Hard Rock Cafe opened.

kalbo123

I have only ever been in a couple of hard rocks, totally not my musical tastes and always seemed geared for the visitor / tourist market (the pool in the Bali ones hotel bit  pretty nice though) and every time they seemed much more expensive than local options. Almost seems part of the brand. 

Have visited dozens of Hard Rocks (long story short, used to be forever working so whenever I got any time off I'd go away somewhere & it became a standing joke with the ex-Mrs to randomly pick a HRC to visit, me for a beer, her for the T-Shirt & Teddy) but I do like the pool at the one in Bali, nothing better than hiring a cabana for the day & as the mood takes you swimming across to the pool bar for a cold Bintang.

BTW, somebody mentioned KL, HRC there is full of freelancers, never knowingly seen them in any other one.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have visited dozens of Hard Rocks (long story short, used to be forever working so whenever I got any time off I'd go away somewhere & it became a standing joke with the ex-Mrs to randomly pick a HRC to visit, me for a beer, her for the T-Shirt & Teddy) but I do like the pool at the one in Bali, nothing better than hiring a cabana for the day & as the mood takes you swimming across to the pool bar for a cold Bintang.
BTW, somebody mentioned KL, HRC there is full of freelancers, never knowingly seen them in any other one.

dunno about KL. As for Bali there's lots of FL hang out at foyer outside the Rock Shop entrance. More in the moto parking across the street.
And Shanghai, when it was operating, was packed with FL.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Umm.   What's a 'freelancer' (FL) in the context of a pub?

And since this thread  includes comments towards MCD, let me say that i went to the new MCD on NimmanHaeman road just today.  Kitchen on 2nd floor, you cant' go there but you can watch the elevator deliver your burger to the first floor basket.  A good use of space.  Eating area on ground floor, room for many.  Ordered a Salmon burger at 70 baht, promotion special. Very tasty, a bit dry.  Maybe the bun a bit old.  And noticed the Nestle coffee machine, no more American style brew.  Make a cup at a time.  

I'll be  back some early morn to try the coffee and McMuffin (the best MCD offers).

21 hours ago, jobin said:

But, the Vatican IS getting a new MCD, although not all the Cardinals approve.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/10/19/cardinals-oppose-perverse-plan-to-open-a-mcdonalds-in-vatican-city/

Let them eat nuggets or BigMac for once and the Cardinals will be singing the praises of the Golden Arches. 

In fact they are not, the proposed outlet is not in VC but is instead just outside of it.

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Kuala Lumpur , capital of Malaysia. 

regards worgeordie

I thought thst but dismissed it as seemed totally out of context with the post. Instead I thought it was an abbreviation for another restaurant or food franchise :whistling:

7 hours ago, dave2 said:

re

Ordered a Salmon burger at 70 baht, promotion special. Very tasty, a bit dry.  Maybe the bun a bit old

here ya go 

same offer is at mc ds thaphae gate branch :)

dave2

mc donalds salmon burger 10 dec 16 20161210_135254.jpg

I wonder what kind of salmon for that price. Norwegian salmon ? Nah.....

On 12/10/2016 at 6:18 PM, sanemax said:

Is there an official "Upper Loi Kro" and a "Lower Loi Kroh" .

Hard Rock is actually located in the middle of Loi Kroh road , at the intersection where the night bazaar road is

exactly 

when i was at school they told me rivers are usually an the bottom / lower part of a hill !

google maps says loi kroh road starts outside jammers bar and anyone thinking they are not walking down hill from there to the river needs their balace / perception of their

souroundings checked out as these pics show the floods of sept 11 coming up loi kroh road to the police box by soi 3 and they never got any higher than there 

in my book that makes the upper or higher part of loi kroh road outside jammers bar by the moat not by burger king in the night bazzar

if anyone can prove me wrong im a :(

dave2 

river flooding 29 sept 11 2011_09290028.JPG

river flooding 29 sept 11 2011_09290029.JPG

river flooding 29 sept 11 2011_09290062.JPG

clown . bear cental airport plaza clown . bear arch 6 dec 11 2011_12110013.JPG

Was invited to Hard Rock Café last night by some friends.

All tables were not filled at anytime that we were there.

Extremely expensive compared to Chiang Mai pricing I am aware of.

Band is loud... normal from my experience.  The band was as has been mentioned already.

One bathroom for male and female with 2 stalls... I think this is temporary.

No credit card POS terminal yet - at least that is what they said.

