Foreign English teacher attacked and raped in rice paddy - rapist hunted in Bangkok

webfact

46 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

One has to deal with and survive in the society that is, rather than the society one would wish it to be.

Nope. 

One has to live in a society where rapist scum are blamed for rape not their victims. 

It's certainly  the one I live in. 

Edited by Bluespunk

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, seahorse said:

Don't teach women to take their safety into their own hands. Leave their safety in the hands of rapists.

Who said don't teach safety?

This isn't about what is taught, this is about how we treat the victims of rape. 

This is about blaming the scum who rape, not their victims. 

8 hours ago, bannork said:

He's is not blaming the victim for the rape , he's criticizing her for putting herself through carelessness in a position where she can be raped.

It's not the same.

Think of an analogy of being hit by a  speeding car in the pouring rain when you are on a motorbike.

Adults had told you not to ride in the rain but you went.

.I don't blame you for the accident, you did not cause it but you could have avoided it by not going out on your bike.

So I blame you for your recklessness, not the accident, though that was the result of your carelessness.  

AKA blaming the victim. 

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Who said don't teach safety?

This isn't about what is taught, this is about how we treat the victims of rape. 

This is about blaming the scum who rape, not their victims. 

You keep posting that men need to be taught.

There is no lrgal excuse for rape or even being in an incident where you know a rape may happen and you do nothing to stop it.

I am not a lawyer, but I have heard of cases outside of Thailand where A eape occured and somone was in a position to stop it, but took no action.

As I say I don't know the law in Thailand, but in other countries being in that position and not trying to stop the rape can end with you gping to jail as well.

The famous example was in India where a crowd of peopke on a bus saw a rape occurring but did not try to stop it from  happening..

Some of them went to jail also for not trying to stop the rape.

2 minutes ago, seahorse said:

You keep posting that men need to be taught.

No I post rapists need to be blamed for rape and it is wrong to victim blame. 

Certainly it would help to teach that rape is wrong. 

I'd teach both genders though. 

Many institutions incorporate risk-reduction tips into their awareness messaging and we encourage the federal government to support this type of messaging.

Many respondents—survivors, faculty, and others—to our survey on the issue of campus sexual assault (see Appendix)endorsed this view as well. This recommendation is intended to impart tools of

empowerment, not victim blaming.

RAINN recommendations

Edited by seahorse
Tidied up formatting from cut and paste

Just now, Bluespunk said:

There is no difference.

It is still blaming the victim.

Jeez ......it is not blame. It is wishing she had greater awareness of the possible consequences of her decision to get on a motorbike with 2 strangers at night.

Ignorance can be deadly.

Men can be dogs, especially with alcohol  in their veins and especially at night.

Just now, bannork said:

Jeez ......it is not blame. It is wishing she had greater awareness of the possible consequences of her decision to get on a motorbike with 2 strangers at night.

Ignorance can be deadly.

Men can be dogs, especially with alcohol  in their veins and especially at night.

After someone is raped it has to be made clear nothing they did is responsible for what happened.

The only persons who is to be held responsible for anything are the scum who rape.

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

After someone is raped it has to be made clear nothing they did is responsible for what happened.

The only persons who is to be held responsible for anything are the scum who rape.

So nothing is learnt from what occured....all information regarding the behavior of the victim is of no consequence at all and nothing can be learned from it for future reference....In other words...carry on ladies get on the bike with whoever you like at any ungodly hour with two drunk men...No need to give advice to the contrary.....men just SHOULDNT RAPE and thats that. Well, that isnt going to work very well now is it?

The men that raped her are scum. We ALL agree on that. What advice, in hindsight would you have given that lady if she was your daughter....to possibly help PREVENT what happened? I am interested in your reply.

Just now, 248900_1469958220 said:

So nothing is learnt from what occured....all information regarding the behavior of the victim is of no consequence at all and nothing can be learned from it for future reference....In other words...carry on ladies get on the bike with whoever you like at any ungodly hour with two drunk men...No need to give advice to the contrary.....men just SHOULDNT RAPE and thats that. Well, that isnt going to work very well now is it?

The men that raped her are scum. We ALL agree on that. What advice, in hindsight would you have given that lady if she was your daughter....to possibly help PREVENT what happened? I am interested in your reply.

We are not talking about advice to be given.

We are talking about what is said about a victims actions after a rape occurs.

It has to be made clear that nothing they did was responsible for the rape.

The responsibility for any rape is 100% on the scum that rape.

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

If she had died in an accident with the two men because she got on the back of that bike, being aware the rider was drunk...is she then blameless? Another tragic event to be sure. People shouldn't drink and drive, it can be deadly and most people are aware of that. Is there at least some level of personal responsibility in this scenario? According to your line of reasoning no, the driver is just a bad guy that was drunk when he shouldn't have been. I don't get that logic? Life is full of risk. Precautions need to be taken. We CAN learn from what happened to her BECAUSE in part of her actions leading up to the tragic event. I am sorry but that just makes logical sense to me.

Just now, Bluespunk said:

We  need to talk about a victim's actions before a rape too to avoid any repetition.

Nobody is saying the victim is responsible for a rape but the victim armed with knowledge and foresight may be able to avoid a rape.

