Beware dangerous box jellyfish in Koh Koot area of Trat

webfact

Beware dangerous box jellyfish in Koh Koot area of Trat

aaa.jpg

Picture: Naewna

TRAT: -- Local officials in Trat have issued a warning about the prevalence of dangerous box jellyfish after a tourist was severely hurt on an island on Saturday.

The local district chief of Koh Koot said that a man was treated on the island and later hospitalized with many wounds around the body.

The tourist who was not named was thereafter treated in Trat hospital on the mainland but had recovered, reported Naewna.

The district chief ordered an immediate survey of the area where the attack occurred and a further six dangerous box jellyfish were found near the shore where there are three popular resorts.

The jellyfish are of the Chironex Sp.C variety that are especially dangerous to swimmers.

Almost three hundred other jellyfish that are not classified as dangerous were also located in the area. These are of the Copula Sivickisi variety.

The affected area is around the resorts called Lazyday, Island Hut and Monkey Island.

Source: Naewna

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-14

An Australian friend was in his boat near Koh Samet over the weekend and said he thought he saw some box jellyfish. I know they do come this far north but I thought once rainy season finished they disappeared to pastures new, seems they  like they east side. Also there is a swimming area netted off in front of Kiang Talay  Resort on Hat Mae Rhumpung beach near Ban Phe, wonder if that's for jellyfish as I've seen some biggies washed up recently.

Edited by sandrabbit