Where to Buy a Blood Pressure Monitor in Chiang Mai?

durian explorer

56 minutes ago, NancyL said:

My cardiologist at Bangkok Hospital -- recently retired from CMU -- insists on taking his own readings using the old fashioned mercury machine and a stethoscope.  Each time he wants to use the mercury machine, a nurse has to sign it out from a locked cabinet, stand by and return it to the locked a cabinet near the nurses station immediately. Something about it being full of hazardous waste and they don't want them broken, the doctor said.  He finds it amusing because these machine are treated pretty casually at the gov't hospitals.

Probably because of the mercury in the tube. But back home they are always in the examination rooms not locked up.

Surprised they are locked up here when there is so little safety procedures on anything else.

Sorry to reply so late but we were traveling and I didn't see this thread.

So Chang Moi Road, just after the Gate, on the way to Warorot Market.

On the right hand side of the road you will find a small shop selling meds and health kit like all types of BP machines and more. Its easy to miss it so walk slowly.

The prices are good and also the prices of various meds are good too, but as always, bargain for a better price, it often works there LOL

Of course the big Pharmacy in Bangkok near the Kings hospital is possibly the cheapest but thats a looooong way from CM LOL

4 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Probably because of the mercury in the tube. But back home they are always in the examination rooms not locked up.

Surprised they are locked up here when there is so little safety procedures on anything else.

Not all are locked up, and I suppose most are not locked up. I have never seen one that came from a locked cabinet.  I don't doubt Bangkok Hospital locks theirs up, I am just saying one should not presume all of these machines would be locked up just because one or a few are locked up.

As noted in NancyL's post, her doctor thought it amusing, so I would guess that also reflects not having seen many locked up.

On Omron units: I have and am still using an Omron machine I purchased on a trip to the U.S.A. about 15 years ago.

4 hours ago, Beats56 said:

No it's just Bangkok Hospital trying to adhere to international standards.  The rest of the hospitals leave the mercury filled instruments laying about.

51 minutes ago, laislica said:

Sorry to reply so late but we were traveling and I didn't see this thread.

So, Chang Moi Road, just after the Gate, on the way to Warorot Market.

On the right hand side of the road you will find a small shop selling meds and health kit like all types of BP machines and more. Its easy to miss it so walk slowly.

The prices are good and also the prices of various meds are good too, but as always, bargain for a better price, it often works there LOL

Of course the big Pharmacy in Bangkok near the Kings hospital is possibly the cheapest but thats a looooong way from CM LOL

a1.JPG

51 minutes ago, NancyL said:

No it's just Bangkok Hospital trying to adhere to international standards.  The rest of the hospitals leave the mercury filled instruments laying about.

Perhaps just Bangkok Hospital in your location as I use Bangkok Hospital (the real one) and my doctor in the heart hospital area does not have to get from any lockup - and ward nurse had access and used during official international standards inspection (US teams in the ward I used as well as monitoring doctor in OR) in July in the general hospital area.  

How many or us remember playing with mercury as kids?  How it broke apart into tiny silver balls under our fingers.  :shock1:

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by lopburi3

6 hours ago, peergin said:

Be careful when buying a blood pressure monitor. I seem to remember that American monitors provide readings in a unit that differs from those of European monitors. I don't remember exactly but there is a potential problem there.  

Here's an American: How to do type; video and they seem to use the same units, but at about 4:40 minutes they discuss the American JNC7 classification and perhaps you are referring to this?

I had mild hypertension in my 40's and my Dr put me on a beta blocker immediately.

I was a bit overweight at the time.

Some years later, still on 100 mg Atenolol, I did something about my diet and lost the excess weight and my blood pressure went crazily low.

The Dr said that I should stop the meds because losing the weight had allowed my BP to return to normal.

Just my experience and maybe a small clue for some others who could avoid the side effects of their meds?

Also, it's not only about systolic and diastolic pressure.

