Expecting Fathers

Neeranam

When my wife was pregnant with our daughter, I remember getting some symptoms similar to my wife - mood swings, cravings for certain foods etc - really!

The other day when we were shopping, I found myself waddling like a duck - just like her! She's in her 7th month, :o

Is there any medical evidence of fathers getting pregnancy symptoms?

Ahhh, neeranam, that's really sweet. Mr Man didn't have any pregnancy related sympathy at all. He's a northern b@stard :o and as such the women folk are expected to shut up and put up. men all go down t'pub to talk whippets and shove ha'penny etc.

Mind you, once the girls were born he's a different man, very soft now couldn't toss a black pudding any more than 10 foot away...................... :D

When my wife was pregnant with our daughter, I remember getting some symptoms similar to my wife - mood swings, cravings for certain foods etc - really!

The other day when we were shopping, I found myself waddling like a duck - just like her! She's in her 7th month, :D

Yes, it has been known. Not uncommon in fact. But let's hope your sympathetic pregnancy symptoms stop before labour pains set in! :o

When my wife was pregnant with our son last year, there were times I felt naseous as if I had morning sickness although I felt that way mostly at night. On the other hand, she had none of the morning sickness that besets many expecting mothers and her pregnancy was smooth.

• 2 weeks later...

The other day when we were shopping, I found myself waddling like a duck - just like her! She's in her 7th month, :o

nope, no medical evidence whatsoever (AT ALL), so get over it! and be a good dad ok!?

there is/are however loads of related info on the net, especially in south amerca, africa, anyone that can operate a keyboard will find it.

right?

• 2 weeks later...

nope, no medical evidence whatsoever (AT ALL), so get over it! and be a good dad ok!?

there is/are however loads of related info on the net, especially in south amerca, africa, anyone that can operate a keyboard will find it.

right?

Actually there has been loads of medical research done on it from good ol' ACOG (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology) in the US to the Lancet and BMJ in the UK. It's a medically recognized condition called couvade. Typically expectant fathers experience one or more of the ff: nausea, heartburn, cravings, loose joints (your waddle?), breast tenderness, back pain...practically any women's pregnancy complaint can be on the list +various other unrelated physical pains such as toothache or leg pain. Studies find that the symptoms, when reported, are present in a diverse range of men from different socio-economic backgrounds, cultures and ethnic groups. There was even a study published in U of Alabama School of Nursing about couvade in Thai males (all 172 respondents reported symptoms) What's not clear though is what brings it on. So it does exist - it's not just in your brain and it's not just the extra jelly doughnuts-or whatever your indulgence of choice.

On a purely logical note, some people do have a tendency to unconciously mimic mannerisms of people they're in constant contact with. Could explain the waddle.

Good luck on your coming baby.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes of course there is evidence of those symptoms...just ask half the fathers out there....and there is also evidence that beer has female hormones in it.......the more men drink it the more they start to talk, become emotional etc...so there it is......!!