Hospital Quote

junglechef

Had GF call a local hospital who's first word of it's name starts with a "B" and ends with a "angkok".

Asked for a quote on a MRI and they asked if it was for a Thai or not.

She said want for both, was told 9,900 bht or Thai, 12,300 for non-Thai.

Asked why, they replied "I don't know"

re

9,900 bht or Thai, 12,300

admitedly a few years ago ! 

but in 07 i had an mri brain scan at ram after a stroke :(

i as given a nurse to guide me and stay with me everywhere i had to

go for two hours 

i saw a doctor at start and finnish who explained the results to me

and came away with a ton of pills from their pharmacy and the bill

was about 6500 ish for the lot

so just for the mri scan your quote seems a lot !

dave2... still taking four pills a day !  

chiang mai ram hospital 23 june 09 2006_01010128.JPG

Wages and equipment prices have gone up in past few years., thats a given and we expect a realistic increase in cost for most items and services.

Then We have the tourist mininistry talking Thai medical hub,  Thai monks cure for cancer, etc. Perhaps the billing, accountants, private hospital share holders/owners believe the propoganda put out by TAT so they felt the increases in demand will tolerate another hefty price increase

I could hardly believe the present charge for child birth, I was told about, at ram as our children were born there 20 odd years ago for what I considered a pittance at the time.

2 hours ago, dave2 said:

re

go for two hours 

It is impossible to compare prices when one is 9 years old ! 

3 hours ago, dave2 said:

re

go for two hours 

Seems the thread has gone from Dual Pricing to comparing pricing of now from the past.

If one wants comparing prices from the two hospitals Ram was also called.

The quoted 9,600 bht for any human, didn't ask about animals or little green men from out of space.

Ram also quoted 3600 for dye if necessary, BCM 6000-8000 bht and I'd bet on which end of the scale I'd be charged. 

Ear or Brain MRI same price at Ram 

Ear 3,300 more for non-Thai (quote in OP)

Brain 12,300 for Thai, 16,500 for non-Thai (4200 bht more for non-Thai)

I was honestly hoping for someone to tell me that the Government subsidies Thai citizens or some other plausible explantation.

As for things were cheaper years ago, well duh :saai: 

The dual pricing is fair enough for something like this.

it was always my assumption that the Thai Govt subsidises its own citizens as they are not always in a position to pay full whack.

If you say the real cost is somewhere between the Thai price and the visitor price then I dont have a problem with that; and honestly no one else should.

its better than them saying "do one" and you have to find 25k baht for a flight home to sort it yourself...surely?

8 hours ago, junglechef said:

Asked why, they replied "I don't know"

My brother was part owner of an auto repair shop for awhile. On one side they worked on Hondas on the other BMWs, same guys doing all the labor, BMW labor charge was 15 bucks an hour higher than for the Hondas. Simple business.They charge more cuz they can.

3 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Accredited? They seem not to say. The reason I ask is because having an MRI in itself is not the key part, being able to assemble the scans correctly is.

I was referred by a doctor.  I also received all the pictures and reports.  I had surgery (arthroscopy)  based on the MRI I got there.

Anyway, all I offered was to give them a call.  The question by the OP seemed to be about dual pricing.  Call the place and see if they have dual pricing.  I am sure one could also ask all the other questions one may have.

17 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

The dual pricing is fair enough for something like this.

it was always my assumption that the Thai Govt subsidises its own citizens as they are not always in a position to pay full whack.

If you say the real cost is somewhere between the Thai price and the visitor price then I dont have a problem with that; and honestly no one else should.

its better than them saying "do one" and you have to find 25k baht for a flight home to sort it yourself...surely?

Thanks for telling me what I shouldn't have a problem with, before hand I did and but now you've made me feel better about it - NOT!

17 hours ago, hml367 said:

I was referred by a doctor.  I also received all the pictures and reports.  I had surgery (arthroscopy)  based on the MRI I got there.

