What Products From Back Home Are You Missing Here In Thailand?

george

While I was in Thailand I did not miss any products in itself.

I missed services and shops such as libaries, video game shops

and I missed a park to stroll around in and play a game of footie.

but was that for a holiday or living there ?

even i forget about things until someone says what about such and such,most thinngs you can find here but things like a tin of corned beef is so expensive and i love corned beef hash,its a uk thing.

i miss loads of things out here but most i can either find at a high price or make myself.

i miss stupid things like the packets of pasta you can just stick in the microwave for 6 minutes,real mint sauce to go with the lamb i buy,real horseraddish sauce to go with beef.i could go on but we all have our favorites we miss and i go back to my country and buy loads of things and forget others.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T Bags.

And not just any old tea bags either.. it has to be ....

pgtips.jpg

i bring them back for friends,myself its tetley tea bags

totster :)

Totally agree - I have not seen PG Tips anywhere in Thailand.

Roses Chocolates - Same

Special K Cider - Same

Hit and miss in Chiang Mai, although more often miss

Coleman's mustard

Large size shoes and trainers

Macvities Digestive Biscuits

T Bags.

And not just any old tea bags either.. it has to be ....

pgtips.jpg

i bring them back for friends,myself its tetley tea bags

totster :)

i have to go back to the uk again in 2 weeks if you really really miss something pm me and i will bring it back im only going for 5 days but i live in bangkok if its pattay where you live i will be there dropping off things to my mates 4 days after i get home to bkk

Totally agree - I have not seen PG Tips anywhere in Thailand.

Roses Chocolates - Same

Special K Cider - Same

Hit and miss in Chiang Mai, although more often miss

Coleman's mustard

Large size shoes and trainers

Macvities Digestive Biscuits

While I was in Thailand I did not miss any products in itself.

I missed services and shops such as libaries, video game shops

and I missed a park to stroll around in and play a game of footie.

but was that for a holiday or living there ?

even i forget about things until someone says what about such and such,most thinngs you can find here but things like a tin of corned beef is so expensive and i love corned beef hash,its a uk thing.

i miss loads of things out here but most i can either find at a high price or make myself.

i miss stupid things like the packets of pasta you can just stick in the microwave for 6 minutes,real mint sauce to go with the lamb i buy,real horseraddish sauce to go with beef.i could go on but we all have our favorites we miss and i go back to my country and buy loads of things and forget others.

Well I do not know whether to call 2 - 3 month periods a holiday!!!!!!!!!!!

Somewhere in between holiday and living.

I just do not get that excited by foods. Anyway Thai food and snacks

beat western foods every time....................... except for chocolates and

sweets I would have to say.

By the way corned beef sucks.

What products from back home are you missing here in Thailand?

Food (not fresh food, but canned, processed etc)?

Delicatessen?

Other products?

The ecommerce guys at Thaivisa need feedback from you as they are sourcing for new products for our on-line store.

Our current store, which is very successful with a limited amount of products, is located at http://store.thaivisa.com

If you have ideas for products you would like to have, please let us know here!

Thanks! :D

Ha ha.......checked your store.....now I understand why you ask for more products :-)

But is it only non-food you can sell ??

Pool accesories........cleaners....toys....decorations

XL condoms :)

We are looking for everything that is possible. We can not sell fresh foods (storage issues, freshness issues etc). Let the ideas come!

Many canned or jarred food products have a multi year shelf life. Are you saying food products are OK to recommend?

It seems there are enough "wants" and "must have" food products to start up a wee supermaket business somewhere in BKK...(or anywhere else for that matter).....including mail order via a website....stock could be imported by many means....returning ex pats following a visit home at Xmas perhaps...through the normal seafreight channels......any further thoughts Pm me

Like several people have said before, many of the products are available, if you know where to look and are willing to travel to stock up on them.

The only things I want, which I've not been able to find in Thailand, are Twiglets and Atora suet.

Good luck with the online shop. It's definitely something I'd want to use.

walkers crisps and irn bru

Tops supermarket at Central Pin Klao for the walkers crisps, 2 or 3 different flavours.

Irun Bru, I have never seen in Bangkok.

I miss Sports Mixtures, usually stock up on them when I go back to Scotland, and I am going back in a couple of weeks so will buy a couple of kg of them.

FD

Now you have rekindled an old topic, l say again, REAL ALE. :crying:

Thailand can hardly be blamed for low quality beer. Afterall, Thailand has, unfortunately, followed many USA ideas.

It's common knowledge that the USA has only very recently realised what 'beer' is. The same goes for their wine...they've only recently discovered what real wine is.

With any luck, they will 'follow through' their recent learning curve with the Metric System. :P

Edited by elkangorito

Thailand can hardly be blamed for low quality beer. Afterall, Thailand has, unfortunately, followed many USA ideas.

It's common knowledge that the USA has only very recently realised what 'beer' is. The same goes for their wine...they've only recently discovered what real wine is.

