Recommend a GPS app thats good for Thailand

ghworker2010

I find Google Maps app the best. For my touring bike I have a Garmin GPS but really 95% when I'm on a ride I use my iPhone. It doesn't hurt to have a reality check on the destination, especially if it's lessor known. I have been sent to the wrong place before, but once Google has the right place, it pretty good about getting you there. It's not perfect, but I'm often amazed how good. 

Do have gripes how the integration between Google Maps on my computer and Google Maps iPhone works (or doesn't).

Another thing to watch out is when make a wrong turn, or miss a turn, Google tends to try to find a new way, rather than just insist you should do a U-turn. It doesn't seem to like to backtrack. Sometimes this gets you on progressively smaller and smaller roads if you just keep following the instructions, and missing a few. More of an issue upcountry. 

I drive a lot "in the bush" of Thailand and in my experience Here Maps has the best maps in the rural areas. Even better, it works offline and it's free.

However, this is on Android and the OP is using an iPhone (some here seem to have missed this) and I have no idea whether Here Maps is available on the iPhone.

Quick search: yes, it is - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/here-wego-city-navigation/id955837609?mt=8

I got a ram mount for my phone in my car. So i can look at it for its GPS function. It works great google maps saves places better, finds places better and is better at sharing places than the garmin devices that i used before. 

An added advantage is that is also has traffic information and makes sure you always drive the best route. Sure you can still go wrong at times when there are many roads close together. But in general I like it a lot.