Bangkok set to get tough with motorcyclists on the sidewalks - public urged to call 1555 to complain

rooster59

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

I can see that it might take you a while longer to fully integrate into the Thai way of life.

And you think it's ok ,and I have been here 12 years ,have you integrated with Thais ,are you from a backwards country because that would make it easier to integrate 

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

Especially in Chinatown they all do it.

But also cars park on the roads everywhere, it's the most lawless place of BKK, total mayhem on the streets. NO FUN to walk around for shopping.

I won't call the number, sure they can't speak english since nobody at the government can.

When do the riverboats get lifevests? Also that never happened and they are still overloaded.

They  are under the seats.

1 hour ago, whatproblem said:

And you think it's ok ,and I have been here 12 years ,have you integrated with Thais ,are you from a backwards country because that would make it easier to integrate 

Such a big bite from so little bait!    :shock1::passifier:

7 hours ago, stephenterry said:

If you think this is bad, don't visit Hanoi.

No comparison. In Hanoi it is not possible to walk on the pavements, let alone ride, as they are used to park motorcycles. Those parked in the road get removed by the police. And, yes, it does mean you have to walk in the road a lot of the time....

9 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

It would also be excellent if Pattaya followed suit in banning motorcycles from the pavement on the seaward side of beach road, I have noticed more & more motorcycles going up & down beach road on the walkway which is already crowded with Chinese tourists waiting to board speed boats to the island etc. what is more concerning is that the life guards are also going up & down the walkway on motorcycles and therefore do not say anything to the other bike riders, who even ride past the Police station on Soi 9 where I have seen police stopping motorcyclists even when riding with helmets on along beach road but turning a blind eye to the bike riders on the walkway.

Ditto for Chiang Mai.

12 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Put tables and chairs in the road to stop parking = 10,000 baht.

I see the logic.

I love this post..   the vendors have totally taken over the sidewalks. motorbikes cant go their anyway.  people have to walk in street to get around.   i remember about 6 yrs ago on ko sarn area . the cops did do a clean up run of the vendors on the sidewalks .but haven't seen it since.  maybe they are making money from it? 

11 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Isn't it ironic that the number for you to call is nueng, Ha! Ha! Ha!  Which is probably the response you would get if any one would ever answer the phone.

Judging by the huge number of complaints that have been received. according to the report, apparently that is not the response you'd get, do you not understand the content of the article? 

22 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

It would also be excellent if Pattaya followed suit in banning motorcycles from the pavement on the seaward side of beach road, I have noticed more & more motorcycles going up & down beach road on the walkway which is already crowded with Chinese tourists waiting to board speed boats to the island etc. what is more concerning is that the life guards are also going up & down the walkway on motorcycles and therefore do not say anything to the other bike riders, who even ride past the Police station on Soi 9 where I have seen police stopping motorcyclists even when riding with helmets on along beach road but turning a blind eye to the bike riders on the walkway.

YES...and going the wrong way on one-way sois! :post-4641-1156693976:

"... the main problem areas were Sukhumvit Road, Lat Prao Road, Rama IV and Jaran Sanitwong Road..."

These idiots have never been to Silom/Sathorn areas? It's just as bad - not enough watching out for traffic on the main roads, you have to watch out for these two-wheeled pests using the pavements as toll-free expressways.

More hot air here. As one poster pointed out earlier, this (threat of action) has been ongoing for years, yet the sidewalks are still the motorway for motorcycles. And now the stupid brown idiots want us to do their work for them. Can't be arsed to do their own work, can they? Or maybe the word 'enforcement' does not have a Thai equivalent.

Edited by outsider

Motocy's use the sidewalk when there's total gridlock on the roads...that's they real issue.

Gridlock happens when cars just park on the road or switch lanes nonstop, then they can't drive inbetween the cars.

Wearing a black shirt on a motocy in full sun is very hot, inhaling the fumes of the stinky buses is even very dangerous.

So give motocycles a place on the road and the problem is over. Also let them use the bridges again. Big cars don't belong in a city, motocy's and bicycles do.

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

Motocy's use the sidewalk when there's total gridlock on the roads...that's they real issue.

Gridlock happens when cars just park on the road or switch lanes nonstop, then they can't drive inbetween the cars.

Wearing a black shirt on a motocy in full sun is very hot, inhaling the fumes of the stinky buses is even very dangerous.

So give motocycles a place on the road and the problem is over. Also let them use the bridges again. Big cars don't belong in a city, motocy's and bicycles do.

Regardless...motorcys DO NOT belong on sidewalks/footpaths PERIOD. Infrastructure aside...the illegal practice is extremely dangerous to pedestrians. 

Most are there out of pure laziness to make a proper U-turn or follow the correct direction of ONE WAY roads. :post-4641-1156693976:

13 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Regardless...motorcys DO NOT belong on sidewalks/footpaths PERIOD. Infrastructure aside...the illegal practice is extremely dangerous to pedestrians. 

Most are there out of pure laziness to make a proper U-turn or follow the correct direction of ONE WAY roads. :post-4641-1156693976:

Taxi's and minivans DON'T belong to be parked on the road...but they do it anyway since the police let them do so.

The left lanes are for motocy's but if those are blocked they take the sidewalks since there's space to ride.

I had my motorbike towed for parking on the sidewalk last month. Pain in the neck to find it because it wasn't at the nearby Bang Su police station, they suggested maybe the Phayathai station, not there, but suggested way over in Bang Su the traffic police or something, not there, but they suggested the Phayathai District Office, where in fact it was. At each stop takes searching the parking lots and impoundment areas to look for it.  Cost 2,000 and a bunch of hours. 

I don't park on the sidewalks anymore. Of course I still see it, but don't need the headache again. 

over at lat prao station MRT, I noticed they actually have a bicycle/motorcy  lane right in the middle of the sidewalk. 

whomever the mafia that controls the motorcy taxis, could get them some toliets, and a decent win, maybe they'd not see every sidewalk as theirs to do with as they like. 

• 2 weeks later...