CBD and think they are winning supporters for the foul smelling taxis and the arrogant rude non english speaking drivers. They haven't won support.  I never take a taxi in Melbourne as you start dry reaching straight away they are foul.  Uber is fanstastic clean friendly english speaking drivers who dont insist taking you on the scenic route to up the fare or threaten you if you try to show them the quickest and shortest way.  Rural taxis in Victoria are great and I'm sure this applies in Thailand as well.

couple of weeks ago, taxi from bus station to my condo 60 baht, i get in taxi with suitcase and fishing gear, a japanese couple approach taxi, he tells me to get out, no way mate you accepted my fare, pretends he doesn't know the U turn. he said DONT TALK TO ME, ok mai pen rai,a miracle, he knows the U turn, the fare was 59 baht, so he gets 60 baht for being so <deleted> rude.so when i get out i told him what a rude <deleted> he was.

9 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Are they ilegal?

Uber's business model is about as legal as Napster's  It's based on making money by enabling people to ignore things like licensing requirements, legally mandated fare schedules, reporting and paying taxes on earnings, employment laws, etc.  All under the protection of deep pockets to fight off the legal consequences.  For a while.  With Napster, it was those pesky copyright laws.  With Uber, it's those ubiquitous hack laws that every city seems to have, along with employment laws having to do with taxes and benefits and employee rights.

Like Napster, a lot of people embrace it, use it and defend it against claims of illegality.  Largely because the legacy competition had such a flawed (outdated) business model.  They refer to it as a disruptive technology.  The only thing disruptive about Uber is the audacity of the management and the amount of investor cash they have to fight all the cities and states who will defend their hack laws, and more importantly, their tax base.  And like Napster, they're burning through boatloads of their investor's cash fighting the legal fights on multiple fronts.

Will Uber prevail?  I give them the same odds as Napster.  It's a race between their burn rate and their adversaries' tenacity.  And when they're taking tax money away from cities with teams of attorneys, the odds don't favor the illegal business model.  It took 'em about 3 years to put Napster out of business.  How long has Uber been around?

5 hours ago, MikeTexas said:

Every time I have to use a cab I get screwed. I've had them quote one price and then try to raise it at the end of the ride  and several other things. I have absolutely no sympathy for any taxi driver. 

It's your own fault for accepting a metered taxi and agreeing on no meter!  You're agreeing to get screwed right from the start so why be surprised when you're screwed a bit more?  

If everybody like you just refused un-metered trips there would not be any call for those drivers to exist and, therefore, no problem.  There are 80,000+ other taxis and the majority will use the meter

6 hours ago, meme1967 said:

The quality and service offered by the majority of taxi drivers is absolute rubbish. 

People want to travel safely, in a clean air-conditioned vehicle that does not refuse to take them where they want to go and does not rip-off people.

The authorities should ban all the old, smelly taxis from the road, and make sure that the taxis are new, clean and fresh.

Whilst I agree with you in principle, if you want all nice clean cabs, and nice drivers then be prepared to pay Uber style pricing.

How quickly would most of you start complaining if Taxi meter fares in Bangkok were double or even triple?

I use taxis every day and occasionally Uber.   

I never ever use motorbike taxis, so often if I'm round a back soi it is impossible to get a taxi because they don't drive around the back sois looking for fares, so in those cases I'll call an Uber and have them come to me.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

What makes you think Uber drivers are doing any better?  Just because a bunch of unregulated part timers have put out a shingle and taken away a bunch of business, doesn't mean they're rolling in dough. 

Before Uber, Bangkok already had too many taxi drivers.  Then comes Uber, adding even more -illegal on several levels- many of them part timers just looking to offset a portion of the car payment.  Take it to an extreme, imagine everyone who owns a car in BKK were to sign on to Uber and take 2-3 fares a day just for spending money. How would you expect legal taxis to stay in business?  If we want them to serve our needs, we have to let them make some money.  That only seems fair. 

Look at the OP photo from the point of reference of a taxi driver.  Now, imagine when your taxi gets to the front of that line, you're only guaranteed to get a fare worth $1.00.  You may get more, but $1.00 is all you're guaranteed.  

I don't blame them for being upset about unlimited illegal competition with no taxes, no license fees, and no meters limiting their take.

I appreciate what you are saying - But please understand i did not say Uber where doing any better - The taxi driver making the video infers that they are they are taking his business. 