With any luck, they will 'follow through' their recent learning curve with the Metric System. :P

What a ridiculous comment about USA wine; among the best in the world without any doubt. Beerwise, yeah, mostly it's bad there. And yes, Thailand CAN be blamed for its low quality beer. What's up with blaming the USA for Thai beer. Again, ridiculous.

Edited by Jingthing

What a ridiculous comment about USA wine; among the best in the world without any doubt. Beerwise, yeah, mostly it's bad there. And yes, Thailand CAN be blamed for its low quality beer. What's up with blaming the USA for Thai beer. Again, ridiculous.

When it comes to wine, the world tends to be divided. Personally, I love the rich wines packed with flavours from California. Some of tastiest, oakiest most buttery Chardonnay's from this region are nothing but heavenly. Beerwise, the americans are in a lower league than Thailand. Americans simply suck at brewing beer. Period. And whatever you do, please dont start an argument on this one...

English beer is awesome, especially some of the ales. But above all products, there are two things I dearly miss from England - Apples and Sausages!

I simply cant understand why England is not more famous for it's apples and sausages. Oohh...it's coming back to me now...Kent & Sons (butchers) on St.Johns Wood High Street....saturday morning....a couple of sausages..back home and prepare the sausages for breakfast...oh my..!!!

Edited by Forethat

Not arguing. Mass market American beer is quite poor. There are good American beers, mostly micro-breweries, and their market share is growing. It's not a matter of not being able to brew good beer, more of a cultural/big business thing that has steered the masses toward the crap.

Not arguing. Mass market American beer is quite poor. There are good American beers, mostly micro-breweries, and their market share is growing. It's not a matter of not being able to brew good beer, more of a cultural/big business thing that has steered the masses toward the crap.

Exactly the same situation in the UK regarding beer. Huge marketing of rubbish like Stella or Carling when there is inevitably a decent pub round the corner selling great locally brewed beer. Sad state of affairs indeed.

Exactly the same situation in the UK regarding beer. Huge marketing of rubbish like Stella or Carling when there is inevitably a decent pub round the corner selling great locally brewed beer. Sad state of affairs indeed.

What really makes me almost cry is people drinking CHANG beer in the UK!!! Unbelievable...

When in Thailand I only really miss real ale and Maynards Wine Gums (although they taste funny in the heat if you bring them over).

When in the UK the list of Thai stuff I miss is much longer, including:

All snack foods, which IMHO are univerally better in Thailand than the UK, including crisps (Lays vs Walkers, where you get approx 5 oily crisps in an overpriced bag)

Koh Kae Coconut peanuts

Pomelos.

Thai pineapples (why do UK supermarkets sell totally inferior non-Thai varieties?)

Tipco orange juice

Bowl instant noodles.

All of the above are available in Thai stores in the UK though of course.

Lunch was fish and chips in Adnams beer batter washed down with a couple of pints of Explorer...

Sounds lovely. I had lamb shank followed by four pints of Harviestoun Bitter and Twisted....better on a hot sunny day but beggars can't be choosers!!:)

How about wine ?? In Oz you can order on line and have it delivered at great prices.

Not that it is relevant to an on-line purchase but it would be so nice to have a decent deli and bakery in a nationwide chain store.

MMMMMM ...mile high smoked beef on rye with pickles and mustard...and a pint of Guinness

Some other "nice to have" non perishables for on line:

-Birds custard powder

-Pickles whole, sliced, Military pickle, mustard pickle,pickled onions..

-canned salmon

-Malt vinegar

-Cranberry sauce

-Maple syrup

-mustard powder

-canned double cream

-smoked oysters

-cheeses

-BIG bars of chocolate dark and milk, chocolate chips etc that don't taste like palm oil mixed with cocoa

-and what about decent heavy stainless cookware...brought ours from Canada bought in The Bay

-old fashioned cranking, counter-top clamp on meat grinder...the sound of wifey chopping meat for soup and burgers etc drives me nuts!

-tools

-"dollar store" stuff

the list goes on..

some available in major city stores and Malaysia.. agreed... but that is not what the thread is about methinks..good luck with the store..it'll fly if the prices are reasonable... :rolleyes:

Agreed.

<deleted>, Fosters!!??? What's up with that???

Like several people have said before, many of the products are available, if you know where to look and are willing to travel to stock up on them.

OK, where is the Dr. Pepper? And, while we're at it, find me the Pace Pecante Sauce (Hot) while you're at it.

Cheese

(Who needs anything else?!?)

Cornbread mix

Cornbread stuffing mix

Chocolate pudding mix

masa for tamales and tortillas

cornmeal

biscuit mix (or ready to bake)

pinto beans

really good chili mix (just add meat)

All of the dried Mexican peppers

frozen pie shells

Yes, you can search for some of these, but I would like to see them in most of the large stores.

someones probably already written this in the previous 10 pages I can't be bothered to trawl through, but living in Thailand make me miss all the things I NEVER wanted back home. Thailand has a million varieties of instant noodles - but POT NOODLES? where are they? wouldn't touch them with a barge pole back home, doesn't anyone know if they can be bought anywhere in Thailand?

You can read about them here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_Noodles to clear up any confusion.

• 1 year later...