Anyway, all I offered was to give them a call.  The question by the OP seemed to be about dual pricing.  Call the place and see if they have dual pricing.  I am sure one could also ask all the other questions one may have.

btw, OP here, it's for a Thai so just really pointing it out for the sake of discussion BUT I will go to the one w/o dual pricing because of past experiences with "confusing" pricing at the other. 

As for Chiang Mai MRI north of town in Dawn Kaew, I went there last year as recommended by my doctor prior to knee surgery.  The staff at CM-MRI provide a full set of films, a CD of the same, and a written analysis of the exam. 

It did the job for me, and was accepted as proof by my insurance company for their covering the cost of the operation.  (However, because I have in-patient coverage only, the insurance company did not reimburse the cost of the MRI which was about 8,000 baht--even though they required it in making a decision on the coverage for the surgery!)

7 hours ago, junglechef said:

Thanks for telling me what I shouldn't have a problem with, before hand I did and but now you've made me feel better about it - NOT!

So you have a problem with dual pricing......well get over it, you dont make the rules here.

9 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

So you have a problem with dual pricing......well get over it, you dont make the rules here.

First you tell me what not to have a problem with and I replied that that didn't make me feel better and now again telling me to get over it.

You leave me speechless, well that probably would never happen, but your the one who should be!

Your welcome to enjoy the pleasures of dual pricing, overcharging, incorrect change, hidden costs, misquotes etc. but telling me I should join you when I've made it obviously clear that I don't care for such practices is .... well perhaps I'm not speechless but I am at a loss for words.

As for me making or not making the rules, well guess what, your wrong again!

I do make the rules of where to give my business too, and I choose to go to the ones with transparent and forthcoming business philosophies.

20 hours ago, Greenside said:

The question here is surely whether BKK Hospital as a private business receives subsidies?

I'm fairly certain it does. About 8 months ago, our housekeeper took her child to the clinic and they recommended hospitalization and IV, respiratory therapy, etc. for a high fever and bad cough. All pediatric wings at the hospitals under the social security plan were full (Lanna, Mc Cormick, Suan Dok, etc.). They were sent to Bangkok Hospital where the child was hospitalized 4 days and the government paid for everything.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that seems more like contracting the care out since the child was covered by the 30 baht plan (as my wife still calls it) and the government would pick up the care bill but I think not the medication if any.  The way I read it is that Mahidol University is a teaching hospital and, maybe because of that, gets support from the government along with either the choice or obligation to recoup some of the funds being spent on facilities for non-nationals which is right and proper.

Whatever the case, BKK Hospital would do well to follow the example of Mahidol and properly explain the reasons for the dual pricing on their website which would put a quick end to the kind of speculation that we indulge in.

2 hours ago, Greenside said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that seems more like contracting the care out since the child was covered by the 30 baht plan (as my wife still calls it) and the government would pick up the care bill but I think not the medication if any.  The way I read it is that Mahidol University is a teaching hospital and, maybe because of that, gets support from the government along with either the choice or obligation to recoup some of the funds being spent on facilities for non-nationals which is right and proper.

Whatever the case, BKK Hospital would do well to follow the example of Mahidol and properly explain the reasons for the dual pricing on their website which would put a quick end to the kind of speculation that we indulge in.

No speculation at all, my GF asked the girl who answered the phone and she said she didn't know, so obviously they, like us, don't know either

1 hour ago, junglechef said:

No speculation at all, my GF asked the girl who answered the phone and she said she didn't know, so obviously they, like us, don't know either

Yes, I too always rely on the girl who answers the phone for definitive accurate information representing accuratly the whole organizations knowledge and understanding.:sleep:

10 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Yes, I too always rely on the girl who answers the phone for definitive accurate information representing accuratly the whole organizations knowledge and understanding.:sleep:

Two sarcastic comments don't make sincerity  :sleepy:

Edited by junglechef