Breaking Work Contract Fee

Good evening,

Long story short I work for a dreadful Language School where staff are leaving non stop; I'd say maybe only 3 members of staff have served longer than a year. This is the sort of place where you barely get the hours each month but somehow work 6 days a week, get 12 days UNPAID holiday a year and work weekends!

Anyway I have been offered a job at a much better international school starting in the new year. Most teachers to move jobs at my current place leave the day after pay day and do a runner with the money essentially. I decided that I am more professional then this and opted to tell my school that I will be leaving. Unfortunately I can only provide them with a 3 week notice and my contract stipulates a 3 month notice; but being the only teacher to try and serve some notice and avoiding them immediate class closures I thought they would appreciate this.

Turns out they appreciate absoloutely nothing and it looks like they are going to hold onto my permit and potentially fine me up to 58,000 baht contract break fee. How enforceable is this fee and could it hinder me gaining  a new work permit?

11 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

why would they have possession of your work permit?

without a copy of your contract its very difficult to know what they could do.

Also they keep the work permit to attempt to stop teachers doing a runner; that being said if it was a more pleasant place to work there would be no worry of that.

Contract law is enforceable, but only if they take you to Court. For that amount, they are not going to. Just like every other teacher they never took to Court.

No worries about the work permit. Just go to the police station and report it lost. Hand the report instead of the work permit to your new employer so they can use that to cancel your previous work permit.

10 hours ago, blackcab said:

Contract law is enforceable, but only if they take you to Court. For that amount, they are not going to. Just like every other teacher they never took to Court.

No worries about the work permit. Just go to the police station and report it lost. Hand the report instead of the work permit to your new employer so they can use that to cancel your previous work permit.

As above.

How many teachers have they sued in the past.

Scare tactics.

18 hours ago, FrankThai said:

You signed a contract promising 3 months notice.

If you were professional, you would hold to your contract. 

Agreed and my cv to date is very good, I could obtain a glowing reference from any previous employer so I do try be professional, however this company have failed to deliver on anything they promise.