Food is the same as I remember at other Hard Rock Cafes I have been to.  Of course I only know what I had last night.

The parking upper level behind McDonald's was "stamped" by Hard Rock so no charge.  There may be some times or limits on that... not sure.

Only on my list of very rare visitors entertainment venue.

Worst case scenario, yes, or a dishonest tranny, but a lot of them just like the freedom of not working at the bars..because it is too much like a job, and if they could actually hold a job, they may not have beenprossies to begin with.  I dare say that the FL are a lot more responsible for the 200,000 PSM condo prices on Sukhumvit, than the snake farm or the floating market tour.

28 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Worst case scenario, yes, or a dishonest tranny, but a lot of them just like the freedom of not working at the bars..because it is too much like a job, and if they could actually hold a job, they may not have beenprossies to begin with.  I dare say that the FL are a lot more responsible for the 200,000 PSM condo prices on Sukhumvit, than the snake farm or the floating market tour.

Do these FL's hang out at CM HRC to your knowledge?

i was in reception of my kuala lumpur hotel last night so i thought id go

and see what it was like in the hard rock cafe next door

it was packed and the only available seats were in a grotty room at the front

so i went back to my room but i did look at the beer price on my way past :)

wow wow and wow again !

a small chang was 24 ringgit .... thats about 192 baht or 4 pound 40 english

dave2 .... not going in a hard rock again anytime soon as thats more than double what the girly bars in the bar boxing ring on loi kroh road charge :( 

ps ... i didnt even look at the food menu !

kuala lumpur hard rock cafe beer prices 23 dec 16 20161223_100728.jpg

kuala lumpur hard rock cafe beer prices 23 dec 16 20161223_195521.jpg

kuala lumpur hard rock cafe beer prices 23 dec 16 Screenshot_2016-12-24-04-36-05.png

On 12/16/2016 at 6:27 PM, jobin said:

So these FLs are married women, but pretending otherwise, hanging at the bar getting free drinks, just for being female.  Then that ought to be: FL = Female Lurkers (or Losers).

Regardless, i won't be looking for them, ever.

FLs are all different . 

Some have their own day job and just go out in the evening for a drink and dance and and maybe get paid for it at the end of the night .

Some are married or have bfs whose partner doesnt care what they get up to 

Walked by that classic rip-off joint twice already on the way to The Red Lion and from a quick observation there were very few customers on each occassion. Given their prices that was not a surprise. IMO even the tourists will soon forgo the Hard Rock. I have been in their joints in Bangkok and Pattaya and other than a quick beer at outrageous prices I was out the door. When I am in that part of C.M. and want decent food and drink at reasonable prices it's the Red Lion or O'Malleys for me.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Walked by that classic rip-off joint twice already on the way to The Red Lion and from a quick observation there were very few customers on each occassion. Given their prices that was not a surprise. IMO even the tourists will soon forgo the Hard Rock. I have been in their joints in Bangkok and Pattaya and other than a quick beer at outrageous prices I was out the door. When I am in that part of C.M. and want decent food and drink at reasonable prices it's the Red Lion or O'Malleys for me.

They are upfront with their prices, how is it a rip-off?

80-90 for a small isn't anything to write home about.  Small Henekens are 50 thb at many Pattaya bars.  I saw large for 100 (heiny) in Nimman the other night.  Too bad the owner is too fookin' retarded to read the born on date on the beer he is buying.  But, yeah, well more than double airport pricing....I say HRC will not see 2018 with those prices...Does anyone feel uncomfortable drinking/eating at a place, where the staff would give up half a day's pay for a small beer?  

Obviously you are quite comfortable with paying twice as much for Leo or a Tiger Lek. That is what is meant by a rip off. As for food prices, check the prices for similar items at the Red Lion or O'Malleys. Hard Rock Cafe is a tourist trap and rip off joint. I rest my case.

A beer in the HR is not equal to a beer in the Red Lion and neither are equal to a beer at the Four Seasons.

A business class seat is not equal to an economy class seat.

Most people understand the difference.

Well even the JW Marriott on Sukhumvit had lengthy 2 x 1 happy hours...about 130 for two small Heinekens...and not many takers at that price.  And I don't think Bangkok is a lot wealthier per capita than CM, but there are way, way more people on holiday, with money waiting to be harvested walking along Sukhumvit, compared to the Night Bazaar area.

What percentage of tourists are spending less than 185 per night on accommodation?  Most of the hostel crowd, and most people putting two in a room at a guesthouse or quite a few lower end hotels....

Archived