Hard Rock Cafe opened.

kalbo123

On ‎25‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:04 AM, roo860 said:
On ‎25‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:10 AM, NancyL said:
Does Red Lion sell tee shirts?

Hopefully not.

Having done my thorough research as asked for above, I can confirm that the RL does indeed advertise 'tee shirts' for sale at 350-375Baht each.

Please.  Lets not go off on another tangent about the relative value of various 'rip off' establishments and their advertising wares!  Start another topic if required.

PS;  HRC had 11 customers at 1815 tonight, RL had more than twice that number.

I am also sure the few HRC customers that were sitting there (outside) enjoyed the Royal Lanna  Hotel bus sitting outside only a few feet away) spewing out smoke and noise for some considerable time as it backed and filled it's way in and out of the hotel carpark.  It was noisy  enough next door without the fumes.  HRC is in the wrong area of CM, if it even should be here in the first place.

PPS;  I again confirm I have no connection with the RL, or any other bar etc; in CM.  Just my observations!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

They are certainly busier now but with that comes an increase in the volume. I'm not sure about elsewhere, but I'm sure that HRC in Bangkok is all enclosed which means that the music doesn't affect everyone round them.  Here in Chiang Mai it is open-fronted so when the band is on the poor souls selling opposite and everyone from the corner at Mc Donalds to almost up to Lemongrass has no choice but to suffer. Some nights, when they have a DJ or special event, after about 50 metres you don't even get music, just heavy bass.

Typically in Thailand no-one complains, they suffer in silence (or not), but that doesn't mean that they accept it. Although  noise is normal in Thailand,  I would have expected an international franchise to be a  bit more considerate of their neighbours and their well-being.

I had friends go on Wednesday Night

As i was unable to go, as i am recovering from a accident

One a short time with the Band After that a DJ

Service was bad

1 meal was forgotten then the prices for what you go was not good

The price of the selected beer would have to be the dearest in Chiang Mai

It seems that you pay for the name only

How long will this one will last

2 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

Now, a Hooters might have had a chance

i doubt it :(

i had a small chang in hooters on beach road pattaya in march that was 150 baht :(

and a small beer in the hard rock cafe in kuala lumpur last xmas

was about 192 baht

but an even bigger ttpiz  was getting charged 60 baht for a coke in a girly bar

on loi kroh road chiang mai on monday :(

dave2 wont be going in there again !

hooters pattaya 150 baht chang beer 26 mar 17 20170327_164500.jpg

hard rock cafe kuala lumpur 21 dec 16 20161221_210839.jpg

kuala lumpur hard rock cafe beer prices 23 dec 16 Screenshot_2016-12-24-04-36-05.png

1 hour ago, dave2 said:

i doubt it :(

i had a small chang in hooters on beach road pattaya in march that was 150 baht :(

and a small beer in the hard rock cafe in kuala lumpur last xmas

was about 192 baht

but an even bigger ttpiz  was getting charged 60 baht for a coke in a girly bar

on loi kroh road chiang mai on monday :(

dave2 wont be going in there again !

Places that provide entertainment, especially those that don't sell food, often work on a mark-up pricing policy. In that respect a Coke at 60 baht in a girly bar  is a similar mark-up to a small Singha beer at something like 90b, which is what some of these bars charge. One other factor is that people drinking soft drinks are much more likely to order just 1 or 2 bottles as opposed to a beer drinker that would more likely order 3 or 4. Buying a drink in an entertainment venue has more to do with paying for the cost of the entertainment than the unit cost of the drink.

If 60b for a Coke was the price of a lady drink, that is quite reasonable, if it was for you, then assuming that you're not knocking them back, it's still a cheap night out. I doubt if that piece of information will change your mind, but it's still worth bearing in mind.

Also, it could have been worse...........you could have paid 30b for a bottle of water!!

1 hour ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

.you could have paid 30b for a bottle of water!!

That's normal price in restaurants . I paid 40 baht . And one time 50 baht . 

1 hour ago, balo said:

There were almost riots in Chiang Mai a few years ago when it was discovered that a bar/restaurant in Chiang Mai charged 30b for water. Unfortunately and very unusually, the topic was deleted so I can't give a link. Probably the funniest post that was ever on this forum. Very insightful too. But only in terms of how obsessive certain expats are about prices. 5 baht here or there is very significant to some, it seems.

On 6/23/2017 at 11:26 PM, Chiengmaijoe said:

They are certainly busier now but with that comes an increase in the volume. I'm not sure about elsewhere, but I'm sure that HRC in Bangkok is all enclosed which means that the music doesn't affect everyone round them.  Here in Chiang Mai it is open-fronted so when the band is on the poor souls selling opposite and everyone from the corner at Mc Donalds to almost up to Lemongrass has no choice but to suffer. Some nights, when they have a DJ or special event, after about 50 metres you don't even get music, just heavy bass.

Typically in Thailand no-one complains, they suffer in silence (or not), but that doesn't mean that they accept it. Although  noise is normal in Thailand,  I would have expected an international franchise to be a  bit more considerate of their neighbours and their well-being.

I did walk past there tonight, past the HR and I do feel that your noise assessment is rather unfair .

Three shops away is the main road, with non stop tuk-tuks, red cars, coaches and cars roaring by , then across the road, inside the night bazaar was a live Thai band playing loudly and there were two bars going towards lemon grass, who had music on  , plus you had the noise of the glass maker and numerous tourists and Thais , all quite speaking loudly.

That really isnt an area for a bit of peace and quiet

On 6/24/2017 at 11:21 PM, balo said:

I've paid 50 THB for water at a bar as I wasn't wanting to drink anymore beer for the evening....  A rare occurrence!

12 hours ago, sanemax said:

I did walk past there tonight, past the HR and I do feel that your noise assessment is rather unfair .

Three shops away is the main road, with non stop tuk-tuks, red cars, coaches and cars roaring by , then across the road, inside the night bazaar was a live Thai band playing loudly and there were two bars going towards lemon grass, who had music on  , plus you had the noise of the glass maker and numerous tourists and Thais , all quite speaking loudly.

That really isnt an area for a bit of peace and quiet

Yes indeed, the locals don't seem to mind a bit of noise(and then some)...., in some cultures loud noise is thought to ward off evil spirits..., if thats the subtext here, it does not seem to be overly effective.
Maybe I'll take a stroll through the area tonight and monitor the situation :wai:

....., I wonder how long this thread can be kept alive ?
..., it's not animal cruelty if the horse has already karked it. 

13 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Yes indeed, the locals don't seem to mind a bit of noise(and then some)...., in some cultures loud noise is thought to ward off evil spirits..., if thats the subtext here, it does not seem to be overly effective.
Maybe I'll take a stroll through the area tonight and monitor the situation :wai:

....., I wonder how long this thread can be kept alive ?
..., it's not animal cruelty if the horse has already karked it. 

It's not so loud lately, partly because they haven't had any events, partly, maybe, because they haven't been so busy outside due to the rain (no cover outside, so no punters outside) ...... and MAYBE because they read Thai Visa, and care about their image. You never know!!

Archived