Doctor advises taking brief shower to avoid gas risk from poor gas water heater 

webfact

Doctor advises taking brief shower to avoid gas risk from poor gas water heater 

632_Shower.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Tourists visiting hilltop hotel accommodations in the North are recommended to take shower briefly in bathrooms installed with gas water heaters during the cold season as buildup of carbon monoxide in the body could be hazardous to life.

The recommendation was made by Dr Tanarak Palibat, director of the Bureau of Epidemiology, as tourists are flocking to the Northern hilltop accommodations to spend the nights during long weekends.

He said that throughout the past nine years from 2008-2016, six people had died and 27 others were injured from carbon monoxide buildup in bodies while taking showers in bathrooms installed with gas water heaters.

Investigations later found that deaths were caused by substandard gas water heaters, and most cases happened in the North.

Leakages of gas from these heaters with no industrial standard certificates caused a buildup of carbon monoxide in the body which led to unconsciousness while taking long hour showers.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/doctor-advises-taking-brief-shower-avoid-gas-risk-poor-gas-water-heater/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-14

I think this means exhaust from the burning with no vent. Not unburned gas that could explode. It is never a good practice to burn any fuel inside a house in an unvented fireplace. That includes the indoor campfires the Hmong do as well as gas heaters. Fortunately many bathrooms are open air, ie no glass in the windows.

In most cases the problem would be the exhaust from the heater - not the heater itself.  These are often installed without exhaust at all as bathrooms traditionally are open window affairs but those not aware can cover windows to block the cold air during the cold season and carbon monoxide (CO) buildup can cause death if you stay very long.  In the 1960-70's almost all bathroom heaters were of the gas type and this was an issue everywhere - now most places use electric so not an issue.  But gas works much better for very cold water and is a lot cheaper - but it can be a killer.    

Edited by lopburi3

how stupid can they get, people have died but they will not make the people that own the buildings repair or fix them so that it cannot happen to anyone else, seems once again profits are put before peoples lives. Instead they tell people to take short showers, shows just how pathetic the mind set is here, dont fix the problem blame the guests.

Anyone know what type of water heater this was?

If it was flueless in a small enclosure with no ventilation then it's a bit of a recipe for disaster. Have to admit I haven't seen any of these in Thailand, but there are plenty of ancient old ascot water heaters running flueless in the UK still.

Even a four-burner gas hob, also flueless, can easily have a heat input of 7-8Kw.

That's going to use a lot of oxygen.

Point of use gas water heaters have been available here for many decades - I have had several before electric became available.  And they were not even intended to be vented in those days - at least now most will have provision for a vent system.  This is a currently advertised model.  http://mazuma.co.th/product/lpg-water-heater/lpg-10-5cr/

LPG-10-5CR_1

Actually there are many, many unregistered hotels and guest houses in Thailand.  It is in the news almost every week.  Most are small but there are still a lot of larger establishments also.  Most of us would not know by looking - just as we don't know which drinking establishments actually are legal (again many are not).

Well the guys advice is certainly correct ... if the flue vents into the bathroom, take a very quick shower if you really have to.   My background is Power Stations so I am well aware of the dangers of CO. Short term exposure to low concentrations of CO is not normally a problem, but obviously best avoided..

We have stayed in several places where LPG Heaters have been installed... Phu Tub Beok is one example where it vented into the bathroom but it did have a 'sort of' open window. Anyway it was too 'kin cold to spend more that a few seconds under the shower! Another place we stayed the bathroom was quite large and had quite big window vents. CO does not smell but you do get a 'smell' from the exhaust fumes.

These heaters are more common than you would think. Used very frequently where there is a limit, for whatever reason, on the electrical supply and as said not always vented externally.

13 hours ago, johnhender said:

What happened to the building inspectors you cant just build a hotel and not get inspections. It isn't like you can build a hotel and it not be noticed by the local officials 

Unless it is a huge illegal hotel in pattaya with a giant swimming pool which takes over the beach....

CO is heavier than air (O2). Installing a gas detector on the ceiling won't solve the CO problem and will give a false feeling of protection.

I have seen many gas detectors that were in fact CO detectors installed on the ceilings. They won't work and will only work when the whole room is filled with CO, then it is too late.

A CO-detector must be fitted on a low place. For example under the sink. (Best place is 5-10 cm above the ground.

18 hours ago, KevinCorr said:

I think this means exhaust from the burning with no vent. Not unburned gas that could explode. It is never a good practice to burn any fuel inside a house in an unvented fireplace. That includes the indoor campfires the Hmong do as well as gas heaters. Fortunately many bathrooms are open air, ie no glass in the windows.

I once stayed in a hotel in Indonesia where the water was heated by a gas burner in the bathroom.

I was told that a previous customer had 'committed suicide' while having a bath.

What was immediately obvious was that there was no flue for the heater, and more importantly, absolutely no ventilation to allow fresh air into the room.  

Shut the door, turn on the gas heater and you've had it!

Amazing that some people can't see the obvious, as nothing had been done to prevent more 'suicides'.

My house back home had CO detectors as well as smoke detectors through out the house. It's a building code law. They were all on the ceiling. Had one CO detector alarm at 3 am. Reset it and it went off again. got the whole family up and called the fire department. They came with a portable instrument and checked the house. It turned out a false alarm and said they do fail now and then and get it replaced which I did.

Better to.be safe than sorry.

Hang on. Did i read that correctly. A warning was issued. Wow, things are really turning around. Its just so rare for any health and safety issues to be addressed. 

Pity its just lip service. Nothing wrong with telling tourists to be careful of otherwise relatively safe things. That will keep them all happy and coming back knowing an article here and there night show up to save there life.

Pathetic. Atleast make up a committee that needs alot of funds for big lunches. 

23 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK: -- Tourists visiting hilltop hotel accommodations in the North are recommended to take shower briefly in bathrooms installed with gas water heaters during the cold season as buildup of carbon monoxide in the body could be hazardous to life.

Er, the shower eliminates carbon monoxide build-up? That is what he is apparently saying. I'm saying nothing about earlier showers-and-gas links.

21 hours ago, seajae said:

how stupid can they get, people have died but they will not make the people that own the buildings repair or fix them so that it cannot happen to anyone else, seems once again profits are put before peoples lives. Instead they tell people to take short showers, shows just how pathetic the mind set is here, dont fix the problem blame the guests.

What you have to do is realise this is Thailand:
A tourists life is cheap & replaceable...
repairs/replacements cost hard cash!
Thailand wins every time

2 hours ago, Redline said:

There is this very complex device called an exhaust fan.  Amazingly easy to install

That might end up taking the good air out and leaving the CO however.  Cross ventilation is not a strong selling point for bathrooms during the cold season.  

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 11:04 AM, FredNL said:

CO is heavier than air (O2). Installing a gas detector on the ceiling won't solve the CO problem and will give a false feeling of protection.

I have seen many gas detectors that were in fact CO detectors installed on the ceilings. They won't work and will only work when the whole room is filled with CO, then it is too late.

A CO-detector must be fitted on a low place. For example under the sink. (Best place is 5-10 cm above the ground.

Maybe read www.carbonmonoxidedetectorhq.com for the lowdown ... think I posted the site correct ...☺

Of course this is american CO ... YMMV

Edited by JAS21