Gold shop owner gives taxi driver 100,000 baht reward after leaving 3 million worth of gold and cash in his cab

webfact

Gold shop owner gives taxi driver 100,000 baht reward after leaving 3 million worth of gold and cash in his cab

gol.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

BANGKOK: -- A gold shop owner from Phitsanulok gave an honest cabbie a 100,000 baht reward after leaving a stash of gold ornaments and cash in his vehicle.

The gold shop owner had taken a cab from the Mor Chit bus station to downtown Bangkok. The owner intended to exchange the gold, contained in a bag, at Yaowarat, reports Thai News Agency.

There was also 300,000 baht in cash in the bag.

The passenger's first taxi got to Saphan Kwai when the driver asked the passenger to get out because he wasn't sure of the way. So the passenger changed to another cab.

When the passenger got out of the second cab they realized they did not have the bag. 

They thought they had left it in the first cab but after contacting a radio station and Bang Sue police they discovered this was not the case. The first taxi driver denied any knowledge of the bag.

The gold was in fact in the other vehicle whose driver had been trying to locate the owner. 

He mistakenly believed it belonged to another passenger and had been to their housing estate when the bag had finally been opened to reveal its valuable contents.

Finally the owner was contacted with the help of the radio station and it was smiles all round. 

The cabbie was given a 100,000 reward for his honesty and the gold owner also donated 30,000 baht to the radio station's wheelchair appeal fund.

No one was named in the Thai News Agency story.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-14

55 minutes ago, SoFarAndNear said:

What kind of lifestyle someone must have who forgot a heavy box full of gold in a taxi and didn't even notice it after switching the taxis.

What i heard is that it's common business in Chinatown to do everything cash on delivery, also trading gold. If you can't trust the banks than there's no other option left.

1 hour ago, SoFarAndNear said:

What kind of lifestyle someone must have who forgot a heavy box full of gold in a taxi and didn't even notice it after switching the taxis.

It's the charisma of the taxi drivers, the passengers get lost in the moment and the gold and cash fade from memory.......fair play for the driver for returning the goods.

Aaaaaaah...after all the rape-stories, here comes the good taxi-driver! But wait- something is wrong here!
No returning a rucksack full of cash and some valuable items to a forgetful farang, who thanked the honest cabbie and praised all of Thailand?
On the other hand: dude...you are a gold-shop owner and "forget" sacks of gold and cash in a taxi?
Please check your behind, before you forget that somewhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

10 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Aaaaaaah...after all the rape-stories, here comes the good taxi-driver! But wait- something is wrong here!
No returning a rucksack full of cash and some valuable items to a forgetful farang, who thanked the honest cabbie and praised all of Thailand?
On the other hand: dude...you are a gold-shop owner and "forget" sacks of gold and cash in a taxi?

I'm quite disappointed the taxi driver wasn't filmed masterbating at any point in this story.  

This is a feel good story. I wish it was like this in my own country, but sadly it's not. 

P.S. If that was a Vietnamese taxi, he would have told his boss to take this job and shove it, dumped his wife for a younger prettier model and disowned his kids so he could keep all the money. 

5 hours ago, SoFarAndNear said:

A gold shop owner's lifestyle? 

It wasn't in a "heavy box", it was in a bag, at night, not difficult to accidentally leave in the dark if you're distracted. 

There was nothing to notice after changing taxis, the bag was left in the 2nd one.

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

Didn't she just leave her bag which held the gold and cash in the taxi, not "sacks of gold and cash"?

Edited by gdgbb

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:
Yes a very good story about many Thais and it can shut-up all the negative posters here on the forum, which is worth gold too:wink:

Too late the taxi driver left his 100 grand reward money in another taxi and that taxi driver has handed that in and.....
The circle of life, its a wheel of fortune.

Edited by Wilsonandson

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

You understand overstatement, as a literal means to make a point?

:coffee1:

You were trying to make a point?    Really, what point?  The only thing that your gratuitous derision tried to do was mock the woman.

4 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

gold prices are down. Must be short of cash to sell it now..

The gold price is up*.  Must have wanted to take her profit.

*Depending on where your reference point is.

9 hours ago, seadigital said:

This is a feel good story. I wish it was like this in my own country, but sadly it's not. 

P.S. If that was a Vietnamese taxi, he would have told his boss to take this job and shove it, dumped his wife for a younger prettier model and disowned his kids so he could keep all the money. 

Not in my experience.

I took a taxi in Da Nang from my hotel to a shopping center. 20 minutes later the driver found me in a restaurant on the 3rd floor to give me 10,000 dong because when he gave me change I dropped the bill on the way out of the taxi. 

He spent 20 minutes of his time to return less than 50 cents to me. I have it back to him as a tip. 

18 hours ago, DM07 said:

My thoughts exactly.

7 hours ago, Guitar God said:

Not in my experience.

I took a taxi in Da Nang from my hotel to a shopping center. 20 minutes later the driver found me in a restaurant on the 3rd floor to give me 10,000 dong because when he gave me change I dropped the bill on the way out of the taxi. 

He spent 20 minutes of his time to return less than 50 cents to me. I have it back to him as a tip. 

Difficult to believe, 10 000 đồng is about 16 Baht.