Non-Immigrant ‘O’ Visa return ticket

l plan to retire in Thailand next year with my thai wife of 27 years, One of the things l have to show the consulate in Melbourne Australia for my Non-Immigrant ‘O’ Visa is my Flight itinerary or e-ticket entering Thailand and l presume leaving Thailand. This is my question. To save money on a return ticket to Australia could l have a one way to Bangkok and then a departure to say Vietnam. This would save about $200 that l would not loose when l get an extension based on marriage to stay.

Thanks

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

On the non - O application on the Canberra Embassy website, it asked for a copy of a return ticket/intinerary  into and out of Thailand.

The Perth consulate not only requests a return ticket they also ask for a booking number.

13 minutes ago, Will27 said:

On the non - O application on the Canberra Embassy website, it asked for a copy of a return ticket/intinerary  into and out of Thailand.

The Perth consulate not only requests a return ticket they also ask for a booking number.

What is written is not always want they actually want.The often show  the same requirements for all visas when in reality only a tourist visa application requires a return or onward ticket.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What is written is not always want they actually want.The often show the same requirements for all visas when in reality only a tourist visa application requires a return or onward ticket.

Thanks for that Joe.

Would that apply to ME applications as well?

I know Perth are getting quite strict in what they require.

9 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Thanks for that Joe.

Would that apply to ME applications as well?

I know Perth are getting quite strict in what they require.

What type of ME visa.

They would not require a return or onward ticket for a multiple entry non-o visa.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What type of ME visa.

They would not require a return or onward ticket for a multiple entry non-o visa.

It was a ME Non-Immi O visa based on marriage.

The Perth consulate wouldn't approve my application without a booking number,

which they checked online.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Was that for the flight to Thailand or a onward ticket?

They wanted a ticket for a flight in and out of Thailand.

From their website: A PHOTOCOPY OF AIRLINETICKET(E-ticket) confirming date of arrival and departure.

If there is a one way ticket A STATEMENT from traveller outlining travel plans in Thailand is required. Statement must give reason for one way ticket or travel exceeding visa period, proving and confirming the applicant understands the conditions of the visa.

On 12/11/2016 at 1:46 PM, ellathai said:

Just a wild guess they may want to see your leaving

Must be missing something here. When you arrive in Thailand to complete the marriage or retirement visa, most people expect to remain. Why would anybody want to see a return ticket? 

4 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Must be missing something here. When you arrive in Thailand to complete the marriage or retirement visa, most people expect to remain. Why would anybody want to see a return ticket? 

Your missing the fact there is no such thing as a 'marriage visa' or retirement visa'.

21 hours ago, ongot said:

Don't go to the Perth consulate the

Lady there is evil seems to make her

own rules

That's a bit harsh.

Perth isn't as easy to get a visa as it once was, but neither are most places I suspect.

Apart from the new information required, I find the staff there pretty good.

15 hours ago, cusanus said:

I would hazard a guess that most of them work on the old army principle of follow the last order given.

They are possibly not given enough information to deal with a situation that does not fit the simple rule, 'anyone flying to Thailand must have a visa and a return ticket'.

Even if they are given all the information they will probably ignore it because asking for a ticket and visa is easier than trying to understand something a bit different.

Compare it to going to a burger shop where 5 burgers are already made waiting for sale and you ask for one without pickle. You disturb the flow and cause problems.

Obviously it can also be the travelers fault for not being aware or finding the facts before travelling or complete ignorance on behalf of the traveler. 

I read a post once from a guy who asked if he needed a passport to go to Vietnam from USA because they had won the war. ( not on TV )

It's all part of the rich tapestry of international travel nowadays.

Edited by overherebc

No such thing as a marriage or retirement visa? hmm... Getting a retirement visa but "presumes" they'll require a return ticket to Australia? 

Look, Ellathai, don't presume anything, just follow the instructions which I presume are listed on their website. I'm not from down under, but here's the instructions listed per Chicago Thai consulate: http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/pages-Visa.html. These should be the same everywhere, and I presume you can get the 90 day O by mail in Australia as well. I seriously doubt anyone wants to see a return ticket. 

