Gear Box Issue / Lesson for car owners

Steps

Hi,

I took my pickup to a local garage a year and a half ago to get a full service including changing all the oils. When the guy was undoing the sump nut for the gearbox oil, the clumsy bugger doped it into the drainage drum which went straight down the pipe. The guy got another nut from a box of spare parts which he had top wrap with pluming tape and i asked him to get the nut for me at a later date as i would be back to the garage again for more work in the near future (He never did get it for me).

So after a year and a half the oil has slowly drained to the point where i did not have anything left in the gearbox. About 4 weeks ago, third gear started making a noise when driving. Then the gear stick started popping out of third, then fifth. Then it became a bit of a challenge to get it into third. I finally got around to taking it to the same garage to get a servie done and mentioned that i wanted him to check the gear box oil. He did not do this! So on the way back from Bangkok last week i could not get the gear into fourth and it is a challenge to get it into third. I took it back to the same garage today where i finally found out what i knew, that it was dry. The boss wasn't there so i got the lads to fill it up and put a different nut on it which is still no better. I still cant get the dam thing into fourth and so pissed off without paying them anything except for telling them that i would be in touch to speak to the owner. I have been to see another garage and will leave the car for inspection.

Does anybody have any ideas? Will this need fourth replacing or is this a full gear box. My truck is a Mazda 4x4 5 speed, 10 years old. Any idea on cost for a gear box for one of these things?

The moral to this story for car owners and wana be car owners is this: If you want any work doing to your car, you've got to stand there and direct the mechanics exactly how you want it doing. I say this because i have had more than a few jobs done at various garages and i seem to go in with a job and come out with a job or 2. Work is never completed or something is usually missed or left. If you dont know much about cars, speak to somebody who does that can help you generate a list of work that might need doing so you have an idea of what they should be doing because if you leave it to them, they will do the bare necessity. Im sure i could add more to this but im gonna leave it there for now.

Incompetence is the word for today!

How many kilometers on the transmission? 

Popping out of gear like you describe is very likely to need a simple overhaul, but as you have now learned, good mechanics in thailand are very few. 

Having difficulty getting it to go into gear (and popping out) is likely worn synchro & dog teeth on 3rd & 4th gear. Im not sure how your particular trans is setup in relation to what gears share what shaft but yeah sounds like an overhaul is whats needed. 

10 year old truck, second hand transmission, ill take a stab and say 15k baht installed probably 20k. No reason to get a brand new tranny on a 10 year old truck. Manual transmissions are stone cold simple to swap. Can be done in 2 days easily. 

you have burned the rings on the syncros .it why is hard to select gears . as for the jumping out of gears is because the box has been over heated and the detent springs have lost there tension .

no quick fix , box will need an overhaul or replacement .

Edited by sirmud63

So you knew for more than a year that the wrong nut had been installed. Presumably where you park the car has oil on the ground?

Yet you just left it, never thought to check the level and top it up, never thought to go to mazda and order a 100b nut?

Now you probably have some gearbox damage, and now want to talk about the incompetence of the mechanic?!

PS Thread tape should only be used on tapered thread for sealing. 

Edited by jonw8uk

21 hours ago, Strange said:

How many kilometers on the transmission? 

Popping out of gear like you describe is very likely to need a simple overhaul, but as you have now learned, good mechanics in thailand are very few. 

Having difficulty getting it to go into gear (and popping out) is likely worn synchro & dog teeth on 3rd & 4th gear. Im not sure how your particular trans is setup in relation to what gears share what shaft but yeah sounds like an overhaul is whats needed. 

10 year old truck, second hand transmission, ill take a stab and say 15k baht installed probably 20k. No reason to get a brand new tranny on a 10 year old truck. Manual transmissions are stone cold simple to swap. Can be done in 2 days easily. 

Hi,

There are 160K on the clock. I took it down to another garage today so i will await the outcome

Thanks

11 hours ago, Don Mega said:

You never noticed any oil on the ground ?

No, it just had a wet patch of oil around the nut which was the top nut, not the drainage nut.

Should have, would have, could have at the end of the day. I'm just really pissed at the guy in the garage for not checking the oil during the service which would have prevented this. There where unspoken words on my behalf and yes i did leave things unsaid. Next time i am going to speak my mind every time. Lesson learned !

Holy cow man, the local car shop fit a wrongly threaded drain plug and now your gearbox is kaput after the oil has slowly sipped out. :sad:

Well well what can I say, I rather say nothing, you already had enough shit as it is.

It should be possible to source a 2nd hand gearbox, likely in greater Bangkok. A Thai friend of mine had a used gearbox fitted on an older Camry, the price was 15k baht incl fitting if memory serves me right.

1 hour ago, Steps said:

No, it just had a wet patch of oil around the nut which was the top nut, not the drainage nut.

Should have, would have, could have at the end of the day. I'm just really pissed at the guy in the garage for not checking the oil during the service which would have prevented this. There where unspoken words on my behalf and yes i did leave things unsaid. Next time i am going to speak my mind every time. Lesson learned !

so several  liters of il leak but none hit  the ground.

all righty then.

On most manual gearboxes there is an oil level plug.

You fill up the gearbox until oil just starts to run out of the oil level hole and then replace the level plug.

The fact the 'mechanic' put PTFE tape on the drain plug suggests to me that the replacement drain plug was probably the wrong thread.  So if you were rebuilding the original gearbox you would probably have to repair the threaded drain plug hole in the gearbox casing.  That would be a job for a good machine shop. 

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

On most manual gearboxes there is an oil level plug.

You fill up the gearbox until oil just starts to run out of the oil level hole and then replace the level plug.

The fact the 'mechanic' put PTFE tape on the drain plug suggests to me that the replacement drain plug was probably the wrong thread.  So if you were rebuilding the original gearbox you would probably have to repair the threaded drain plug hole in the gearbox casing.  That would be a job for a good machine shop. 

Or maybe araldite...TIT