But if Uber is thriving (as we can assume after the rant) then it must be doing something right? Its down to the Taxis to up their game - as the old saying goes "You pay ya money ya make your choice" And the customers clearly are making their own choice. 

The number of times I have been left in the rain / stranded / or rejected by taxis (and bear in mind it  is actually illegal for taxis to refuse a fare just cause they don't want to drive there). I have very little sympathy for them. Taxis have had many opportunities to get their house in order and failed. 

How many taxi drivers have you had whose face doesn't match that on the driver ID card on the passenger side? Taxi drivers driving taxis under the influence?  Taxi drivers with no license etc. The illegality works both ways i'm sad to say You ever tried to call a taxi to your house to collect?? 

6 hours ago, chinostar said:

I have very mixed feelings about Uber. Some bad experiences, like wrong location, no English speaking drivers, smelly car, too small cars, bad drivers. 

Funny that, I've had very similar experiences...with taxis though.

17 minutes ago, jonclark said:

I appreciate what you are saying - But please understand i did not say Uber where doing any better - The taxi driver making the video infers that they are they are taking his business. 

But if Uber is thriving (as we can assume after the rant) then it must be doing something right? Its down to the Taxis to up their game - as the old saying goes "You pay ya money ya make your choice" And the customers clearly are making their own choice. 

We're not so far apart.  My point is that just because Uber is thriving (maybe, maybe not- but let's leave that aside), doesn't mean their drivers are able to make a decent living.  Uber takes a cut out of a zillion transactions a day.  They can saturate the market and do quite well- while each of their drivers struggle with not enough business to go around.  The same problem that legal taxi drivers face- oversupply.  Exacerbated by a flood of illegal competition.  Thus- the guy's rant.

There's no way for us to know how much the average Uber driver in BKK is making, and whether that's enough to feed a family.  As a few guys on this thread indicate, some guys do it for a little extra cash after their normal jobs.  That's fine, but what about the guys that have to count on that money exclusively to feed their families?

8 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Tough titties, friend. I'm sure you've never refused a fare because the route didn't suit you, or run-up the meter, or mouth off at a customer, or or or... Thais absolutely despise competition and 'some' taxi drivers can be absolute numpties. I say again, tough titties. Run with the times - become an Uber driver yourself - or perhaps take up barber college. :wink:

uber ruins it and not only in bkk....

8 hours ago, MikeTexas said:

Why don't you just use meter,i never get screwed.

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Taxi drivers would obviously prefer it if Uber and Grab went away so they can remain the only show in town and continue to arrogantly pick and choose their customers and destinations, drive with the crackly radio at full blast, no air con etc. 

I'd say 10% of them are good, 10% are OK, 80% are dicks. No sympathy from me. 

Rubbish figures and i have always had ac,even 20 years ago,when that was the reason for catching a taxi.

8 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Rubbish figures and i have always had ac,even 20 years ago,when that was the reason for catching a taxi.

I can see how for some the [10% Good / 10% OK / 80% Total Dick] figures are realistic. 

My experience of Taxi Drivers 

5% Good / 45 % OK / 40% barely tolerable / 10% Total A$$holes

Its the 10% which makes me select UBER as a first choice... although with UBER there is the 10% nice-but-dim element who can't find my apartment and drive around nearby until I resolve to call them and find out whats going on !... 

5 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Well, let me help you out.  I've lost COUNT Of the number of Bangkok taxi drivers refusing to use the meter.  Just flat out refusing.   I agree with those saying they've brought this on themselves.  Competition in Thailand is simply NOT welcomed, and this aspect of the culture is hurting them now as the tourist boom of decades past has ended and a shrinking pie has to be carved up into smaller & smaller pieces.

Are you counting on your thumbs.I get refused around 6pm sometimes,but never refuse to use meter.

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
42 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

I can see how for some the [10% Good / 10% OK / 80% Total Dick] figures are realistic. 

My experience of Taxi Drivers 

5% Good / 45 % OK / 40% barely tolerable / 10% Total A$$holes

Its the 10% which makes me select UBER as a first choice... although with UBER there is the 10% nice-but-dim element who can't find my apartment and drive around nearby until I resolve to call them and find out whats going on !... 

Of course everyone's experience is different.

I'd say for me, living in BKK for 8 years, my experience with taxis would be something like :-

95% perfectly fine

4% annoying but bearable

1%   should be stripped of their licence to be a taxi driver