Work rotation and family issues have caused me to exceed 3 visa exempt entries during the last 6 months, IO advised on last entry to obtain proper visa, as I only had 4 days in Thailand I did not have enough time to do this. My current situation is that I work overseas on 28/28 rotation and have been entering Thailand for the last 10 years on visa exempt basis, I currently plan to retire by Oct 2017 and until then will be continuing with 28/28 rotation. I am due back in Thailand end of Dec and plan to use my 2nd passport for a visa exempt entry (does anybody see any issue with this?) then during this time obtain a proper visa. My dilemma is what are the options (I am officially married to Thai national), can I do the process in country or do I need to travel out of country?

most likely you will not get denied, but IO will ask you to show reason for your stay.

You can enter on your second passport, the system link the names and IO can see your history, but the system alarm is set on passport numbers, hence you will have no problem entering

and alarm will not come up.

If time permit I would suggest you follow advise from Elviajero and consider the Multiple Entry Non O from Savannakhet/Laos.

The Single Entry Non O and the extension process is a headache if you have only limited time available.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, elviajero said:
  • Even though you've had a warning it's highly unlikely you would be denied entry next time.
  • Passports get linked by Name/DOB so using a second passport is unlikely to hide the previous entries from the IO.
  1. You could get a Single Entry Non Immigrant 'O' Visa, based on being married, from a embassy/consulate outside Thailand. When you enter the country you'll get permission to stay for 90 days and during the last 30 (maybe 45) days you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay. You will need to provide a certified (by your embassy) income of at least 40K baht pm, or have 400K in a Thai bank for 2 months before applying. You can buy a re-entry permit for 3,800 baht that would allow you to come and go.
  2. You could get a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant 'O' visa from Savannakhet, Laos. No financial proof required. It will be valid for 1 year from the issue date and allow you to enter as often as you want during that year. The maximum you can stay per entry is 90 days. If you retire during or before the last entry with this visa, which it appears you will, you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage (or retirement) by meeting the financial requirements.

I would think the easiest thing for you to do for now would be to make a quick trip to get a ME Non 'O' (2.), and then apply for an extension when you retire.

The problem that 28/28 workers face is you have not the time to get a marriage extension due to the 30 days under review issue.. and your sent from job to home making 3rd country single visa applications a bigger issue than it is for someone free to travel. 

• Like 2

During your next 28 days here do a couple of days in Penang and get a one year multi O.

Show bank book with 400,000 baht, copy of front and last page, copy of wife's ID, copy of wife's house book, two photos, copy of front of passport. Apply in the morning and pick up next afternoon. 750 Ringgit.

Make it a two night holiday/break. I think it's better than Sav' . Try to avoid Monday and Thursday, it's busy with Phucket tourists.

Gives you 90 days each time you enter and takes you through to next year when you can go for extension.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, overherebc said:

During your next 28 days here do a couple of days in Penang and get a one year multi O.

Show bank book with 400,000 baht, copy of front and last page, copy of wife's ID, copy of wife's house book, two photos, copy of front of passport. Apply in the morning and pick up next afternoon. 750 Ringgit.

Make it a two night holiday/break. I think it's better than Sav' . Try to avoid Monday and Thursday, it's busy with Phucket tourists.

Gives you 90 days each time you enter and takes you through to next year when you can go for extension.

That depends upon where he is living. Savannakhet mighty be a better location for him.

Also why show the money in the bank if you don't have to.

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

The problem that 28/28 workers face is you have not the time to get a marriage extension due to the 30 days under review issue.. and your sent from job to home making 3rd country single visa applications a bigger issue than it is for someone free to travel. 

Whats the 30 days under review issue? I work on a 3 on 1 off rotation and was hoping to start marriage visas next year

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That depends upon where he is living. Savannakhet mighty be a better location for him.

Also why show the money in the bank if you don't have to.

Wheres is a good online guide to the marriage visa process? so i dont have to keep asking questions on here. 

9 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

Whats the 30 days under review issue? I work on a 3 on 1 off rotation and was hoping to start marriage visas next year

That is a under consideration period after you apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration. Your best option would be a multiple entry non-o vsi based upon marriage.

6 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

Wheres is a good online guide to the marriage visa process? so i dont have to keep asking questions on here. 

Not hard to apply for a multiple entry non-o visa In Savannakhet Laos. Just marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card. Apply morning of one day and pickup the next afternoon.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

That is a under consideration period after you apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration. Your best option would be a multiple entry non-o vsi based upon marriage.