You will probably not require an exit ticket from Thailand for a Non O visa as was said above.

Certain Thai consulates in the world however will require exit tickets for Thailand for a 60 day Single Entry Tourist visa.

The Thai consulate in Ho Chi Minh City is one of them.

If you are getting a SETV from them they will probably want to see a Thai exit ticket or at least a confirmed itinery before issuing that SETV visa.

If you plan on getting a SETV from a Thai consulate in Asia, it would be wise to contact then first to get what their particular requirements are .

18 hours ago, cusanus said:

No such thing as a marriage or retirement visa? hmm... Getting a retirement visa but "presumes" they'll require a return ticket to Australia? 

Look, Ellathai, don't presume anything, just follow the instructions which I presume are listed on their website. I'm not from down under, but here's the instructions listed per Chicago Thai consulate: http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/pages-Visa.html. These should be the same everywhere, and I presume you can get the 90 day O by mail in Australia as well. I seriously doubt anyone wants to see a return ticket. 

What are you woffling on about????  Where did l say marriage or retirement visa???  Buy some glasses!!! Maybe even order them through the mail. Of couse l'm presuming you don't have any. l did check the website in Melbourne and that's why l played safe and asked. People like you are just plain nasty.

Geez

18 hours ago, ellathai said:

What are you woffling on about????  Where did l say marriage or retirement visa???  Buy some glasses!!! Maybe even order them through the mail. Of couse l'm presuming you don't have any. l did check the website in Melbourne and that's why l played safe and asked. People like you are just plain nasty.

Geez

Right you are. You didn't use the word visa, however...  "l plan to retire in Thailand next year with my thai wife of 27 years, One of the things l have to show the consulate in Melbourne Australia for my Non-Immigrant ‘O’ Visa is"  You're going to retire, but not get a retirement visa, you're married to a Thai, but don't want a marriage visa...  Just what in the blazes do you want a Non-Immigrant O for?  Geez Louise....

2 hours ago, cusanus said:

Right you are. You didn't use the word visa, however...  "l plan to retire in Thailand next year with my thai wife of 27 years, One of the things l have to show the consulate in Melbourne Australia for my Non-Immigrant ‘O’ Visa is"  You're going to retire, but not get a retirement visa, you're married to a Thai, but don't want a marriage visa...  Just what in the blazes do you want a Non-Immigrant O for?  Geez 

Your the only one reading to much into this, have some christmas cheer and settle down

16 minutes ago, ellathai said:
2 hours ago, cusanus said:

Right you are. You didn't use the word visa, however...  "l plan to retire in Thailand next year with my thai wife of 27 years, One of the things l have to show the consulate in Melbourne Australia for my Non-Immigrant ‘O’ Visa is"  You're going to retire, but not get a retirement visa, you're married to a Thai, but don't want a marriage visa...  Just what in the blazes do you want a Non-Immigrant O for?  Geez 

Your the only one reading to much into this, have some christmas cheer and settle down

I'm studying pottery right now. Every day is retirement bliss for me in Thailand with my gorgeous little Thai wife. But I'm still curious - what do you need the 90 day O for? 

8 minutes ago, cusanus said:

I'm studying pottery right now. Every day is retirement bliss for me in Thailand with my gorgeous little Thai wife. But I'm still curious - what do you need the 90 day O for? 

Alright. Merry Christmas to you and your wife.

Well l haven't made my mind up yet if l will get a retirement extension  or  extension based on marriage, l have heard the marriage is a lot more paperwork and l just want to slip into not working. Now as far as l understand it l have to arrive in Thailand on an o visa then apply for a extension after 2 months (First time) with the required amount of money in the bank.

4 hours ago, cusanus said:

Right you are. You didn't use the word visa, however...  "l plan to retire in Thailand next year with my thai wife of 27 years, One of the things l have to show the consulate in Melbourne Australia for my Non-Immigrant ‘O’ Visa is"  You're going to retire, but not get a retirement visa, you're married to a Thai, but don't want a marriage visa...  Just what in the blazes do you want a Non-Immigrant O for?  Geez Louise....