Just now, 248900_1469958220 said:

If she had died in an accident with the two men because she got on the back of that bike, being aware the rider was drunk...is she then blameless? Another tragic event to be sure. People shouldn't drink and drive, it can be deadly and most people are aware of that. Is there at least some level of personal responsibility in this scenario? According to your line of reasoning no, the driver is just a bad guy that was drunk when he shouldn't have been. I don't get that logic? Life is full of risk. Precautions need to be taken. We CAN learn from what happened to her BECAUSE in part of her actions leading up to the tragic event. I am sorry but that just makes logical sense to me.

Drink driving and rape are not the same thing and your analogy is not applicable.

However

Those who drink and drive know they are breaking the law. They are responsible for breaking the law and are responsible for their actions. I agree that getting into a car into a car with a drunk is inadvisable but the passenger is not responsible for the drivers actions.

However as I say your your analogy does not apply.

Rapists are predatory scum and whenever they rape they alone are responsible.

The victims bear no responsibility at all.

No matter how they dress or act, the rapist alone is responsible.

10 minutes ago, bannork said:

We  need to talk about a victim's actions before a rape too to avoid any repetition.

Nobody is saying the victim is responsible for a rape but the victim armed with knowledge and foresight may be able to avoid a rape.

Telling the victim how they behaved is ''careless'' or their actions were ''wrong''  is victim blaming.

The only persons whose actions are responsible for rape are the scum who rape.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Drink driving and rape are not the same thing and your analogy is not applicable.

However

Those who drink and drive know they are breaking the law. They are responsible for breaking the law and are responsible for their actions. I agree that getting into a car into a car with a drunk is inadvisable but the passenger is not responsible for the drivers actions.

However as I say your your analogy does not apply.

Rapists are predatory scum and whenever they rape they alone are responsible.

The victims bear no responsibility at all.

No matter how they dress or act, the rapist alone is responsible.

Those who drink and drive are breaking the law - ok got that, so is rape

They are responsible for breaking the law and their actions - Ok, so is the rapist...all clear so far

Getting into a car with a drunk is 'inadvisable' - Getting onto a motorbike with two drunk unknown men at night is also inadvisable for a lone female in a foreign country.

The passenger is not responsible for the drivers actions - The female is NOT responsible for the actions of the man raping her NO, I agree. However, the 'inadvisable' actions that she undertook could have been avoided if more common sense were used. Meaning, using your very own logic a bad consequence has occurred due to lack of foresight/judgement, to put it mildly. The woman is NOT responsible for a mans decision to force himself onto her. She does however have some part to play in the situation due to her poor judgement. Its this part of the equation that you REFUSE  to knowledge and that is a pity because its the kind of information that will hopefully STOP something like this happening again.....if good judgement is used....and round and round we go....My head hurts. 

Anyway, that's about enough. I have said my piece and the discussion is perhaps veering away from the article. I hope the bloke gets the book thrown at him and that the woman will be more cautious in future.

Edited by 248900_1469958220

8 minutes ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Those who drink and drive are breaking the law - ok got that, so is rape

They are responsible for breaking the law and their actions - Ok, so is the rapist...all clear so far

Getting into a car with a drunk is 'inadvisable' - Getting onto a motorbike with two drunk unknown men at night is also inadvisable for a lone female in a foreign country.

The passenger is not responsible for the drivers actions - The female is NOT responsible for the actions of the man raping her NO, I agree. However, the 'inadvisable' actions that she undertook could have been avoided if more common sense were used. Meaning, using your very own logic a bad consequence has occurred due to lack of foresight/judgement, to put it mildly. The woman is NOT responsible for a mans decision to force himself onto her. She does however have some part to play in the situation due to her poor judgement. Its this part of the equation that you REFUSE  to knowledge and that is a pity because its the kind of information that will hopefully STOP something like this happening again.....if good judgement is used....and round and round we go....My head hurts. 

Pick a different analogy.

Victims of rape have no responsibility for the actions of a rapist.

Nor should they or their actions be blamed for the rape occurring.

Yep I won't see that because it's not true.

Edited by Bluespunk

17 hours ago, madusa said:

This is going too far. Unless the Thai government is serious about this problem of violence and rape against foreign women the whole world is looking at Thailand and think badly of Thailand.

Is Thai government aware this report of violence and rape goes worldwide everybody is reading it?

Call Thailand a Buddhist country? Thailand is putting Buddhism to shame.

If I were a Thai I wouldn't know where to hide my face when ask about this matter. Low class scums. Yes, I am calling Thais as low class scums. That's what they are.

So about 40 million Thai men you say are low class scum. Really? Would that include my 12 year old son and my neighbours at 83 and 95 years old as low class scum?

In truth there are a small percentage of all Thai men and boys who are like this and are low class scum but the large majority of Thai men are not.

I read the local paper back home online and there are rapes the 2 or 3 times a week so does that mean that all British men are low class scum?

Police arrested the rape suspect Abhisit  or  On  Sahachartt today at a  camp for workers in Chonburi. He confessed to committing the crime with Somsak and said that he had liked the  teacher for a long time, his home was near to her hostel. The night of the rape  he saw her on the road so  he decided to deceive her in order to rape her. Abhisit  said he was unable to get an erection so the victim had to perform fellatio on him instead which under the new law constitutes rape.

1 minute ago, AGareth2 said:

any way some one is not telling the truth

she claims she was raped for 2 hours

he claims he couldn't get it up

Another  discrepancy- the report says the event occurred at 3.00 am yet the original report said at 10.00 pm.