Not hard to apply for a multiple entry non-o visa In Savannakhet Laos. Just marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card. Apply morning of one day and pickup the next afternoon.

Yes not hard to apply I just thought there might be a page with the process and requirements all listed so i could get the whole thing crystal clear. 

Anyway, I understand it goes like this....

●I fly into Laos and go to savannakhet with copies of wifes documents and 400k in thai account. This needs to be in there for 2 months everywhere else except for savannakhet.

Apply for non o multiple entry based on marriage and pick it up next day.

I assume this lasts a year.

● so for the next year i do my holidays with this visa getting re entry permits each time before i leave.

● before it expires i get a multiple entry extension of 1 year basically the same way i got the visa except it takes 30 days because of under consideration period (i dont think im understanding this correctly).

● continue on with the re entry permits and holidays as before. i wont need to do 90 day reports or anything as i dont get to 90 days.

Or were you saying I could avoid the 30 day consideration period by letting the non o expire and just getting a new non o each time instead of getting it extended?

Thanks ubonjoe

52 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

Yes not hard to apply I just thought there might be a page with the process and requirements all listed so i could get the whole thing crystal clear. 

●I fly into Laos and go to savannakhet with copies of wifes documents and 400k in thai account. This needs to be in there for 2 months everywhere else except for savannakhet.

● so for the next year i do my holidays with this visa getting re entry permits each time before i leave.

● before it expires i get a multiple entry extension of 1 year basically the same way i got the visa except it takes 30 days because of under consideration period (i dont think im understanding this correctly).

● continue on with the re entry permits and holidays as before. i wont need to do 90 day reports or anything as i dont get to 90 days.

Or were you saying I could avoid the 30 day consideration period by letting the non o expire and just getting a new non o each time instead of getting it extended?

Thanks ubonjoe

Not quite.

you don't need the re entry permits as the visa is multiple entry, until the last entry before the visa expires. You can potentially get 17 months (including extending the last entry by 60 days)

The problem you may have with the extension of stay depends on timing.

you can't apply until there is between 45 and 30 days left on the permission to stay stamp (depending on the immigration office) you will have a 30day under consideration stamp that will probably run from the expiration of that permission to stay stamp (the immigration office I have to use does this). This means that the consideration period can be up to 75 days. You can get 1 or 2 re entry permits that cover that period.

I thought of doing this process last year but the period from entry on December 25 to final departure on April 5 was too short to be sure of getting the 1 year extension.

your timeline may be better than mine is

Edited by sometimewoodworker

33 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

Thanks ubonjoe

Flying direct to Savannakhet is costly and the flight schedule is not good. It arrives to late to apply on the date of arrival and leaves to early to pickup up your passport. Best to use the fly ride service on Nok Air to Mukdahan. See: http://nokair.com/content/en/destinations/fly-n-ride/Ubon-Ratchathani-mukdahan.aspx

You do not need any money in the bank to apply for the visa in Savannakhet.

A multiple entry non-o visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

Once the visa expires you could apply for another one if you are still working on a rotation.

You could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of any ot the 90 day entries from the visa. That is when you will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.  

If 50 or over you could apply for a extension based upon retirement and there would be no 30 day under consideration period. It requires 800k baht in the bank or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

For either extension you would need a re-entry permit to keep it valid. A single re-entry permit costs 1000 baht and a multiple 3800 baht.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

This confuses me now to Ubonjoe. If I have an extension to stay based upon marriage and a multi-entry visa no problem coming back and forth on a 28 /28 Work Rotation for as long as my extension is valid.

But on my last month I need to reapply for a new extension based on marriage and also a new multi-entry visa once I have that. If I can only stay in Thailand for 26 days (2 days travel time to work) and a extension to stay is under review for 30 days, how can I get my extension to stay based on marriage and then also my multi-entry visa before I have to leave Thailand to go to work again?

So can I leave Thailand while my extension to stay based on marriage is still valid and the new one is under the 30 day review, and when I re-enter have my new extension and apply for a new Multi-entry visa? Or how could I do this as I would never be in Thailand long enough to wait for this 30 day review?

Is a Extension to stay Based Retirement faster to get your first time over the 30 day review for one based on marriage, or are they the same?      . 

2 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I think i will just get a lawyer to do it all.

A lawyer won't be able to get a ME Visa for you. They could help with applying for an extension of stay, but it's a waste of money. You can find out everything you need to know from the experts on this forum. Some of which are better informed than some lawyers.

• Like 2

^ spot on, you can do savanakhet for ME for all in at about 10,000Baht including travel hotel ME fee and lao visa fee.