There is no 'Marriage Visa' as such.

As Ellathai is already married to a Thai and plans to retire in Thailand, he needs a Non Imm O Visa to enter Thailand, then he has the choice of obtaining an extension based on marriage or retirement from his local Immigration office.

You must hold a Non Imm type Visa to obtain an extension.

He has the choice of two Visas which will serve his purpose;

The Non Imm O SE 90 day Visa, or the Non Imm O 1 year ME Visa, which he qualifies for being married to a Thai.

Within the last 30 days of any of his 90 day permitted entries he can apply for the extension of his choice provided he meets the financial requirements.

An extension based on retirement requires 800,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank for a minimum of 2 months (first application only, thereafter 3 months) prior to the date of the application, or a monthly income of 65,000 baht, or a combination of the two. The extension is issued same day.

An extension based on marriage requires 400,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank for a minimum of 2 months prior to the date of application, or a monthly income of 40,000 baht. The extension application is placed under 'consideration' for 30 days, so two visits to Immigration are required.

2 hours ago, ellathai said:

Alright. Merry Christmas to you and your wife.

Well l haven't made my mind up yet if l will get a retirement extension  or  extension based on marriage, l have heard the marriage is a lot more paperwork and l just want to slip into not working. Now as far as l understand it l have to arrive in Thailand on an o visa then apply for a extension after 2 months (First time) with the required amount of money in the bank.

I've been in Thailand on a retirement visa for 11 years. Yes, you get the 90 day O first. You will need a bank deposit of 800,000 baht for two months OR income amounting to 65,000 baht for two months backed by a letter from the bank. Before the end of the 3rd month you take proof of that to Immigration to get the visa. The first time I needed a health checkup at RAM hospital as well and I think you might need to show proof of residence, at least you need that for the Thai driver's license. The driver's license is easy to get and well worth it if only to use as identificationand you don't need to pack around the passport. You're right, the marriage route requires only 400,000 baht (held jointly as I remember), but it's more involved and requires more checks and such, can't remember the details now but choose the retirement visa if you can do it. It's very easy to get all this done. Technically, you only need a tourist visa but that can cause serious problems, so get the non O first. I think you'll love it here, I sure do.  

43 minutes ago, dentonian said:

There is no 'Marriage Visa' as such.

As Ellathai is already married to a Thai and plans to retire in Thailand, he needs a Non Imm O Visa to enter Thailand, then he has the choice of obtaining an extension based on marriage or retirement from his local Immigration office.

You must hold a Non Imm type Visa to obtain an extension.

He has the choice of two Visas which will serve his purpose;

The Non Imm O SE 90 day Visa, or the Non Imm O 1 year ME Visa, which he qualifies for being married to a Thai.

Within the last 30 days of any of his 90 day permitted entries he can apply for the extension of his choice provided he meets the financial requirements.

An extension based on retirement requires 800,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank for a minimum of 2 months (first application only, thereafter 3 months) prior to the date of the application, or a monthly income of 65,000 baht, or a combination of the two. The extension is issued same day.

An extension based on marriage requires 400,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank for a minimum of 2 months prior to the date of application, or a monthly income of 40,000 baht. The extension application is placed under 'consideration' for 30 days, so two visits to Immigration are required.

So if l got a multi entry Non imm O l can apply for an extension say after the first 2 months of any exit/entry. Am l understanding that right?

6 minutes ago, ellathai said:

So if l got a multi entry Non imm O l can apply for an extension say after the first 2 months of any exit/entry. Am l understanding that right?

Yes, except why would you want a multi entry? You have a 90 day O, just sit tight for 60 days and get the bank letter and health certificate, then before 90 days are up go in and get the retirement extension (it's stamped/called a visa on my passport). If you do need to leave Thailand during that period, go to the Promenada office and get a re entry permit. You seem to think there's some requirement to leave Thailand, but there shouldn't be.