Hard Rock Cafe opened.

kalbo123

Hello All,

Was last night in Hardrock cafe Chiang Mai.

Did not eat there, but must say the food looked good, maybe because I am on a diet, will test next time.

But there was an excellent cover band. 

Philippino band, solid musicians and 2 younger singers, that actually can sing and know the words they are singing.

Many tourists not really interested in the music, but the terras outside was full and inside it was 50% full.

For me the music is a big deal, as I find the quality of most Thai bands very bad, so I will be coming back.

O yeah, price of beers, 160/170 baht for a small beer, 200 baht for a pint of draft beer.

Cocktails start around 350 baht. Cheapest Hard rock in south east asia I think.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

re

Where is this located exactly?

its next to the entrance of the royal lana hotel and the red lion

in the night bazzar 

re ...  in upper Loy Kroh rd  .... utter rubbish ! 

if you were at upper loi kroh road you would be outside

jammers and ba ba bo bo bars bar by the moat

not in the night bazzar !

ps ... night pic taken on staff training night a few days ago 

dave2

hard rock cafe 5 dec 16 20161205_134634.jpg

hard rock cafe staff training night 3 dec 16 20161203_202618.jpg

O yeah, price of beers, 160/170 baht for a small beer, 200 baht for a pint of draft beer.
Cocktails start around 350 baht. Cheapest Hard rock in south east asia I think.

Ouch. I guess you're paying for the name. Still good to know that this type of thing is being set up in CM... the powers that be haven't completely stifled the place.

23 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Next... knock down the Red Lion and build a Hooters!

Yeah - let's just keep <deleted> up Thailand....

With McDs, BK, Starbucks, HR, Subway it's almost unrecognizable & a down turn from what was at one time a decent night bazaar....

If they can't find anything there they can grab an Uber and zip down the road to the Premium Outlets - right next to the Starbucks, McDs, & KFC there....

Ur a bit sour pgrahmm, don't u think?  I mean the world is what it is, if u don't like what u find here, institute change in urself first.  But moaning to others is downright foolish.  I can see by ur avatar (which may be bogus) that u r getting on in yrs and r losing the zip of youth, hence the need to complain. Won't work here.

33 minutes ago, jobin said:

Ur a bit sour pgrahmm, don't u think?  I mean the world is what it is, if u don't like what u find here, institute change in urself first.  But moaning to others is downright foolish.  I can see by ur avatar (which may be bogus) that u r getting on in yrs and r losing the zip of youth, hence the need to complain. Won't work here.

He's not sour or moaning at all just stating facts.CM is/has just become another large, ugly Asian city,full of electronic billboards,7/11's,no parking ,no transport infrastructure,very little restoration of heritage buildings, too many fast food outlets and overpriced franchises like  HRC.If you want to spend 500 baht on a burger go for it.

As to snide remarks about his age, according to your evaluation getting older is apparently a crime.

34 minutes ago, jobin said:

What is it with the idea that older people spend their life complaining about change.  I am an old bloke and can tell you that the thing I complain about most is that some younger people think that older people are half dead whingers - but don't put us all in that category.  I find too many younger people are wasting their lives because they are not getting out there and experiencing everything they can. I welcome any new music opportunities.  I admit HRC is a bit potted but anything to liven up a place has to be a good thing.  Too many music venues have closed over the recent years.

20 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Yeah - let's just keep <deleted> up Thailand....

With McDs, BK, Starbucks, HR, Subway it's almost unrecognizable & a down turn from what was at one time a decent night bazaar....

If they can't find anything there they can grab an Uber and zip down the road to the Premium Outlets - right next to the Starbucks, McDs, & KFC there....

The only people who will <deleted> up this country (even more) are those whom surround you.

On 12/9/2016 at 6:02 PM, puukao said:

If you don't like it, take your 50 baht somewhere else!!!

there is still time to flee....

Truthfully.....

Have been to a few of the Hard Rock's in the USA....Tahoe being the best - because of the scenery.....

Saw the replica "rock artifacts" there.....Can't be bothered here.....

Just another money grab for the gullible to "enjoy".....The stupid/gullible/city dwellers - "starry eyed chasers"will be glad (think stupid enough) to spend their money here....

Just like in the many artificial entertainment places in the US.....No accomplishments - just milking the $$$$$$ with a few guitars & pictures on the wall (of meaningless things 10,000 miles away)......Has nothing to do with real rock & roll.......Has everything to do with the fleecing/stupidity of the mindless "urban" acolytes......Much like Urban Cowboy......

At least the guys/gals that went to Gilley's had a real experience......

On 12/9/2016 at 8:34 AM, dave2 said:

re

Where is this located exactly?

its next to the entrance of the royal lana hotel and the red lion

in the night bazzar 

if you were at upper loi kroh road you would be outside

jammers and ba ba bo bo bars bar by the moat

not in the night bazzar !

ps ... night pic taken on staff training night a few days ago 

dave2

hard rock cafe 5 dec 16 20161205_134634.jpg

hard rock cafe staff training night 3 dec 16 20161203_202618.jpg

Is there an official "Upper Loi Kro" and a "Lower Loi Kroh" .

Hard Rock is actually located in the middle of Loi Kroh road , at the intersection where the night bazaar road is

45 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Truthfully.....

Have been to a few of the Hard Rock's in the USA....Tahoe being the best - because of the scenery.....

Saw the replica "rock artifacts" there.....Can't be bothered here.....

Just another money grab for the gullible to "enjoy".....The stupid/gullible/city dwellers - "starry eyed chasers"will be glad (think stupid enough) to spend their money here....

Just like in the many artificial entertainment places in the US.....No accomplishments - just milking the $$$$$$ with a few guitars & pictures on the wall (of meaningless things 10,000 miles away)......Has nothing to do with real rock & roll.......Has everything to do with the fleecing/stupidity of the mindless "urban" acolytes......Much like Urban Cowboy......

At least the guys/gals that went to Gilley's had a real experience......

It's about as authentic as the Yellow Cab Pizza franchises in the Philippines......

Same Same - but different.....

Yellow Cab pizzas in the Philippines. .... a bit like Jolliebee  burgers and chicken.

Initially I thought it was passable, but then It became apparent it was just cheap &lt;deleted&gt; for the local masses.

However back a few years I did enjoy HRC in Mombasa (Of all places).Fell in love with their avocado salad. No one told me that stuff was fattening. Tasted good tho.

Small Singha is 175++, making it close to 200. Not reasonable price in my view, but I guess thats globalisation for you! Starbucks coffee most expensive around and worst flavour too, but I guess thats globalisation for you!  Get the picture?!

Well I for one might be interested to drop in...., I mean - If I was in danger of being caught short..., I wouldn't think twice to avail myself the use of their Thomas Crapper..., because on the up side, at least these generic Tourist based franchises usually have something resembling good toilets :wai:
Who knows maybe on the way out I might feel so inclined to indulge in a cleansing libation....., something like a bottle of water !
I'm certainly not a cheap charlie..., I just prefer something a little less manufactured.

On 12/9/2016 at 8:34 AM, dave2 said:

I guess that's relative.   The soi numbers definitely go higher towards the night bazar and the river.

BTW on their website pics you can see that Burger King is closed, with some renovation going on there.  I wonder if that will remain as Burger King, or will become something else..

4 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Why not pop in next door to the Red Lion which will probably have water at a more reasonable rate and use their Thomas Crapper.

You might even ask Kevin for a free glass of water.  You never know what the response might be!

I have a pretty good idea what Kevin's response might be....., :wai:

Archived