Consider this:

The difference between systolic (the upper number) and diastolic (the lower number) pressures is known as the pulse pressure:

Systemic pulse pressure = Psystolic - Pdiastolic

For a typical blood pressure reading of 120/80 mmHg the pulse pressure is therefore 40 mmHg.

It is proportional to stroke volume, the amount of blood pumped from the heart in one beat, and inversely proportional to the compliance or flexibility of the blood vessels, mainly the aorta.

A low (also called narrow) pulse pressure means that not much blood is being expelled from the heart, and can be caused by a number of factors, including severe blood loss due to trauma, congestive heart failure, shock, a narrowing of the valve leading from the heart to the aorta (stenosis), and fluid accumulating around the heart (tamponade).

High (or wide) pulse pressures occur during exercise, as stroke volume increases and the overall resistance to blood flow decreases. It can also occur for many reasons, such as hardening of the arteries (which can have numerous causes), various deficiencies in the aorta (mainly) or other arteries, including leaks, fistulas, and a usually-congenital condition known as AVM, pain/anxiety, fever, anemia, pregnancy, and more. Certain medications for high blood pressure can widen pulse pressure, while others narrow it. A chronic increase in pulse pressure is a risk factor for heart disease, and can lead to the type of arrhythmia called atrial fibrillation or A-Fib.

Know what your numbers mean:

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/AboutHighBloodPressure/Understanding-Blood-Pressure-Readings_UCM_301764_Article.jsp#.WFCbVFyN17k

As always, do your own research and check with your own Dr.

There are some misleading myths about the pressure should be 100 plus your age:

Not true as far as I know.

10 hours ago, peergin said:

Be careful when buying a blood pressure monitor. I seem to remember that American monitors provide readings in a unit that differs from those of European monitors. I don't remember exactly but there is a potential problem there.  

Believe you might be thinking about blood sugar reading? 

I'm Glad I peeked at this post. I am fortunate that as a veteran I can get BPM from the VA hospital in Chicago at no charge. Will definitely pack one before I move to LOS next year.  

Edited by themorn2112
change notification setting

On 12/15/2016 at 7:21 PM, lopburi3 said:

That's great but really do not believe $60 cost of a good unit locally should be a deterrent to non-vets.  Even if we had to forgo a drink or two to buy; it may provide us a lot more time on earth.  :smile:

I'll choose the "worse' of both worlds; I'll keep my 60 bills and use a perfectly functional "gov't" issued BPM (the model of which [Lifesource UA-767 plus; made in Japan no less] I have been using for some years now), and pocket the money for the "occasional (meaning 1/2 pint of brandy lasting me several months)" drink and a myriad of other things I can "splurge" on (The only thing smarter than saving money is not spending money at all if given the option). :passifier:

On 12/16/2016 at 7:11 AM, themorn2112 said:

I'm Glad I peeked at this post. I am fortunate that as a veteran I can get BPM from the VA hospital in Chicago at no charge. Will definitely pack one before I move to LOS next year.  

Just remember to remove the batteries if your bag is at or near the allowable weight limit. Batteries in LOS are cheap.

I've learned to take my BP monitor with me when we travel for more than just a few days.  We just returned from a several weeks trip that included a couple conventions (salty convention food) and get-togethers with folks who insisted on treating us to "local cuisine" that I could just tell was salty.   Normally, I have fruit, yogurt and cereal for breakfast and often our dinner is simply a big salad with a little grilled chicken or tuna and cheese in the salad.  

Needless to say, thanks to having the BP monitor, I realized my BP level was increasing and was able to adjust my medications accordingly during the trip.  Also, I it gave me the ammunition I needed to be insistent with our hosts during the final segment of the trip that it was my goal to find the best salad restaurants in their city.  (That was a bit of a challenge for them!)  

One persons idea of a salad may not be another.   If you are talking USA expect the food portions was also a major factor - it seems most moderate priced places base there appeal on the amount of real estate they can cover on your plate (which is normally huge).  :smile:

They call this an Asian Salad?

GH0138_asian-chicken-salad_s4x3.jpg