All you need is download and print application form and lao visa on arrival form which you will find on this forum (search savanakhet) photo copy other docs and sign and have original marriage certificate and you done, it doesn't get any easier, a lawyer will be massive ballache and massive waste of money.

Even the border and commute between mukdahan and savanakhet is as easy as can get if do bit of research.

here's couple links get you started.

You best learning this now as thai lawyers will leave you short on cash and potentially with lost passport or a dodgy visa which can bite you in butt big time. ME for marriage is so easy & so cheap absolute no need go lawyer root as just making it harder and slower and more expensive. Walk in Lawyers and yes everything no problem easy peazy lemon squeezy boss, won't be like that though I can promise you :-) get up to speed on vasas and do it yourself, lawyers here are useless unless need hooky services.

I was warned by an IO that I needed a visa, rather than using visa exempts, last year. I go 4 times a year, plus entries after visits to surrounding countries. I just make sure I have a flight ticket out and the equivalent of 20,000 baht. No warnings since. Occasionally an IO asks to see the ticket out. 

So I got quoted 35,000 baht to take care of this marriage visa thing. This was by one of the cheaper thai law offices in bkk. So I will have to learn all the ins and outs.

There seems to be a bit more to it than has already been written above (NB attached pic).

Is there really no link or sticky thread to look at for this? As all I have is some incomplete looking webpage with some bits and pieces on it. If I am going to fly to savannakhet I really need an up to date checklist of stuff to take.

Should I start a new thread or ask here? hijacking threads is probably breaking a rule

Studio_20161213_212202.jpg

25 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

It's the first time I've seen reference to:

3.1 a tax certificate - what is it?

And

3.4 a "certified" letter from the bank? Is this different from the normal bank letter/statement?

With best regards

Colin

That would be needed if a person was using their income from working to  meet the 40k baht income requirement.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

So I got quoted 35,000 baht to take care of this marriage visa thing. This was by one of the cheaper thai law offices in bkk. So I will have to learn all the ins and outs.

There seems to be a bit more to it than has already been written above (NB attached pic).

Is there really no link or sticky thread to look at for this? As all I have is some incomplete looking webpage with some bits and pieces on it. If I am going to fly to savannakhet I really need an up to date checklist of stuff to take.

Should I start a new thread or ask here? hijacking threads is probably breaking a rule

Those are the requirements to apply for an extension of stay at immigration not a visa.

For a multiple entry non-o visa at Savannakhet all you need is your marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

No financial proof is needed.

There are many topics that state what I have listed is all that is needed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

Even for money outside the country? Where can I find out about it?

The tax document is only need if working here in the country with a work permit and etc.

For income from outside the country you need a letter from your embassy to prove the 40k baht income.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2016 at 6:15 PM, ubonjoe said:

Once the visa expires you could apply for another one if you are still working on a rotation.

So I can keep getting the visas and forego the extension and the additional requirements that come with extensions? Particularly the address thing and pictures. As it seems to assert that you MUST live together with your wife where she has her tabian baan. My gf doesnt live where her tabian ban states as she gets dirt cheap accomodation through work and I don't live there either. We could go to the tabian ban property and take pictures together and all the rest but it would be BS.

Really if thats the case then why wouldn't someone want to keep getting new visa and forego the 30 day consideration thing and extra requirements that the extension has?

Im thinking the extension thing mighn't be workable for me. If I cant get to renew the extension in the last 30 days before expiry then it is kaput.

If I understand correctly 1 yr multiple entry O I won't need rentry permits but single entry 90 day I would? 

Where can I download the required forms for savannakhet multiple entry and how much does it cost?

8 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

So I can keep getting the visas and forego the extension and the additional requirements that come with extensions? Particularly the address thing and pictures. As it seems to assert that you MUST live together with your wife where she has her tabian baan. My gf doesnt live where her tabian ban states as she gets dirt cheap accomodation through work and I don't live there either. We could go to the tabian ban property and take pictures together and all the rest but it would be BS.

Really if thats the case then why wouldn't someone want to keep getting new visa and forego the 30 day consideration thing and extra requirements that the extension has?

Im thinking the extension thing mighn't be workable for me. If I cant get to renew the extension in the last 30 days before expiry then it is kaput.

If I understand correctly 1 yr multiple entry O I won't need rentry permits but single entry 90 day I would? 

Where can I download the required forms for savannakhet multiple entry and how much does it cost?

You don't have to be living where your wife's house book is for.

If you have a multiple entry non-o visa you don't need a re-entry permit. A single entry non-o only gives one 90 day entry.

A re-entry permit is only needed for an extension of stay.

• Like 1